XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJS 3.6 (5 speed) parts interchange

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 11:05 AM
Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts
Default XJS 3.6 (5 speed) parts interchange

All, I got bitten by the jaguar bug, yet again.

I bought an 85 XJS-C with a 5 speed manual yesterday. It's not running of course and the fuel tank is out of the car. The PO said that he had it cleaned but I'd like to find a new fuel pump , filter and sending unit for it. Is it the same as a V12 or XJ6 3.6?

Also the coolant expansion tank has pin holes. I'm wondering if one from an XJ40 will interchange.

Thanks

Old 11-18-2018, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,089 Likes on 5,352 Posts

Fuel stuff identical. Expansion tank, no idea, but there are plenty around from breakers etc, and they are available new at great cost! Though from the part number they are not identical with the XJ40.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:04 PM

Thank you, the fuel tank stuff will get me started. I'm assuming the cabrio and the coupe are the same.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,089 Likes on 5,352 Posts

They are.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:42 PM

All, I bought a new fuel pump and sending unit and did a little testing today. I hooked the fuel pump to the existing rubber lines and ran it into a small jerry can full of gas. I also plumbed a hose from the return to the jerry can so that any unused fuel would be collected there.

I was able to get the pump running after a few false starts due to perished hoses; the pump was able to build pressure. I was not able to get the car to start using fuel, but was able to confirm that the car had spark as it would start with ether.
My suspicion Is either of the following:
1) Injectors are not firing – This is either due to an electrical problem with the ECU or just gummed up. I need a second person to help me test by cranking on the car while I listen to the injectors to see if they’re clicking. If they’re not. I’ll put 12v to them directly to see if they fire. This will tell me if it’s the injectors or upstream of the wiring. If they still don’t click, then the most likely issue is that the injectors are gummed up and I need to get them cleaned
2) If the injectors fire - I suspect that the fuel pressure regulator is bad because there is fuel going back to the return
I’m including a video of the car and would be grateful for your opinion. There’s a lot to do.
Thanks

Old 11-22-2018, 10:13 PM

I was able to do a little more testing today.
1) using the battery from my 20v drill, i connected two wires directly to the injectors and using a stethoscope, i was able to hear the injectors clicking.
2) Using a noid light , i was able to see that the computer was sending an electrical signal to the injectors
3) On pulling the fuel rail, the rail empties all the gas thus proving that the regulator was maintaining pressure

I removed the injectors and took them home. I'll get them cleaned this weekend and see if it will free them up.

Here's a video of the progress.

Old 11-23-2018, 06:43 AM
Received 465 Likes on 267 Posts

How long did you crank the car for? After a year+ of standing it takes my 3.6l approx 2 minutes of cranking before it fires on all cylinders, then I have to keep the throttle open for another 2 minutes before it settles. After it gets warm it then starts perfectly fine every time until I try again in ~12 months

Old 11-23-2018, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by katar83
How long did you crank the car for? After a year+ of standing it takes my 3.6l approx 2 minutes of cranking before it fires on all cylinders, then I have to keep the throttle open for another 2 minutes before it settles. After it gets warm it then starts perfectly fine every time until I try again in ~12 months
I think that there might be something wrong with your car

Old 11-23-2018, 01:26 PM
Received 465 Likes on 267 Posts

Plenty of things, its a long restoration project but engine runs like a Swiss watch, its just do not expect to start AJ6 engine on first turn after it stood for a year+, it just wont happen until you either, get the injectors cleaned or you crank it until they free themselves
Removing fuel rail can be a right ballache, simply cranking engine for longer is much simpler.

Old 11-23-2018, 07:46 PM

I put the injectors on the ultra sonic cleaner today and flow tested them. At first i thought that one of the injectors was out of balance so i ran it through a couple of times and the test tube will always come up low when I get back to check it. Later I realized that the problem might be with my ultrasonic cleaning machine and that particular tube leaking back down into the tank as I had walked away for an hour or so while I took care of some other stuff and it had almost completely drained down.

Good progress!! Tomorrow I'll paint the injectors as the cleaner strips the paint down and in some cases, the metal casings can cause grounding issues. Then I'll try to assemble the fuel rail sometime this weekend.

Here's another video with the progress

Old 11-25-2018, 09:33 PM

Some more progress. Over the past couple of days, I painted the fuel injectors and took them up to the shop to get them re-installed. The job was not too difficult and after a couple of false starts. I was able to get the car started. It was a big smoky from sitting but it ran well.

Shifter is really sloppy and I was not able to find reverse (any ideas? Anyone???).

Next on the agenda:

New bonnet struts

New air filter

New fuel hoses

New Vacuum hoses

New sender gasket and ring

New fuel injection hose clamps

New fuel filter

Here’s a video for any who are interested:

Old 12-01-2018, 01:01 PM

Good progress on the XJ-SC, got the tank installed and the new pump wired up properly. I still need to do some tidying but it now runs from fuel inside the tank.