XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Advise: Dealer can't correct a warranty issue. Recourse ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 12:17 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Advise: Dealer can't correct a warranty issue. Recourse ??

Need advise on legal rights regarding a warranty mechanical issue that dealer can't seem to resolve.

2 weeks ago my proximity parking system stopped operating.
No chirping no info displaying on display screen.

Brought to dealer who diagnosed a bad bumper sensor. Did not resolve issue after replacement.

Next they replaced park aid module. No resolve.

Next replaced junction box still no resolve.
XK has now been at the dealer for 8 days and issue has yet to be resolved.

Appears they are merely throwing parts at the issue without fixing the problem

What are my legal rights as it relates to this being an unresolved warranty issue. Not receiving any guidance or sastisfactory explanation from dealer

Help

Old 04-10-2013, 12:36 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Not an XK, but 'been there done that' with my former dealer in Montreal on my S-type. Best course of action is to call Jag corporate calmly explaining how much you love your Jag and miss it terribly because it's been in the shop so long for a seemingly minor problem. You're now soliciting their help in expediting it's return to you. Make sure you're actually smiling while on the phone- this can be 'heard' on the other end.

Worked for me.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mikey:
Brutal (04-11-2013), XKGuy (04-10-2013)
Old 04-10-2013, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey
Not an XK, but 'been there done that' with my former dealer in Montreal on my S-type. Best course of action is to call Jag corporate calmly explaining how much you love your Jag and miss it terribly because it's been in the shop so long for a seemingly minor problem. You're now soliciting their help in expediting it's return to you. Make sure you're actually smiling while on the phone- this can be 'heard' on the other end.

Worked for me.
Sound advice.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

You might simply want to give another dealer a shot at it. Skill & knowledge levels vary widely.

The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
Brutal (04-11-2013), XKGuy (04-10-2013)
Old 04-10-2013, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Two good tips. I would first call Jaguar rep before going to another dealer. Maybe they know who is better at fixing cars?

Old 04-10-2013, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by XKGuy
Need advise on legal rights regarding a warranty mechanical issue that dealer can't seem to resolve.

2 weeks ago my proximity parking system stopped operating.
No chirping no info displaying on display screen.

Brought to dealer who diagnosed a bad bumper sensor. Did not resolve issue after replacement.

Next they replaced park aid module. No resolve.

Next replaced junction box still no resolve.

XK has now been at the dealer for 8 days and issue has yet to be resolved.

Appears they are merely throwing parts at the issue without fixing the problem

What are my legal rights as it relates to this being an unresolved warranty issue. Not receiving any guidance or sastisfactory explanation from dealer

Help
And yet another day passes with the issue unresolved. Will contact Jaguar Corporate tomorrow for assistance.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

If you're *really* fed up you might wanna research applicable lemon laws in your state and if you qualify...it sounds like you might....file paperwork. That usually makes ears perk up all over the place and often brings all forces to bear in getting the car fixed.

You're not under any obligation to continue the process if the car does get fixed.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-10-2013, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
If you're *really* fed up you might wanna research applicable lemon laws in your state and if you qualify...it sounds like you might....file paperwork. That usually makes ears perk up all over the place and often brings all forces to bear in getting the car fixed.

You're not under any obligation to continue the process if the car does get fixed.

Cheers
DD
In Fla the vehicle has to be under 24 months old to qualify for any lemon law filing. Unfortuately I'm over 24 months. I am however exceptionally fed up that "the collective wisdom" of Jaguar can resolve this issue.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:19 AM

Case opened with Jaguar Corporate

Old 04-11-2013, 10:27 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

2 common issue for most park aid faults being inop, sensors bad(easy to hear them operate or what them with datalogger to see what the see). And speakers going out. Faults in the system like these go to inop default. Maybe 2 faults, inop sensor and no speaker to give error tone
But once a case is opened its pressure to the dealer to fix or send a rep if hotline case has already been started live I just did on a inop convertible top

The following users liked this post:
XKGuy (04-11-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Brutal
2 common issue for most park aid faults being inop, sensors bad(easy to hear them operate or what them with datalogger to see what the see). And speakers going out. Faults in the system like these go to inop default. Maybe 2 faults, inop sensor and no speaker to give error tone
But once a case is opened its pressure to the dealer to fix or send a rep if hotline case has already been started live I just did on a inop convertible top
Thank you for your input and insight.

The sensors I'm told were all checked. After replacing the park aid module and junction box I fear that the issue is some obscure frayed or broken wire somewhere that will be extremely hard to detect.

Ugh

Old 04-11-2013, 11:30 AM

thats is a problem Im running into with this 2010XK top that we bought at auction. It hasnt worked from day one and was sold before checked out. It was a problem to the orginal owner at 9k miles and fixed. But when it happened again im sure he probobly just traded it and to a non Jag dlr who tried to look at it and just said screw it and auctioned. the issue with stuff like this is proceedures. Youre not gonna get paid the time it sometimes requires to find issues that are not readilly aparent. It has to evivated to tech hotline assistance and then to a area jaguar rep thats on salary. They come out to assist and or fix and then Jaguar will pay the time otherwise they just dont want someone stupidly spending tons of time for a bad grnd or something minor. Although many things seem minor once you FIND it. Its the FINDING it. This is the issue with the top I am having it has a communications fault with modules that the top module needs to talk to to function. But the network checks fine for continuity and proper voltages. Im just loosing 60ohms at door modules and its not constant. If it doesnt know where the windows are at it wont operate, same with speed. Has to know speed from Instrument pack etc...once youve done many things and followed HOTLINE advise, then theyll send someone thats apaid a salary instead of commission to work on the car. This is the 3rd time Ive needed them in 15 yrs. But too much time that I wont get paid for so time to conceed sounds like you may be there with youre car and dealer now

