XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Removing door panel

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 02:41 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Removing door panel

Hey everyone, so jaguar doesn't have the window I need so I got one off ebay. The one thing I cannot figure out is how to take off the driver side door panel. I got the screws and popped most of the plastic pieces. However, I cannot find what holds the arm rest on. I don't see screws but it doesn't feel free floating. Any suggestions? thanks guys! -Adam

Old 05-26-2011, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

I believe the chrome surround on the forward part of the armrest slides back. You might wrap the armrest tightly in some tape and then put some lubrication on the tape. Once you slide the chrome surround back onto the tape, you'll see a screw(s).

Old 05-26-2011, 05:38 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When you get the armrest screw out, remember to lift the entire door panel straight up. Then disconnect the wires to the red light in the arm rest. Mine is apart so let me know if you need pictures.

XJSPaul

Old 05-26-2011, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

yeah thats exactly it,pull back the metal trim on the part of the armrest furthest forward and there should be a big philips head screw.

There are tabs inside the panel so yeah, you have to lift up. I have replaced my door handle and my speaker. its pretty easy but tape off the leather before that metal ring or itll get scruffed up

Old 05-26-2011, 07:00 PM

ok i'll probably end up doing this tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

Old 05-29-2011, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by XJSPaul
When you get the armrest screw out, remember to lift the entire door panel straight up. Then disconnect the wires to the red light in the arm rest. Mine is apart so let me know if you need pictures.

XJSPaul
i have the one chrome part off on the front end. and got the screw out. are there more screws on the back side of the armrest or is the arm rest kind of attached to the panel itself? if you are able i would like pictures haha i am slightly lost. Thank you -Adam

Old 05-29-2011, 11:25 AM

i got the panel off! now its just a wrestling match to get this window in. Any pointers? it looks like it just goes down into the door and then the slider wheel goes into the track. any screws or anything that need to be put on?

Trending Topics

Old 05-29-2011, 02:49 PM

operation success! window is in and works like new! woot woot! also got a wiper motor...which doesnt work -_- leads me to think some electrical gremlin is causing havoc >_<

Old 05-30-2011, 10:23 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam78
operation success! window is in and works like new! woot woot! also got a wiper motor...which doesnt work -_- leads me to think some electrical gremlin is causing havoc >_<
Be sure to coat the upper and lower "U" channels that the roller runs in with Lubriplate or some other long lasting waterproof lubricant or the roller will be shreded in a short time and you will have to do the repair all over again.

XJSPaul

Old 07-05-2011, 08:36 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Flint Ironstag
I believe the chrome surround on the forward part of the armrest slides back. You might wrap the armrest tightly in some tape and then put some lubrication on the tape. Once you slide the chrome surround back onto the tape, you'll see a screw(s).
Do you recall what kind of tape and lubrication you used? I tried pulling back the chrome surround and it was so tight I didn't think tape would protect the leather there so I stopped trying. TIA.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

you can put anything liek duct or masking tape on it and then the oil or whatever is just to help it slide, its not THAT bad but if you do it a couple of the times the chrome piece will make the surface rough and its real bad for the stitching.

the chrome simply pops on and off another piece of metal so its a matter of using enough force. Try using a flat blade screwdriver but don't use the end to pivot, put your finger halfway up or something and pivot off that.

or jsut hold it halfway down and dont pivot the screwdriver but rather use it to pull on the chrome while you wiggle it with your free hand.

i always hate interior stuff because the line between breaking and coming apart is so fine and most of the time we all thing its going to break.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
you can put anything liek duct or masking tape on it and then the oil or whatever is just to help it slide, its not THAT bad but if you do it a couple of the times the chrome piece will make the surface rough and its real bad for the stitching.

the chrome simply pops on and off another piece of metal so its a matter of using enough force. Try using a flat blade screwdriver but don't use the end to pivot, put your finger halfway up or something and pivot off that.

or jsut hold it halfway down and dont pivot the screwdriver but rather use it to pull on the chrome while you wiggle it with your free hand.

i always hate interior stuff because the line between breaking and coming apart is so fine and most of the time we all thing its going to break.

Thanks, I'll try the masking tape/oil. I did manage to get the chrome piece off of the piece of metal holding it on, but even after that it was so tight it was going to scuff up the leather. It's actually already scuffed a bit from the previous owner as he put in aftermarket speakers.