XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

speedometer for manual transmission ideas?

Old 03-21-2012, 09:50 PM
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Default speedometer for manual transmission ideas?

i converted my xjs to a five speed, and tonight for the first time i actually got to drive it, but the speedometer doesnt seem to work, with the transducer (was supposed to work) i got and plugged in the stock wiring harness. so i need a new one, and dont have any idea other than a standalone mounted to the A column.

ANY IDEAS?!!?!?!? D:

Old 03-21-2012, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

first ill need pics of the trans, shifter, clutch pedal, etc. to further diagnose the issue. then ill need a complete write up, a print out of total expenses, a part # catalog of what parts you used, or what kit you purchased, some before/after 0-60 times, along with some before/after 1/4 mile times, and then ill be able to get back to you with an answer.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:44 PM

just do the manual conversion, it may seem expensive but when you let the clutch out on a jaguar v12, youll instantly forget how much it cost. it has costed me about 4g but thats because im a little bit too enthusiastic, and buy every high performance part i can find. I ACTUALLY HAVE A VIDEO OF ME DRIVING IT NOW! and ill post that as soon as my phone charges. you need a ford t5 world class, with heavy duty gear set, ( if youre not modding your engine to over 350 hp 650$ rebuilt from ebay, if you have 400-425 youre talking about 1000-1100$ from ebay anything more and you need a tko500 or moderndriveline trans and they are big money) get the bell from fivespeeds 550$ flywheel from www.thedrivenman.com gm 10.5 in pressure plate, and ford 10.5in clutch. ask Robert from the driven man for a pilot bearing or have a bushing machined to fit which ever one youve got. whatever throwout bearing you want (i used mcleod) because it allows me to remove the trans without taking off the bell. the for the clutch just examine and make your own with a wilwood compact remote MC. im just running a standalone electric speedo on the hood partly because itll make me look bada** and partly because im lazy. and need to get it inspected. for the clutch pedal, https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...eenager-66012/ that forum has pics, i got a 2nd brake pedal and bent it.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:53 PM

honesly, dont be a baby, and i mean that in the most endeering way possible seeing as i take the things you say for gospel, and were all friends on here (or at least i hope) im 17, my xjs was my first car, i bought it for 740$ and ended up dumping my entire college savings into it, in order to build the perfect classy perrformance car, I did the five speed conversion flying by the seat of my pants with no information ( i didnt even know what a pilot bearing was untill i realized i needed one ) and its been so stressfull untill like the last couple days where i have got to do donuts in the gravel of my neighbors driveway (havent worked up the nerve to do it on pavement yet) and just feel that awesomeness of a five speed behing a V12. AND if you do it, you might end up looking as kickin' as i do in my manual xjs

Old 03-23-2012, 02:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,076 Likes on 5,344 Posts

Congratulations, totally great achievement. Hope you do get that custom shop! Post the pics etc ASAP!

Greg

Old 03-23-2012, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by calvindoesntknow
honesly, dont be a baby, and i mean that in the most endeering way possible seeing as i take the things you say for gospel, and were all friends on here (or at least i hope) im 17, my xjs was my first car, i bought it for 740$ and ended up dumping my entire college savings into it, in order to build the perfect classy perrformance car, I did the five speed conversion flying by the seat of my pants with no information ( i didnt even know what a pilot bearing was untill i realized i needed one ) and its been so stressfull untill like the last couple days where i have got to do donuts in the gravel of my neighbors driveway (havent worked up the nerve to do it on pavement yet) and just feel that awesomeness of a five speed behing a V12. AND if you do it, you might end up looking as kickin' as i do in my manual xjs
fly by the seat of my pants with no information is how i roll bra. i was just hoping there was a cheaper way since i also want to do the Weber conversion ASAP. im such a cheapskate. im 21 so money gets tight sometimes. congrats on your EPIC WIN.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

good work, it takes someone who just wants to be ahead of the pack!!

now you should have been around 16yrs ago, when all those fancy pieces did not exist YET! reading thru you parts list you did spend serious money!

speed ometer,, comon now! you guys, i added a GPS with full face speedometer, just last year. and it is far more accurate than an old speedo, and very simple to install.

i have always been ahead of the pack!!

The following users liked this post:
M90power (03-23-2012)
Old 03-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ronbros

now you should have been around 16yrs ago, when all those fancy pieces did not exist YET! reading thru you parts list you did spend serious money!

speed ometer,, comon now! you guys, i added a GPS with full face speedometer, just last year. and it is far more accurate than an old speedo, and very simple to install.

this forum needs a "like" button.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:42 PM

btw m90, i like your xjs, its got this feel of "classy" because of the tan and the fact that its a jaguar but the feel of "i like to party" because of the craigers and the race seats. im looking to put 17 by 8/9 with 245 275 on my car, on BMW style lm tuning fork wheels.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member

thanks for the compliments. i like XK wheels better, but im certainly not complaining about the Cragars. i wish the dude would have went wider with the tires though. theyre too skinny. i love the race buckets. sooooo comfy.

looking forward to pics of yours. also pics of the column.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

You young blokes need to learn punctuation - break the paragraph up so us OLD farts can read it.

First I would go back the TDM and ask them for instructions on how to connect the speedo. If you have no success there then I have a number of thoughts that would work.

I recently replaced the 2.88 rears with 3.58 including the hemishphere so I have lost my speedo transducer (which is in the diff on my car), I am planning on using the rear ABS sensors to drive the speedo, I will make my own interface unit to condition the signal for the OEM speedo unit.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by ronbros

Pics or it didnt happen, seriously!!!!!!!!!

The following users liked this post:
M90power (03-28-2012)