XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Removing/straightening chrome (windscreen)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 04:00 PM
Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Removing/straightening chrome (windscreen)

Hello,

I'm slowly working my way through a number of issues with my beautiful if previously somewhat under-maintained (not quite neglected) '89 XJ-S.

One of the issues is that the bracket-shaped chrome piece along the left side of the windscreen has come up at the bottom and the plastic seal across the top where the windscreen meets the body is dried, cracked and missing about 1.5" of seal along the top.

I'm wondering if anyone in this forum has experience (enough to draft a quick How-To) on:

• drilling out the rivets that hold the chrome piece / replacing it
and/or
  • replacing the windscreen seals. I bought a windscreen resealing kit from Jag-Bits but it didn't come with much in the way of instructions or, more importantly, experience.

I'm guessing the latter will require removal of the windscreen itself but maybe not (hope springs eternal)?

Thanks in advance,
Rhett

Old 10-18-2012, 01:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,092 Likes on 5,355 Posts

If the screen seal has perished, replace it. A good windscreen shop can do it easily, but CUT the old seal off, do not try to remove the glass by any other method or it will likely break. (Do not ask!). New screen seals are not that expensive, in UK at least. I would forget the screen repair bodge stuff, sorry!

Remove the chrome trim (actually stainless) surrounds yourself. Not too hard; rivets to drill out as you find them, and when replacing the trim, it can be trial fitted and fettled a bit to lie nicely. FWIW I have had good success with gunking up the space below the trim at the scuttle, and blocking off the A pillar drain channel with sealer too. This tends to keep the whole area round the screen rust free (free-er).

Final advantage, if there are any horrors beneath the screen/trim, they can be fixed before refitting.

Last edited by Greg in France; 10-18-2012 at 01:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Rhett (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 02:17 PM
Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Thanks Greg. What I bought was a new set of seals. I should have been more clear. But thanks for the advice about not removing the windscreen.

May I ask: What size drill bit did you use to drill out the rivets and what size screws did you use to mount the A pillar back on?

Thanks again,
Rhett

Originally Posted by Greg in France
If the screen seal has perished, replace it. A good windscreen shop can do it easily, but CUT the old seal off, do not try to remove the glass by any other method or it will likely break. (Do not ask!). New screen seals are not that expensive, in UK at least. I would forget the screen repair bodge stuff, sorry!

Remove the chrome trim (actually stainless) surrounds yourself. Not too hard; rivets to drill out as you find them, and when replacing the trim, it can be trial fitted and fettled a bit to lie nicely. FWIW I have had good success with gunking up the space below the trim at the scuttle, and blocking off the A pillar drain channel with sealer too. This tends to keep the whole area round the screen rust free (free-er).

Final advantage, if there are any horrors beneath the screen/trim, they can be fixed before refitting.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:49 AM
Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

1\8th drill bit, go easy. When the head of the rivet comes off and is on the drill bit tip you're just about there. A little bit more and you should be done. It is a 1\8th hole and a subsequent size screw will work or you can re-rivet the part. I would use stainless rivets if you can find them. Before reinstalling the lower stainless part, be sure to notice the double stick foam tape that was used to secure the leading edge. You'll notice you will need to use a rather thick piece of replacement double stick tape. If you can't locate this then double up on the DST to achieve the proper thickness to hold the chrome piece down. If you don't do this the part tends to stick up in front and debris gets under that you will be constantly cleaning out. Hope this helped Bud

Old 06-11-2016, 05:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Removing chrome trim from windscreen (1987 XJ)

I am removing my windshield so as to do proper bodywork. I am not certain how the chrome trim is removed. I am not able to see or feel retaining clips or rivets and there is so much urethane bonding the chrome, wrapped around the glass... do I just use my windshield removal tool to cut underneath of it?

Attached Thumbnails Removing/straightening chrome (windscreen)-20160611_164658-1.jpg  

Last edited by Robert Leonardo; 06-11-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Robert Leonardo
I am removing my windshield so as to do proper bodywork. I am not certain how the chrome trim is removed. I am not able to see or feel retaining clips or rivets and there is so much urethane bonding the chrome, wrapped around the glass... do I just use my windshield removal tool to cut underneath of it?
If it is a saloon you have, best to enquire on the saloon forum about the chrome trim. In principle, though, as far as the rubber is concerned, cut it to get the screen out, or you risk breaking the screen, and use a new rubber when you refix the screen.
Greg

Last edited by Greg in France; 06-12-2016 at 09:10 AM.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Greg,

I am not sure how relevant that may be to Robert's car. Although posted here, he doesn't seem to have an XJS. That pic looks like a Series 3 saloon to me?

Paul

Old 06-12-2016, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ptjs1
Greg,

I am not sure how relevant that may be to Robert's car. Although posted here, he doesn't seem to have an XJS. That pic looks like a Series 3 saloon to me?

Paul
Whoops, so it is Paul, I have edited it a bit now. Thanks
greg

Last edited by Greg in France; 06-12-2016 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 718 Likes on 552 Posts

The XJ series III saloons do not install or remove like the XJS at all, totally a different arrangement, the trim is bonded on and the windshield and rear glass are bonded on to the frame and must be cut out with the proper windshield cut/pull handle tool. I've done both my XJS and my old series III XJ. The XJS is the old VW type with the rudder seal being the grip to the windshield frame and glass, the XJ6/12 is more modern bonding/glazing install type. . He needs to go over to the proper forum.

The following 2 users liked this post by JTsmks:
Greg in France (06-13-2016), Robert Leonardo (06-12-2016)