XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Rear Clunking source found

Old 05-17-2019, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts
Default Rear Clunking source found

Looks like this seal is perished- multiple times- no wonder I hear a loud clunk going over pot holes. I will certainly be replacing both sides, but if there is an obvious other bushing I should refresh when this gets done, please let me know

Old 05-17-2019, 09:33 PM
Received 10,286 Likes on 6,807 Posts

The small bushes at the front of that arm will be simple when its off for that large refurbish.

Old 05-18-2019, 03:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Mark,

From that photo, your radius arm looks in pretty good condition as regards corrosion. However, if it's not perfect, it's often more cost effective to buy a new arm complete with bushes fitted, rather than having new bushes fitted to your original arm. Search around for prices.

If you do just change the bush, you might want to consider tightening up the ride a bit by installing the bush at 90 degrees to the original fitment. In other words, with the air gaps in the bush to the sides, rather than front to back. This tightens the axle movement a bit and was the way they were fitted to XJR-S cars.

Cheers

Paul

Old 05-18-2019, 08:31 AM
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
Looks like this seal is perished- multiple times- no wonder I hear a loud clunk going over pot holes. I will certainly be replacing both sides, but if there is an obvious other bushing I should refresh when this gets done, please let me know

I find it interesting that the bracket that is supposed to hold the bushing bolt steady or aligned properly is not in line with the expected movement of the radius arm. Since the job of the radius arm is to set a distance for the hub to remain, any movement would be in the fore and aft direction. This would try to move the securing bolt and bushing in a fore and aft movement but the securing bracket to oppose that is on an angle of that direction rather than in the same direction, so there would still be movement. Why was the holding bracket installed this way?

Old 05-18-2019, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ptjs1
Mark,

From that photo, your radius arm looks in pretty good condition as regards corrosion. However, if it's not perfect, it's often more cost effective to buy a new arm complete with bushes fitted, rather than having new bushes fitted to your original arm. Search around for prices.

If you do just change the bush, you might want to consider tightening up the ride a bit by installing the bush at 90 degrees to the original fitment. In other words, with the air gaps in the bush to the sides, rather than front to back. This tightens the axle movement a bit and was the way they were fitted to XJR-S cars.

Cheers

Paul
Thanks, I will have them install the air gaps on the sides in that case. The transmission mount and the tie rod ends will be getting done on the same day.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by carsnplanes
I find it interesting that the bracket that is supposed to hold the bushing bolt steady or aligned properly is not in line with the expected movement of the radius arm. Since the job of the radius arm is to set a distance for the hub to remain, any movement would be in the fore and aft direction. This would try to move the securing bolt and bushing in a fore and aft movement but the securing bracket to oppose that is on an angle of that direction rather than in the same direction, so there would still be movement. Why was the holding bracket installed this way?

Is this an eccentricity that pertains to my car only, or do all the cars that bushing installed like this from the factory?. I am going to ask my mechanic to press the new ones in as Paul indicates

Old 05-18-2019, 08:38 PM
Received 10,286 Likes on 6,807 Posts

The task of that bracket is to retain the arm in place, sort of, in the event of total failure of the large bush. It is a SAFETY bracket, nothing to do with what the arm does, never was intended as such. That bush sits over a pod style thingy attached to car frame.

Apparently some markets reported that bush failing completely, and the arm dropping down and hitting the tarmac with the usual resulted damage, as in OOPS.

This was waaaaaaay before the XJS was twinkle in the Jaguar eye. My 1965 S Type had them, the 1963 MK10 did not.

My take was that the "mechanic/caretaker", servicing the car, and dutifully greasing all points as Jaguar required, failed to notice perished bushes, so the bracket appeared to cover "stupids" backside, MY OPINION, and the word at the Dealer back on my time.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 05-19-2019 at 01:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (05-19-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member

Solved. Clunking completely gone. This was exclusively a transmission mount issue.