Sponsored by: DashLynx

All Power but Lights Dead

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts
Default All Power but Lights Dead

Good morning everyone,

Had an odd issue this morning, when I arrived to work I decided to check my ECM for trouble codes. Just as I cleared an old stored code, I heard a beep in the rear and then everythign died.

The car won't start, go into run but the lights and and power locks work but nothing else.

Any ideas on what it may be before I call the dealer for a tow?

Thank you!
Max

Old 10-21-2015, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I guess my 1st question would be what stored codes did you have and why did you have them. I suspect this would provide you with a led to what shut down the various systems. Also were there any indications of a problem over the last several days that could have caused this . Did you try to dock the key fob just to make sure there isn't a problem there. I also assume you had the tune for a while so that isn't part of the problem.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

No problems at all other than a gas cap error every few weeks. No other codes and I just turned the car off and then decided to move it a bit so when I went to start it the beeping started, the infotainment system said lost connection and the dash went dead.

The tunes been on the car for over a year and I have not added anything else. Its been 100% trouble free until now.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

Also what led me to check the codes(there were none at the time) was that the car felt sluggish this morning, so I was curious as to what codes were there. Nothing at all but I was expecting the gas cap code.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,905 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Could try 'rebooting' it by disconnecting the battery, touch the battery cables together to discharge any residual charge, and then reconnect.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

I just got back from trying that and it was the battery.. I disconnected it and reconnected it and the car had 100 codes that I had to clear from losing the signal with the ECM.

Once cleared the car started although very weakly.

Add this to the Odd battery Jag battery issues. Thank you both for responding I'll let you know if a new battery solved ll the issues.

BTW sorry for being a stranger this year on the forum, its been a hectic year.

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (10-23-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,905 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Welcome back, and yep, that's an odd one. Good luck with the new battery.

Old 10-21-2015, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 795 Posts

Good to have you back, sorry for the circumstances. I guess the battery just collapsed.

Old 10-21-2015, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member

The new battery did the trick, everything's back to normal. Considering I had the OBD-II connector on the when it happened I though I fried something fairly important! Luckily it was just the typical Jaguar battery

Looks like the ECM just dropped below its operating voltage and the systems crashed. I did have to clear a lot of codes after the new battery was connected. Of course the first error I see is a gear box error which also scared me.

Wish I had a outlet for battery tender.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,175 Likes on 3,396 Posts

Max,

If you park outdoors, consider a solar powered batttery charger/maintainery mounted inside your car since there's no shortage of sun in Miami. Amazon has several solar trickle chargers, but the only ones I found that claim to be "regulated" are Battery Tender brand. I can't recommend that brand because of a bad experience I had with that company and their Battery Tender Jr. product. I'm not an engineer, but I doubt that a slow trickle charger would overcharge your battery and boil out the electrolyte.

Was your new battery a warranty replacement? If not, is the new one AGM or flooded? If AGM, it will probably last longer than your OEM battery did. Miami heat is an inhospitable environment for any battery.

Stuart

Old 10-21-2015, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Several retailers sell the Jaguar fitted 49/H8 batteries. Most all have 3-year replacement and 2 years prorated for a 5 yr Warranty. Most all batteries sold are made by Johnson Controls which include Interstate brand, Duralast brand, Diehard Brand, Everstart Maxx, Costco brand, and Optima.

All are similar in CCA. All are vented batteries. All sized the same. Prices range from $123.00 to $191.00 depending on brands. Interstate $191.00 being the most expensive and Everstart Maxx the lowest at $123.00. They are the same in specifications.

I just replaced mine after doing a lot of research on batteries.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Max,

If you park outdoors, consider a solar powered batttery charger/maintainery mounted inside your car since there's no shortage of sun in Miami. Amazon has several solar trickle chargers, but the only ones I found that claim to be "regulated" are Battery Tender brand. I can't recommend that brand because of a bad experience I had with that company and their Battery Tender Jr. product. I'm not an engineer, but I doubt that a slow trickle charger would overcharge your battery and boil out the electrolyte.

Was your new battery a warranty replacement? If not, is the new one AGM or flooded? If AGM, it will probably last longer than your OEM battery did. Miami heat is an inhospitable environment for any battery.

Stuart
I live in a condo so my car in a parking deck at home and at work. Which is great for the car but not the battery.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
Several retailers sell the Jaguar fitted 49/H8 batteries. Most all have 3-year replacement and 2 years prorated for a 5 yr Warranty. Most all batteries sold are made by Johnson Controls which include Interstate brand, Duralast brand, Diehard Brand, Everstart Maxx, Costco brand, and Optima.

All are similar in CCA. All are vented batteries. All sized the same. Prices range from $123.00 to $191.00 depending on brands. Interstate $191.00 being the most expensive and Everstart Maxx the lowest at $123.00. They are the same in specifications.

