XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Thoughts on removing AC gear under hood?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 09:50 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Thoughts on removing AC gear under hood?

Would I be banished from the "shrine" and ostracized if I were to consider removing the AC pump and any associated plumbing under the hood, in the name of cleaning up the engine valley and other congested areas? -My AC has not worked since buying the car (Hell, I still don't have heat in the car), and since I live in Atlantic Canada, and it is a convertible afterall, I don't think we'll be needing the cooling from an AC that badly.
I can see from a classic point of view, I may be ruining the re-sale value, however this car is to be driven and enjoyed for as long as I can.
Will the heater controls still provide me with basic heat, ventilation and defrost/defog with the compressor removed?
With the car at a good shop right now, and about to have a complete tuneup done lateer this week, it certainly would be the time to have the mechanic remove the gear properly while he raises the AC pump to change the plugs.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,747 Likes on 7,099 Posts

Personal choice. It's your car, after all! Make whatever foolish mistakes strike your fancy

:-) :-)

I'd rather fix than remove but that's just me. I use climate control 24/7/365 and don't like open cars so I'm not even on the same page as you :-)

Heat, ventilation, defog etc will still work. You just won't have refrigerated air...but you don't have that anyway if the system isn't working. You also won;t have dehumidified air which helps defog the glass more easily but, here again, if the a/c isn't working then you don't have that benefit anyway.

Cheers
DD

Old 12-04-2012, 06:24 AM
Received 174 Likes on 126 Posts

You could probably save yourself some money and just do it yourself. I took it off my 1987 XJS yesterday, it's not difficult to do.

I'll rework rework mine and replace some hoses before I mount it again next spring. I took it off so I can get to the v and clean/rewire everything in there.

Ideally, I'd like to find a smaller compressor to mount where my vacuum pump use to be, but not sure they come that small for a non-hybrid car.

Thanks,
John, 1987 XJS V12, 62,000 miles

The following users liked this post:
gregh (12-04-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,077 Likes on 5,345 Posts

If you do not need it, great idea to remove it. Just label all the parts and bag them up so if you or anyone else wants to replace it, everything is there. A few pics of what went where is also a good idea.

Remember to get your garage to remove the condensor radiator in front of the water rad too. It will give much better airflow to the water rad and to the engine bay. It just lifts out once the rad top panel is unbolted. And you will never have to clean the crud from between the two rads again! The only pipe I suggest you leave is the thin stainless steel high pressure one that runs from the condensor/dryer to the firewall along the bottom chassis rail. It is practically impossible to get at with the engine still in place. Just plug it to keep out any rubbish.

I have removed my cruise control (not the aircon, too hot here) and that makes a huge difference to access. Well worth getting shot of anythig under there you do not need, say I anyway!.

Greg

The following users liked this post:
gregh (12-04-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

HEY! Doug, yuo dont like open cars?

OH i forgot you live in Washinton state, rains 366 days a year!

rainy season starts JAN 1st and ends DEC.31st.

wish we could get some rain around here, its dry as a ****** heart.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

Mine is also a ragtop and I too live in the northern climate. I removed all my A/C components and the cruise control as well as the airpump and associated hoses/pipes. I can change the plugs and wires in less than 15 min and the engine looks cleaner and runs cooler.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,747 Likes on 7,099 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbros
HEY! Doug, yuo dont like open cars?

OH i forgot you live in Washinton state, rains 366 days a year!

rainy season starts JAN 1st and ends DEC.31st.

wish we could get some rain around here, its dry as a ****** heart.

Heh heh. We have two seasons up here: Winter and August :-)

The "always rains" stories have basis in truth but are a bit overblown. Spring and summer are sunny and splendid up here. But fall and winter are oh-so-wet-and-dreary. Gets some people down but never bothered me <shrug>

But the truth is I just don't like the wind and noise of open motoring. I think it goes back to my childhood. Dad loved open motoring and would ony close the car if there was a monsoon or a blizzard!

I'd make an exception for a nice TR6, though :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 12-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

right on Doug, dont get me wrong,my roadster is a fair weather car!

a nice choice,TR6,

speaking of barn finds,at my storage area not five doors down, i been here 6yrs, an old guy opened the doors, and there was a 1969 Austin Healey 3000, all tires rotted off, dragged it out rears were locked up, paint fadded bad, BUT the car was all there!

you just never know what may be close around! i asked if it was for sale,nope!

he said he was gonna restore it ?????, he looked like he needed a miracle too.

kinda feel sad for him(but ya never know what a project can help you).

Old 12-05-2012, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

i dont see why anyone would care if you don't really need it. If its a convertible I totally understand....just hope you don't miss it when it starts raining.

A new compressor is 120 on amazon. But the expansion valve is what goes wrong in many of them...its only about 20 dollars. Its a pita job but cheap fix.