Old 04-11-2013, 12:15 PM

thats is a problem Im running into with this 2010XK top that we bought at auction. It hasnt worked from day one and was sold before checked out. It was a problem to the orginal owner at 9k miles and fixed. But when it happened again im sure he probobly just traded it and to a non Jag dlr who tried to look at it and just said screw it and auctioned. the issue with stuff like this is proceedures. Youre not gonna get paid the time it sometimes requires to find issues that are not readilly aparent. It has to evivated to tech hotline assistance and then to a area jaguar rep thats on salary. They come out to assist and or fix and then Jaguar will pay the time otherwise they just dont want someone stupidly spending tons of time for a bad grnd or something minor. Although many things seem minor once you FIND it. Its the FINDING it. This is the issue with the top I am having it has a communications fault with modules that the top module needs to talk to to function. But the network checks fine for continuity and proper voltages. Im just loosing 60ohms at door modules and its not constant. If it doesnt know where the windows are at it wont operate, same with speed. Has to know speed from Instrument pack etc...once youve done many things and followed HOTLINE advise, then theyll send someone thats apaid a salary instead of commission to work on the car. This is the 3rd time Ive needed them in 15 yrs. But too much time that I wont get paid for so time to conceed sounds like you may be there with youre car and dealer now
We have mutual frustrations. Hope this isn't a sign of further issues to come.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:54 PM

Well and low and behold i just found and fixed my issue. Car was close to a vin split(1443 cars apart)for parts and i was given the correct module for the vin but incorrect part. Got a later module and all is fixed without wire issue that the "new" said i had. Ask them to verify the "wers" numbers on old and new modules, it just screwed me, i thought it was only a supersession(common)!!

Old 04-12-2013, 06:16 AM

Pleased you resolved your issue. Dealer is now advising that after 2 junction boxes that they can't program it??

Old 04-12-2013, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by xkguy
pleased you resolved your issue. Dealer is now advising that after 2 junction boxes that they can't program it??
and this is exactly the issue that pointed to the fact that possibly even though the parts guide said that was the "correct" part for the vin, it turns out it was not and created even more issues than i started with and led me down a bunch of wasted diag time. Guess who takes that in the wallet?? Yeah us techs, not parts, not jaguar incorrect part info in the parts catalog. I need to rely on the info and parts thats given to me to use, garbage in = garbage out. Everyone else is paid salary or hourly except techs. We need to be accurate and fast to make money. Wasted time like this meens i could have made more money at mcdonalds flipping burgers
oh and this year i get to pay the irs and got rear ended into another truck last night on the way home and the guy behind me that caused the accident took off. And just found out yesturday too that my youngest daughter decided to "drop out" of college!!! At least i know there are people out there with worse weeks

Old 04-12-2013, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member

and this is exactly the issue that pointed to the fact that possibly even though the parts guide said that was the "correct" part for the vin, it turns out it was not and created even more issues than i started with and led me down a bunch of wasted diag time. Guess who takes that in the wallet?? Yeah us techs, not parts, not jaguar incorrect part info in the parts catalog. I need to rely on the info and parts thats given to me to use, garbage in = garbage out. Everyone else is paid salary or hourly except techs.

Can you recoup *any* of your lost time ($$$$) thru the Jaguar warranty system? They don't have any straight time allowance at all for this type of thing?

Back in my dealership days I had a "shop ticket" to at least partially subsidize the techs if they really got buried on a job through no fault of their own. If I couldn't squeeze the manufacturer I'd use the shop ticket. They dealer really didn't approve but never told me to stop doing it, either :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 04-12-2013, 11:36 AM

YES Doug, but Ive got to go plead my case now, then its a car dealership which meens theyre gonna try and "negotiate" with me too. Ive got alot more time in it than I clocked on it. I seldom need help and prefer to work through to a solution. When I feel Im getting to deep on clocked time I clock off. Thats just me, so when they want to negotiate the clocked time I get alittle perturbed. The last 2 times I needed a rep to help it was this exact issue. wrong modules for the cars vin even though assured they were correct. And you know for a good tech "straight time" is loosing money

Old 04-12-2013, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member

And you know for a good tech "straight time" is loosing money

Indeed it is

OTOH, a little bit of sumthin' is better than a whole lotta nuttin' . Loss mitigation, I guess you might call it.

In these situations where loads of unrecoverable ( that is, unbillable) labor hours are racked up both the technician and the employer lose.

The customer (eventually) benefits as his car gets fixed. The factory benefits as their product has been repaired under the terms of the warranty and they're paying for only a portion of the labor involved.

You know the old adage: "you gotta take the good with the bad". I'm sure you've heard it so often you could just puke but, at the end of the day, it's pretty much the truth.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-12-2013, 01:01 PM

Lol oh yeah doug, but i refuse to be a frog in slowly boiling water(do you know the story?) im headed towards what i made 15 yrs ago when i started. Maybe time for some of that change everyone talks about i hope the op gets his car done, its beautifull here today, sunny, warm, and clear

Quick Reply: Advise: Dealer can't correct a warranty issue. Recourse ??