XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2008 XK convertible questions before buy

Old 09-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 XK convertible questions before buy

Hello guys. Fist of all I want to say hello to all of you.

around this Christmas I want to give myself a little present - XK convertible. I love the design, and I love the GT car category. But because I haven't had a convertible (or Jag) in my life, I have a few question about this car.

1) roof - is there a more noise inside at high speeds comparing to a coupe? If so, is it a big deal?

2) roof - is it any problems with cooling the interior down or warming up? I mean, for example, if the roof is up in a hot summer, than if there is some heat from the top to be uncomfortable or something like that.

3) security - how much is affected the car security? I am guessing that with the soft top I loose two head airbags. I know that the car has some two emergency things at the back, but is the cabriolet something to worry about? For example I am imaging that the side impact must be crazy. (hopefully it never happen...)

4) warranty - do you know, if the Jaguar's 6 years warranty is international, or it is inside the USA only? I want to buy the car in the USA but import to Europe.

5) USA/Europe - do you know, if there are any differences between USA and Europe versions? I spotted only the orange bits in the headlights which has the USA version.

6) would you recommend the XK as a daily driver and the only car? We have snow in winter, it is probably 6 months cold and 6 months warm in my area. I am expecting fun to drive, but comfy in the town and great on a motorway blasts. I am single, two seats + space for a jacket is just OK. I cannot wait to do some X-thousand road trip with the sun over my head! Also I love the sound. With the prices of used XK's, I don't know about any other like that anyway.

7) is it anything essential to know about the convertible that should I know?

Thank you very much, if you can share some information with me. Much appreciated.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:08 PM

Oh sorry I forgot one thing

8) According to Top gear review XK is great, but the front lifts in a high speeds. Is it true? In Germany I can drive without any limit, so I wish I can do top speed without any problems.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

If you are considering importing from the US do be aware that there are quite a few differences in the specifications mainly related to safety items, as the basic car is the same, obviously. You may not be able to pass the EU and especially the german TUV tests, (for instance - you mentioned driving in Germany). Lighting will have differences, and also the speedo will be in miles per hour, not kilometres. Having said that, you may be able to get away with it, but do check up before purchase. US servicemen posted in Germany are able to temporarily import cars from the US I believe.

However, why not just buy one in Europe ?

Old 09-15-2010, 08:11 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

1) roof - is there a more noise inside at high speeds comparing to a coupe? If so, is it a big deal?
...I have never driven a coupe but compared to other non-convertables I have owned, the XK is very quiet.

2) roof - is it any problems with cooling the interior down or warming up? I mean, for example, if the roof is up in a hot summer, than if there is some heat from the top to be uncomfortable or something like that.
...The car is very tight with the top up. The top is made of 3 layers of fabric which aid in insulating and sound proofing. You will hear a soft pleasant sound from rain drops. The interior will heat and cool as you would expect from any car.

3) security - how much is affected the car security? I am guessing that with the soft top I loose two head airbags. I know that the car has some two emergency things at the back, but is the cabriolet something to worry about? For example I am imaging that the side impact must be crazy. (hopefully it never happen...)
...my XK has front and side air bags and front and rear seat seat/shoulder belts. It also has 2 roll over bars behind the rear set that deploy automatically when needed (hope you never need them).

4) warranty - do you know, if the Jaguar's 6 years warranty is international, or it is inside the USA only? I want to buy the car in the USA but import to Europe.
...I don't know about this one but I suspect they are different due to market differences.

5) USA/Europe - do you know, if there are any differences between USA and Europe versions? I spotted only the orange bits in the headlights which has the USA version.
...I understand there are, but I don't know any details.

6) would you recommend the XK as a daily driver and the only car? We have snow in winter, it is probably 6 months cold and 6 months warm in my area. I am expecting fun to drive, but comfy in the town and great on a motorway blasts. I am single, two seats + space for a jacket is just OK. I cannot wait to do some X-thousand road trip with the sun over my head! Also I love the sound. With the prices of used XK's, I don't know about any other like that anyway.
...I use my XK as a daily driver hear in Florida and love it. It makes the routine trips fun. I can't comment on driving in snow/ice.

7) is it anything essential to know about the convertible that should I know?
...Well there are the usual things that apply to all convertables. The top will eventually need to be replaced and maybe some day the top retracting mechanism may need repair. These, of course, depend on how long you keep the car and how well you care for it.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Basic Jaguar XK in the UK (can't read German so can't compare)
62,500 pounds

Basic Jaguar XK in the USA
$83,000 (and with more bells and whistles)

So UK = $98,000 (with the current exchange rate in the USD favour)

Shipping = $1500

Old 09-16-2010, 06:05 AM

Thank you guys for replies.

about the warranty - for example Mercedes has a world wide warranty, co I hoped that Jag can do also.

