XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Any tips for buying an XK?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 08:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any tips for buying an XK?

I'm considering a used XK coupe. I've been doing a lot of research.

I was wondering if there were any tips anyone could pass along. Like years to avoid, and things to watch out for.

In dredging around edmund's user reviews, it appears that the 2007 model year has higher reviews than the other model years. Anything to this?

Also, where is the best place to look? The local craigslist (northern california) doesn't have many listed at any point in time. (For instance, right now there is only one, with much higher miles than I'm comfortable with - a 2007 with 75,000 miles).

Thank you.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:59 AM

Also, how valuable are pre-buy mechanic inspections? (I used to think this was a must, but then I was reading a review of a local indy jag mechanic that said the mechanic missed a ton of stuff on a pre-buy inspection.... so what's the point?)

Old 09-30-2012, 10:18 AM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

I live in Seattle area but got mine from a Jag Dealer in Nashville thru Jaguar Cars online listing for certified vehicles. Very pleased with the experience (free shpg), except not sure if 'Certified' is worth the money ................Vehicle was as exactly as described by the Dealership. It is a Coupe, beautiful Radiance (metalic red) colour.
I think it looks better than the F Type!
Sold my last E Type Coupe because getting too old (arn't we all!) to drive it; plus did not want to get it wet!!
So,'07 XK Coupe is perfect, best Jag I ever had (had 13 so far!)

Good Luck, Adrian

Good Luck

Old 09-30-2012, 10:45 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Irony,

Not sure if you are interested in an XKR with an existing Extended Warranty (through 4/2015), but please see my new thread below and my other posts.

"I need advice from all you Jag experts here on the forums:
I'm selling my 2007 BRG Jag XKR Coupe. After several months of ownership, I've realized that I'm not getting the use out of it that I thought I would. Have logged less than 1,000 miles in the 7 months since I bought the car. Such a car needs to be driven!! (She is such a beauty: British Racing Green with Caramel interior, 33,500 miles, Adaptive Cruise, 20" Senta wheels, Permium Sound and Luxury Package interior.)
Any advice as to where to advertise the sale? I live in a rather small town in Northern California, (approx. 70,000 pop), so the local paper doesn't have the exposure I think is needed to sell such a unique automobile.
Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated."

I have had no mechanical issues, except for a new battery after I left an interior light on by mistake.
Please PM me if you would like more info.
thanks,
tnt10
Just noticed you don't have the PM capacity yet. Let me know if you would like to discuss particulars on this auto, (via email or phone). (I'm in Northern CA as well).

Last edited by tnt10; 09-30-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by britannia
I live in Seattle area but got mine from a Jag Dealer in Nashville thru Jaguar Cars online listing for certified vehicles. Very pleased with the experience (free shpg), except not sure if 'Certified' is worth the money ................Vehicle was as exactly as described by the Dealership. It is a Coupe, beautiful Radiance (metalic red) colour.
I think it looks better than the F Type!
Sold my last E Type Coupe because getting too old (arn't we all!) to drive it; plus did not want to get it wet!!
So,'07 XK Coupe is perfect, best Jag I ever had (had 13 so far!)

Good Luck, Adrian

Good Luck
Hi Adrian,
Do you negotiate with them at all over the phone? And they took care of all the shipping logistics stuff?
This seems great.
Thanks

Old 09-30-2012, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by tnt10
Irony,

Not sure if you are interested in an XKR with an existing Extended Warranty (through 4/2015), but please see my new thread below and my other posts.
hi tnt10,
No, I wasn't considering an XKR.

Thanks

Old 09-30-2012, 07:20 PM
Received 42 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Irony,

I would forget Craigslist. If you want to learn what these cars are going for spend a few hours researching on these sites: Jaguar, eBay (look at completed sales), AutoTrader, and Cars. You will find dozens of vehicles that fit your specific criteria.

Have fun!

Tony

Old 09-30-2012, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Call the Jaguar dealers you can drive to in one day's time and tell them exactly what you are looking for and how much you are ready to spend. You can extend that nationwide if you consider shipping costs.

I bought my XK sight unseen and was equal or better than described. This is my 2nd Jaguar bought in this manner.