I just replaced mine after doing a lot of research on batteries.
I ended up getting mine at a Jag dealer as my office is 4 blocks away from the Collection. They got me for 220 for the jag badged interstate battery.

When I called road side assistance they said the battery was covered as I have 8000 miles, but I would have to tow the car and open a service ticket. Then they discovered they could not tow the car due to the deck and told me to get the car to the dealership. How I was supposed to do this I have no idea.. So I ended up walking 4 blocks with that massive battery, and replaced it in the parking deck.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

Max,

What kind of road side assistance doesn't provide assistance at the road side?

I'm sure that AAA has a tow truck that could negotiate the ramp to your parking deck and replace your battery on-site.

Since you were told that the battery was covered under warranty, why did you have to pay $220 out of pocket and suffer the further indignity of having to carry it 4 blocks back to your parking deck and install it yourself? The Collection has just set a new record for customer no-service. At the very least, they should have driven you back to your parking deck with that battery and installed it for you.

If you charged that $220 purchase on a credit card, and provided that you can get written confirmation that your old battery was covered under warranty and was eligible for free replacement, then I would present that information to the General Manager of The Collection and ask him to refund that $220 payment. If he won't do so, then I would dispute that charge with your credit card issuer in writing (within 60 days of that purchase) together with a copy of the correspondence confirming warranty coverage, and request a chargeback.

Shame on The Collection for treating you so poorly. The least I would do is get my money back, since it never should have cost you anything in the first place. The last thing The Collection wants is bad publicity, so I leave it up to you to decide if you want to do more than just get your money back.

If this was helpful, please press at the bottom right.

Stuart

Old 10-22-2015, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member

I called the 800 number for Jag roadside and they refused to bring me a battery. They told me they would have to pick up the car and have it taken to a dealer. That's going to take all day and I have things to do, so I just walked over there and picked up a battery, borrowed tools from building maintenance and installed a battery in 85 degree weather in a suit. Not the kind of service you expect for a 100k plus car.

Can't say I was impressed with the Collection refused any type of help and I guess expected me to push the car to the their shop.

I'm going to take the car to Warren Henry which is my dealer and have them look at the battery. They were willing to send one over with a driver, but wouldn't have made it in time due to distance and traffic.

The following 2 users liked this post by MaximA:
Lothar52 (10-23-2015), Panthro (05-15-2016)
Old 10-22-2015, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member

Max,

I understand your position with time and work deadlines. Sometimes you have to make a decision that ordinarily you wouldn't make.

I'm sure that Jaguar would not approve of their dealers mistreating customers. I think management would want to know, so I would write to Jaguar USA and tell them what happened so it never happens again.

Jaguar road service should have made every effort come to your rescue. If the tow truck couldn't navigate the parking deck ramp, the driver should have parked the truck and walked. That would have been the right thing to do.

Stuart

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Lothar52 (10-23-2015), MaximA (10-23-2015)
Old 10-23-2015, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

Stuart I totally agree with you and was shocked the dealer wouldn't drive a few blocks with battery. I even offered to pay for the battery, labor and trouble as I honestly didn't have time to wait for a tow, check in to the dealer and then wait the 3-4 hours they said it would take to replace a battery. I did it all including walking and looking for tools in an hour.

It actually makes more sense to go replace a battery on a car a few blocks away, than send a truck and have it spend 3-4 hours in service. You end up with a happy customer and one less car in your service department. I was a bit shocked they anyone I called refused to do it. Every dealer has parts delivery, and the battery took 15 minutes to replace.

I'll definitely writing to Jag NA about this the dealer and Roadside assistance really dropped the ball.

Still love the car

The following 2 users liked this post by MaximA:
Lothar52 (10-23-2015), Stuart S (10-23-2015)
Old 10-23-2015, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by MaximA
I just got back from trying that and it was the battery.. I disconnected it and reconnected it and the car had 100 codes that I had to clear from losing the signal with the ECM.

Once cleared the car started although very weakly.

Add this to the Odd battery Jag battery issues. Thank you both for responding I'll let you know if a new battery solved ll the issues.

BTW sorry for being a stranger this year on the forum, its been a hectic year.
We have missed you!!

Old 10-23-2015, 04:14 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 928 Likes on 607 Posts

Hey, welcome back Max. I'm glad you got yourself back on the road quickly. Kudos to you for walking 4 blocks with huge heavy battery in hand wearing a suit in 85 degree Florida humid weather. Traditionally, dealerships don't think out of-the-box. They need to see the car in the service center to do anything under warranty. Sending parts out under warranty would be taboo and get them a slap on the wrist from their warranty audit people. Even sending a warranty part out on delivery would be a no-no. Traditionally, all warranty work must be conducted in shop by a certified Jaguar tech that strictly work in-house. Lots of room for creative and innovative thinking in the dealership business. Damn, we need you back on the forum Max--it's like a funeral home in here on the X150 threads.

Last edited by DGL; 10-23-2015 at 04:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (10-23-2015)