And yes, Jags are noticeably cheaper in the USA then Europe (as many other cars). BTW, why is cheaper to built in Britain, ship to USA, then ship back to Europe than buy directly in Britain is out of my mind

2008 XK 4.2 Convertible:
eBay USA - +- 45k USD
Germany mobile.de - +-50k EUR = 60k USD

Then there is a shipping, and if some changes needed to the European version. But I don't know them yet

Old 09-16-2010, 07:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have a 2007 XK Convertible

Bottom line, I'm happy with it. I've had other convertibles but this is by far the quietest rag top I've driven. I live in the desert where the temp gets to about 115+ and the A/C kept the car COLD!

Old 09-16-2010, 08:31 AM

That is the thing I would like to hear

Can you tell me, to which speed is it comfortable to drive with the roof down? With and without the deflector?

Old 09-16-2010, 11:13 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Dzag
That is the thing I would like to hear

Can you tell me, to which speed is it comfortable to drive with the roof down? With and without the deflector?
I've had many other convertables and my '07 XK (I don't have a deflector), is by far the quietest with the least wind turbulence of any I have had, especially at city street speeds. That being said it is still going to be noisier than a non-convertable when the top is down, just physics.

Last edited by sorapp; 09-16-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:42 PM

Of all your concerns I believe the warranty and the US to Eur conversion is probably the biggest, but also the easiest to find out about.
The part that I might be able to help by adding my two cents is about winter driving.
I use my XKR daily and its a great all around car but in the snow not so much. You have to realize your driving a rear wheel drive with a lot of power so its def not the best in the snow. I actually have an X-type for the snow days. ( BTW the X-Type is GREAT in the snow. My sig other has a Range Rover and I think the X- Type is better in city snow)
Before I got the X-Type my dealer suggested snow tires or even chains and sand bags in the trunk. I guess that would help but still would not try to climb a german alp with the XK in the snow.
Despite all that I LOVE this car. Its my third and I think I like it the best.
If you want it GO FOR IT. Have your wife or girlfriend drive you in the winter

Old 09-17-2010, 12:15 PM

Whether this is a concern of yours or not, the storage space in the convertible is extremely limited compare to the coupe.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:49 PM

I hope it is enough for two people for a weekend trip or when I use rear seats for some luggage then for a one week trip. Or am I wrong?

When the roof is up, can you move that "cover" in the trunk and get bigger capacity?

Old 09-20-2010, 08:31 AM

You should be OK for packing as you described (unless you are taking golf clubs) I personally would rather have the coupe but my wife wanted to go "topless"

Old 09-20-2010, 12:12 PM

Guys, I emailed some address on jaguar.com website about the warranty, and today I got the reply.They said I am quoting "The North American Standard Manufacturer warranty is only valid in North America."
That is not good news. Jaguar without the warranty?

Old 09-29-2010, 07:31 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by ChiRedXKR
Of all your concerns I believe the warranty and the US to Eur conversion is probably the biggest, but also the easiest to find out about.
The part that I might be able to help by adding my two cents is about winter driving.
I use my XKR daily and its a great all around car but in the snow not so much. You have to realize your driving a rear wheel drive with a lot of power so its def not the best in the snow. I actually have an X-type for the snow days. ( BTW the X-Type is GREAT in the snow. My sig other has a Range Rover and I think the X- Type is better in city snow)
Before I got the X-Type my dealer suggested snow tires or even chains and sand bags in the trunk. I guess that would help but still would not try to climb a german alp with the XK in the snow.
Despite all that I LOVE this car. Its my third and I think I like it the best.
If you want it GO FOR IT. Have your wife or girlfriend drive you in the winter
A hear a lot people say rear wheel drive vehicles are not good in the snow. I believe that also as I have never owned a rerar wheel drive vehicle. But I always ask myself "How and hell do the all the police cars navigate through snow in their 5.0 liter V8's?

Old 09-30-2010, 02:27 AM

With a good set of winter tires is not a big deal I think. It has traction control, ESP, and to be honest 300 HP is not something "undriveable" too.

But the question is, would you buy XK without a warranty? If I buy it in the USA, it will be still under the warranty, but void in EU.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my XKR rag top from the UK and had it shipped to NZ. Yes it has a world wide warranty... in theory! I have had no end of problems with getting the local dealer/importer to deal with the warranty issues! Jaguar UK (head office) will not even communicate to try and solve the problems. This issue has been ongoing for 3 years! My warranty finally expired and two months prior to the expiration I got an unsigned letter from the local importer acknowledging that the car was covered by warranty. Back issues and money spent are still not fixed or reimbursed! My advice is if you are only saving $15k don't do it. The dealer and importer said in one meeting "...we didn't import it it is not our problem..." "...we didn't sell it it is not our problem..." While I can understand the issue from the locals my biggest disappointment was NO support and NO communication from Jaguar. After spending $240,000NZD on a brand new Jaguar I think this is unacceptable in anyones language. If the XKR wasn't such a great car I would have left Jaguar long ago.