XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

20mm H&R Wheels Spacers Front and Rear Initial Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 02:40 PM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 20mm H&R Wheels Spacers Front and Rear Initial Review

bottom line....looks great, but 20 is a tad too much for the rear (esp if I lower it) and 20 isn't enough for the front. 25F and 15R would be ideal. It still looks amazing though and so far feels fine. I've only driven it for a few miles on residential streets, but so far so good. I do notice a slight steering wheel shake above 50 (briefly at that speed but not higher), which I didn't have before, so I need to check the calibration on my torque wrench. I did the star-pattern toque technique, so there should be no other reason for a shimmy in the wheel. it's 100 degrees out right now and humid as *****, so I will get to that tonight or in the am. i also will wash the car and post pics tmrw too.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:29 PM
Received 194 Likes on 123 Posts

Did you properly clean the mating faces of the wheels and the hubs while you were fitting them? Not uncommon for people fitting new brake discs to incorrectly think they've got a bad/warped disc from the factory because they didn't clean the mating faces correctly which results in vibrations like you describe.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by 8bit
Did you properly clean the mating faces of the wheels and the hubs while you were fitting them? Not uncommon for people fitting new brake discs to incorrectly think they've got a bad/warped disc from the factory because they didn't clean the mating faces correctly which results in vibrations like you describe.

you are correct and yes. it's odd....the shake starts at about 45 and fades our at around 60. I haven't been able to do a freeway run yet at higher speeds. am going to look at it again tmrw. I think it s coming from the passenger front. the shimmy is pretty mild though. BUT....it needs to be cured.

Last edited by multistrada74; 07-08-2015 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:04 PM
Received 194 Likes on 123 Posts

If you're feeling it through the steering wheel then it stands to reason that it's a front wheel that has the issue. Try swapping the spacers over, side to side, again cleaning the mating faces carefully.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by 8bit
If you're feeling it through the steering wheel then it stands to reason that it's a front wheel that has the issue. Try swapping the spacers over, side to side, again cleaning the mating faces carefully.
exactly. yep...will give that a whirl tmrw! will have some pics too after it's finished at the tint shop.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:09 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Recently done this myself but ended up going 15mm rear because I think 20 is too much..
Mine drives ok too although I do think it feels different.
I have a little vibration from the front under gentle braking,this wasn't present before so I'm thinking a little bit of imbalance is being exaggerated with the wheels further out.
Looks much better though in my opinion.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 590 Likes on 317 Posts

Have mine done around 8 months now and no problems, when i fitted mine got the wheels all re balanced again and the tracking/alignment done, I put 15mm on the rear and 20mm on the front. I went for H&R hubcenterics, best quality i think. No vibration or shudder under braking. Gives the car a better stance and cornering is brilliant.

Attached Thumbnails 20mm H&R Wheels Spacers Front and Rear Initial Review-here.jpg   20mm H&R Wheels Spacers Front and Rear Initial Review-here1.jpg  
Old 07-10-2015, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by multistrada74
you are correct and yes. it's odd....the shake starts at about 45 and fades our at around 60. I haven't been able to do a freeway run yet at higher speeds. am going to look at it again tmrw. I think it s coming from the passenger front. the shimmy is pretty mild though. BUT....it needs to be cured.
One thing that could cause a shimmy if the spacer is not mated solidly against the hub. That could happen if your factory lug-bolts are long enough to touch the inside of the wheels, preventing a flush mounting. The inside of the wheels generally have indents to accomodate those bolts but, the depth of the indents are different between wheel models.

In my case with one of my cars, I had to cut the very leading, non-threaded, edges of the factory bolts to get the required clearance for mounting. That happened with the 15 mm spacer with 20mm never giving me any issues.

Any time you mount an H&R type spacer always use some kind of "feeler" tool to check for the bolt-to-wheel clearance.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 590 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by axr6
One thing that could cause a shimmy if the spacer is not mated solidly against the hub. That could happen if your factory lug-bolts are long enough to touch the inside of the wheels, preventing a flush mounting. The inside of the wheels generally have indents to accomodate those bolts but, the depth of the indents are different between wheel models.

In my case with one of my cars, I had to cut the very leading, non-threaded, edges of the factory bolts to get the required clearance for mounting. That happened with the 15 mm spacer with 20mm never giving me any issues.

Any time you mount an H&R type spacer always use some kind of "feeler" tool to check for the bolt-to-wheel clearance.
Mine had the same on the rears, brought them to an engineering shop and got the indents made a bit bigger rather than cut the bolt ends. Then balanced.