XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Possible project

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 02:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible project

Hi guys, ive just joined today and im looking for advice help , a slap in the face, the truth im scared, I have just spent a lot of time restoring a VW Scirocco and then a Polo the little breadvan type.

I went to see someone today looking to buy a Morris Minor but i seen these two beauties and im contemplating getting one whilst my son has the other the red one.

What am i likely to face?

Old 08-27-2018, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

If you wanted a project, you've found one !

Rust repair-paint-chrome-leather can run into serious money but you probably already know that!

Most mechanical stuff on these cars is well within the realm of a decent DIYer. Most mechanical parts are readily available and not hugely expensive. Great internet support, too!

It's a fair bet that every sub-system will need attention: brakes, fuel system, suspension, HVAC, etc. But, if you're planning an actual restoration you'll be overhauling each system anyway

The Jag 6-cylinder engines are rugged old birds. There's a decent chance that the engine itself won't need any any significant work.

XJSs are fabulous cars once everything is sorted out.

Cheers
DD

Old 08-28-2018, 11:19 AM

Thank you Doug the only thing I can’t s is weld but I think I’m going to buy a mug welder and learn about it , yeh I’ve been told by so many people these engines are amazingly good sadly it’s been sat outside for 10 years so rust will be our biggest issue I think .

Im going in Wednesday to attempt to start it as it won’t be worth it if it’s a non runner but it’ll be a challenge and hopefully fun on the way for myself and my son .

we've done two cars already but this is a far bigger project off us .

there will be blood sweet tears and arguments I’m sure but if it’s in the road within a year and we get a drive in it I’ll be extremely happy then we can start in the red one of his

Old 08-28-2018, 11:36 AM
Received 267 Likes on 199 Posts

Don't be amazed if it doesn't start, but don't necessarily let that put you off. Fuel pumps die when not used, but are a simple fix on a car of that age, or a connector could be disconnected if someone's been fiddling under the bonnet.

Also, I'm in for pics of the Blue Rover P6 and intrigued to see more of what looks like a bright yellow Granada with something attached to the roof!

The following users liked this post:
Jammymutt (08-28-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by bladerunner919
Don't be amazed if it doesn't start, but don't necessarily let that put you off. Fuel pumps die when not used, but are a simple fix on a car of that age, or a connector could be disconnected if someone's been fiddling under the bonnet.

Also, I'm in for pics of the Blue Rover P6 and intrigued to see more of what looks like a bright yellow Granada with something attached to the roof!
Im going back tomorrow night there are at least 4 or 5 Rover P6s with V8 engines sitting there all for sale under £1000 each 2 Morris Minor split screens , a Mk1 3ltr Capri I tihnk the granad has something to do with a gumball rally or something like that.

Theres a Wolseley andother Mk1 Capri in a bad state so many nice old cars and all for sale !!!

Old 08-28-2018, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 892 Posts

Don't write it off JUST because it doesn't start after sitting for as long... Usually it's not a complicated fix to get it running... And,,, the folks here will walk you thru most anything... Rust does matter!

Old 08-29-2018, 01:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,089 Likes on 5,352 Posts

Be very careful, say I. To get those cars back to decent condition, inside and out, will be a great deal of work and a very great deal of cash - even if the cash part is limited to buying the required parts. Welding ability is essential, and welding bodywork is not easy - I would go on a bodywork welding course before buying.
Looking at the pics, I can see loads of parts that look in poor condition, and for sure every single rubber bush and mount will need renewing, and a great deal will need spending on the interior parts, if they can be found at reasonable prices.
From a budgetary point of view, I would try to find a running car, or a car that has no serious rust at all that someone has given up on or just got fed up with. Undoubtedly a running car you can "rolling restore" will be cheaper as a project that these two; and undoubtedly a rust free car will be a far better basis for a full restoration. 3.6 engine cars in the UK, with MoTs are not particularly sought after or expensive, either.

orangeblossom (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 01:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 424 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Be very careful, say I. To get those cars back to decent condition, inside and out, will be a great deal of work and a very great deal of cash - even if the cash part is limited to buying the required parts. Welding ability is essential, and welding bodywork is not easy - I would go on a bodywork welding course before buying.
Looking at the pics, I can see loads of parts that look in poor condition, and for sure every single rubber bush and mount will need renewing, and a great deal will need spending on the interior parts, if they can be found at reasonable prices.
From a budgetary point of view, I would try to find a running car, or a car that has no serious rust at all that someone has given up on or just got fed up with. Undoubtedly a running car you can "rolling restore" will be cheaper as a project that these two; and undoubtedly a rust free car will be a far better basis for a full restoration. 3.6 engine cars in the UK, with MoTs are not particularly sought after or expensive, either.
j

greg has it summed up. I have done the mechanicals on my car and things are not cheap. Still a long way to go as well. I did all my own welding and that took some time. If you have restored a car before you will know how much effort is involved beside cash. Like I said Greg has it in a nutshell.

orangeblossom (08-29-2018)