XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

steering rack bushings and adjustment nut

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 01:25 PM
Received 178 Likes on 128 Posts
Default steering rack bushings and adjustment nut

I was reading Palm's description of the steering rack bushings and, since I have the front of the car on jacks for another purpose I thought I'd have a look.

I took the photos from under (more or less) the steering rack, with one photo looking towards the left (single bolt in it) and one towards the right (two bolts in it). It's a LHD car.

Am I correct that these are the three bolts that hold the steering rack in place, and that the questionable bushings are on these bolts?

I had the steering rack replaced just over a year ago, but I wasn't sophisticated enough at the time to ask if they were using OEM bushings or after market.

A few questions...

Is there a way to test for a steering rack issue, either by driving it, or when the front end is on jacks? The only knows steering issue I have is that when I let go of the wheel the car will slightly veer to the right with the steering wheel doing the same. It's not really a "problem" (yet) but if I knew what the fix was I would fix it.

In one photo you can see a large nut with a screw thread in it that adjusts something (it's on the bottom of the steering rack). What does this adjust?

Thanks,

John
1987 XJ-S V12
63,000 miles

Attached Thumbnails steering rack bushings and adjustment nut-steering-rack-bushing-right.jpg   steering rack bushings and adjustment nut-steering-rack-bushings-left.jpg   steering rack bushings and adjustment nut-adjustment-bolts.jpg  
Old 11-18-2013, 01:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

That certainly does not look like a new rack and bushes. I would also be looking at the cracking in photo 1

Old 11-18-2013, 01:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,092 Likes on 5,355 Posts

Originally Posted by J_C_R

Am I correct that these are the three bolts that hold the steering rack in place, and that the questionable bushings are on these bolts?

YES

I had the steering rack replaced just over a year ago, but I wasn't sophisticated enough at the time to ask if they were using OEM bushings or after market.

FYI the best bushings IMO are the JaguarSport bushings. They will not allow 'slop' (unlike the standard ones) and are more compliant than poly bushes.

A few questions...

Is there a way to test for a steering rack issue, either by driving it, or when the front end is on jacks?

The standard Jaguar bushings, if they are worn/old, allow the rack to move, instead of the wheels, when the steering wheel is turned, as the bushings do not hold the rack firmly to the subframe. If your bushings are worn, when you turn the wheel slightly, the wheels do not move, so the car does not turn to begin with. This is the test.

The only knows steering issue I have is that when I let go of the wheel the car will slightly veer to the right with the steering wheel doing the same. It's not really a "problem" (yet) but if I knew what the fix was I would fix it.

When the rack is rebushed the wheel alignment has to be redone, and the rack centred - this latter is most important. Pulling one way slightly is not a symptom of worn rack bushings, more of poor alignment, OR, correctly aligned wheels but the rack not centred, so the power steering self centering tends to want to steer the car against the straight line of the wheel geometry.

In one photo you can see a large nut with a screw thread in it that adjusts something (it's on the bottom of the steering rack). What does this adjust?

I am pretty sure that this is a factory set backlash adjuster which is used to set up the rack/pinion clearance and should not be touched.

Thanks,

John
1987 XJ-S V12
63,000 miles
Greg

Old 11-18-2013, 06:42 AM
rgp
Veteran Member
Received 379 Likes on 285 Posts

I am pretty sure that this is a factory set backlash adjuster which is used to set up the rack/pinion clearance and should not be touched.

as far as I can see by Bernard Embden's Website the big nut with the plug in the middle is for rack centring just the middle plug, I have never done this though.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

I agree with Warrjohn about the cracking. Unless my eyes are deceiving me it looks like one of the mounting ears is almost totally separated from the subframe.

Cheers
DD

Old 11-18-2013, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by rgp

as far as I can see by Bernard Embden's Website the big nut with the plug in the middle is for rack centring just the middle plug, I have never done this though.

Right. If you remove the small plug in the center you can insert a small screwdriver or similar to "center" the rack. This would be done when performing a wheel alignment and/or centering the steering wheel

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
rgp (11-18-2013)
Old 11-18-2013, 10:06 AM
Received 178 Likes on 128 Posts

Thanks for all that! The "crack" is actually just a shadow caused by the camera flash...I just crawled under it to confirm, so there is no cracking.

The steering wheel seems to be centered properly, so I'll just leave the center adjustment alone.

The car still wants to pull to the right a bit when I take my hands off the wheele...I suppose I need to drive on the other side of the road to see if it's the slope of the pavement that is causing it.

Thanks,

John
1987 XJ-S V12
63,000 miles

Old 11-18-2013, 10:44 AM
rgp
Veteran Member
Received 379 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by J_C_R
I suppose I need to drive on the other side of the road to see if it's the slope of the pavement that is causing it.
I tried that coming home from the pub last night. its very dodgy! lol

Old 11-18-2013, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Right. If you remove the small plug in the center you can insert a small screwdriver or similar to "center" the rack. This would be done when performing a wheel alignment and/or centering the steering wheel

Cheers
DD
Doug is correct I wheel aligned my car last week. You can insert a 3/16 drill to center the rack.

Multi lane roads are best to check for alignment as the camber tends to be less than narrower roads (at least here in Sydney). Checking the alignment is very easy. I did mine with 2 poles and string, or just take it to a shop and have the alignment checked.