XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Where to find matching numbers?

Old 12-26-2017, 10:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Where to find matching numbers?

I would like to order a Jaguar Heritage Certificate for my XJS 3.6 Coupé (1988). I need to send information regarding: Car/Chassis no:, Engine no:, Body no:, Gearbox no:. Where is possible to find these numbers on the car? It's also required: Registration mark; what does it mean? thanks

Old 12-26-2017, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,077 Likes on 5,345 Posts

I would like to order a Jaguar Heritage Certificate for my XJS 3.6 Coupé (1988). I need to send information regarding: Car/Chassis no:, This is on the VIN plate on the door pillar, and stamped on the steel beam that runs across the cabin end of the engine bay between the bracing struts

Engine no:, This is stamped on engine block somewhere, 6 cylinder car owners will post shortly and tell you where

Body no:, This is normally found on a thin steel strap riveted to the rear of the car just under the rear bumper

Gearbox no:. There should be an identification plate on the gearbox somewhere
Where is possible to find these numbers on the car? It's also required: Registration mark; This refers to the license plate number of the car when first registered for the road

what does it mean? thanks]

The following users liked this post:
tpicotti (12-26-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 07:45 PM
Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts

There should also be a metal plate in your engine compartment that shows all four numbers, engine, transmission, body, VIN. Now while that does not mean that the engine and transmission match the plate, this will likely match what you will get on your Jaguar Heritage Certificate.

Another side twist: If you submit non-matching numbers to Jaguar and provide proof of ownership, they will send you the original matching numbers on the certificate. If you submit non-matching numbers to Jaguar and can not provide proof of ownership, they will NOT send you the original matching numbers on the certificate. So I just sent them the matching numbers from the plate, got a full heritage certificate and looked up the actual numbers on engine and transmission afterwards.

tpicotti (12-28-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 07:58 PM
Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts

Once you have a Jaguar Heritage Certificate, you can also register your car on XJS Data - Keeping track of every Jaguar XJ-S - Jaguar XJS information, articles, photos and register.

tpicotti (12-28-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 374 Posts

Jaguar Heritage. Heritage Certificate.

"It's also required: Registration mark; This refers to the license plate number of the car when first registered for the road" As l read it ,that's only on UK cars as the number stays with the car all its life. Otherwise a copy or photo of the US State title document is required which will show your name as owner and the chassis (VIN) number.

They can also for a fee give you the pin code for the original radio too.

Last edited by malc4d; 12-27-2017 at 07:33 AM.
tpicotti (12-28-2017)
Old 01-09-2018, 04:41 PM

Hi Andreas and Greg,
I wasn't able to find the metal plate inside the engine compartment. Do you have an idea where it could be? In the meantime I have found a metal plate on the door pillar with VIN number, paint and trim: you can see in the photo; do you know the meaning of PDH and AEM KB?
VIN it's also reported in the center of the engine department (see photo). I probably found the engine number too, see photo; do you think it is the right number? Finally I probably found the body number riveted on the rear of the car, see photo. The gearbox number is lost, where to find it? Thanks for your support!!!

Old 01-09-2018, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,055 Likes on 671 Posts

Being a Corvette restorer and NCRS geek, this subject raised my curiosity about the XJS. These four numbers you are talking about on the XJS, are they all supposed to be VIN-derivative?

Old 01-09-2018, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 374 Posts

No. The VIN is saj............. The paint code is PDH (BLACK) interior colour is Magnolia.

The following 2 users liked this post by malc4d:
Greg in France (01-10-2018), tpicotti (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 12:26 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Andreas and Greg,
I wasn't able to find the metal plate inside the engine compartment.
Jaguar mived it to the door in 1985 sometime. The plate you have found is the one Andreas referred to.
Do you have an idea where it could be? In the meantime I have found a metal plate on the door pillar with VIN number, paint and trim: you can see in the photo; do you know the meaning of PDH and AEM KB? Paint and trim codes, that identify the factory bodywork colour and trim colours
VIN it's also reported in the center of the engine department (see photo).
Correct and it should match the plate number
I probably found the engine number too, see photo; do you think it is the right number? Correct
Finally I probably found the body number riveted on the rear of the car, see photo. Correct
The gearbox number is lost, where to find it? Somewhere on the 'box there is probably a plate, usually on the side.
Thanks for your support!!!

tpicotti (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 02:29 AM

Hi Greg,
thanks for your quick answer.
Regarding the plate I found in the door, the problem is that it reports only VIN number but not the others. As suggested by Andreas, in order to ask for Heritage Certificate it could be better to send the numbers reported in the plate, so I would like to find such plate in the car. Otherwise, could be possibile to ask for a complete Heritage Certificate sending VIN number only a proof of ownership? Thanks for your support.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tpicotti
Hi Greg,
thanks for your quick answer.
Regarding the plate I found in the door, the problem is that it reports only VIN number but not the others. As suggested by Andreas, in order to ask for Heritage Certificate it could be better to send the numbers reported in the plate, so I would like to find such plate in the car. Otherwise, could be possibile to ask for a complete Heritage Certificate sending VIN number only a proof of ownership? Thanks for your support.
The VIN plate does not state the engine and gearbox and body numbers. These are only on the actual parts themselves. You have all you need for the H.C. I am pretty sure.

tpicotti (01-10-2018)