XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

urethane suspension bushes or NOT

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts
Default urethane suspension bushes or NOT

Has anyone replaced their front wishbone bushes with urethane? I purchased a set ready for replacement, and was talking to someone who told me not to do it as they squeak and make the suspension unduly harsh.

thanks Warren

Old 07-12-2010, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

A common question. Some report no problems, others report squeeks. I think most come with a lubricant...but perhaps it washes away eventually?

Considering the amount of labor involved, especially on the lowers, I've never felt like experimenting.

Others will chme in

Cheers
DD

Old 07-12-2010, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Doug, I have already bought the bushes so I might be the guinea pig. It is a big job so I thought I would get some first hand feedback before undertaking the job.

I thought the lube was so I could get them in, no pun intended

cheers

Old 07-13-2010, 04:25 AM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

I have used the urethane on most of mine, BUT, only on the top wishbone, anti-sway "D" rubbers, and the steering rack.

One other here used them on the lower, and was not happy, very harsh, and lasted a very short time, less than 2 years from memory.

I basically considered that the original "metalastic" have lasted near on 20 yeras, so replacements of the same with the same made sense, the lower bushes are a BIG job, and the least time done the better.

The uppers do give a firmer feel, and some do not like it.

The rack bushes do tighten the steering feel considerably, some dont like that either, no idea why, but that floating feel of the originals is not for me.

I tried the urethane on the anti-sway links, NO good, tooooooo firm.

The lubricant you get is "to help get them in", haha, BUT also to lubricate the pivot surface, and YES, they will sqeak if the lube is not applied liberally prior to assembly.

My 2 bobs worth, THINK carefully about the lower bushes, it is a heck of a lot of work to do it again if they dont last. The other areas are really easy by comparison.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:23 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Grant, I might replace wishbone with standard and keep the urethane for rack and sway bar.

Anyone want some brand new urethane upper and lower wishbone bushes.

cheers

Warren

Old 07-22-2010, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
I have used the urethane on most of mine, BUT, only on the top wishbone, anti-sway "D" rubbers, and the steering rack.

The rack bushes do tighten the steering feel considerably, some dont like that either, no idea why, but that floating feel of the originals is not for me.
I had a horrible experience with PU bushings on my old XJ12, years back (You may have heard this, Doug -Reinaldo-). The front end shop recommended and installed steering rack PU bushings. On the street no big deal, but once I got on the freeway and built up speed, things got scarily out of control, as I started to over correcting (and swinging the car) increasingly left and right totally out of control (a car that I had owned for 6 years). Finally I managed to slow down and practically stop in the middle of the 405 (who cares...) and went right back to the shop and got them removed. (He may have put the wrong thickness, I believe)
Oh well, never again.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Oh, and put new original Jag bushings back.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:57 AM
Veteran Member

Just thought I would post an update.

I installed the front poly bush set (except for the lower fronts, could not budge them), upper control arms and rack. After just completing a 5500km road trip from Perth to Sydney I am very pleased with how the car responded especially the improved steering response. Very exciting drive along the Great Ocean Road (pity about the downed trees and mud slides but thats another story).

Forcedair1 I can understand what you experienced as the steering is now very direct and large steering inputs would have the car on the incorrect side of the road in the blink of an eye. I like this as it makes it much more responsive on the twisty roads.

The only downside is the increased harshness and vibration but I am prepared to live with this as the car is now much more lively.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had replaced the steering rack bushings on mine with neoprene. The original rubber ones were history. I have read that urethane would disintegrate quickly due to the heat and oils from the engine directly above the rack. So far I am satisfied with the results. I do get some odd movement that I suspect is from worn out rear shocks, so that's my next repair job.