Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Backup camera for xk

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts
Default Backup camera for xk

Emerald Mobile Integrations claims to have an aftermarket backup camera modification for 07-09 xk that does not require manual intervention to display the image after installation. They indicated that no matter what mode (screen) the Nav unit is in it automatically switches to the rear camera when the vehicle is put in reverse.

Has anyone had any experience with their unit (appears to be a GVIF interface unit) that can attest to the accuracy of their claim?

Other posts have indicated that GVIF, like others, still requires manual switch to Nav mode in order to use the nav module screen to view.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,894 Likes on 1,285 Posts

See this thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...vendor-157042/

Don't know if anyone has looked into them recently.
Also, if you google them, there seems to be quite a few complaints out there.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,141 Likes on 3,384 Posts

Patience will be rewarded with the integrated backup camera kit being developed by Forum member White XKR, who created the superb kit to remotely control the convertible top and rear windows with your key fob.

Steve, if you read this, please update us on the status of your backup camera module. Thanks.

Stuart

Old 03-29-2016, 08:50 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Backup camera - Steve; any updates?

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Patience will be rewarded with the integrated backup camera kit being developed by Forum member White XKR, who created the superb kit to remotely control the convertible top and rear windows with your key fob.

Steve, if you read this, please update us on the status of your backup camera module. Thanks.

Stuart
=======================
Yes! Steve, please update us!

Old 04-03-2016, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

I regret the project is so late. It is however still being worked on. Due to my workload these days, I hesitate to give a promise date.

For those who would rather not wait, this unit: GVIF car video interface for Lexus, Toyota, Land Rover, Cadillac, Jaguar will do the job...but will not be integrated and still require manually switching to navigation. There was a 'how-to' published not too long ago on this site.

My solution will include this same adapter, a camera (I favor 'Boyo' brand cameras), and my custom integration module with full auto switching and some other cool features, plus my detailed instructions, support and warranty.

This does mean though, anyone who installs this Car Solutions GVIF adapter will still be able to upgrade it with my integration module when it is available for just the cost of the integration module.

Don't waste your money with Emerald Integrations, they will also ship this exact same unit, plus a $75 camera for almost $200 more.

The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
Kevin77 (04-04-2016), Stuart S (04-03-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the update, Steve, looking forward to that integration module when you get a chance to finish it.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

Thanks WhiteXKR, Your advice sounds good. I thought Emerald's claim seemed too good to be true.

I know there are a lot of us out there itching to pull the trigger on a B/U cam.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:03 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default By guess or by golly date...WhiteXKR

Far be it from me to interfere with your daily job and life-I understand, frequently having put in 12h days while I worked at the Pentagon, not including the 1-1/4h commute. Many hard workers there. Sadly, no longer now that I have considerable health issues.

Sooo, do you have a guess or by golly guestimate when you'll have the backup kit available?

No pressure... just info

Old 08-08-2016, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts
The following users liked this post:
wrair (08-08-2016)
Old 08-08-2016, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Sorry guys, the wait continues.

A tree fell on my daily driver and totaled it (not a Jag) so I temporarily had to pull the Jaguar XK from test mule duty and into service as a vehicle. I almost forgot how much fun it is to drive.

Before that, I had run into some technical challenges that requires me to build another hardware prototype because there was a flaw in my original approach.

It is hard to give an expected date, because this has been such a busy year for me.

The following 3 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
Cee Jay (08-08-2016), Stuart S (08-08-2016), tberg (08-08-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 12:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
A tree fell on my daily driver and totaled it (not a Jag) so I temporarily had to pull the Jaguar XK from test mule duty and into service as a vehicle.
Before that, I had run into some technical challenges that requires me to build another hardware prototype because there was a flaw in my original approach.
Bummer. Nobody hurt I trust?
Hope the insurance gets you a nice replacement.

Not an easy interface I'm sure. But it'll be a cool thing to have when it's ready!

Old 11-02-2019, 05:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Steve, I know it has been a while but did you solve the backup camera challenges? I have a 2008 XKR that came with your convertible control module (unfortunately without rear window control) and love your work. The idea of having a backup camera that worked in the head unit is awesome and will buy in a heartbeat if you got it. I do not see it on your website.

Old 11-02-2019, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member

While you're waiting for Steve's backup camera to become available, buy this for under $100. It's not the integrated solution from Steve, but it works well enough and is very easy to install.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...m-sale-224053/

Old 11-03-2019, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueBeast
Hi Steve, I know it has been a while but did you solve the backup camera challenges? I have a 2008 XKR that came with your convertible control module (unfortunately without rear window control) and love your work. The idea of having a backup camera that worked in the head unit is awesome and will buy in a heartbeat if you got it. I do not see it on your website.
OEM retrofit solution was developed. See this thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...08-xkr-198002/

Also this solution if you don't have access to SDD:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-camp2-175877/

Otherwise, Stuart's suggestion is certainly viable.

Last edited by Sean W; 11-03-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:33 AM
Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts
Default Awaiting FenSens backup camera system

An integrated system would be really nice. The Outback’s works like a champ. However my wife’s dinosaur, but beloved, Avalon has no Bluetooth no display no nothing. I tried an early semi-wireless system that was powered by reverse lights and displayed on a separate screen. Really poor.... now in garage junk box.

I ordered a Fensens backup camera system a few weeks ago and waiting for it to be delivered ( new product and a camera so taking a while to sort some problems out). It displays the HD back up camera with guidelines on your smart phone. Will report back when I have it installed and see how it works and more importantly how she likes it. Some states won’t allow its use because the sensors are mounted in the license plate frame which can block part of the license plate. Not in Rhode Island so far.

Fensens claims to be a true wireless system that is solar charged and displays on your smart phone. We’ll see!

Old 11-12-2019, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member

I don't understand why you would you buy that Fensens backup cam for $99 and have to open an app on your cellphone to use it as the display, when the Type S backup cam from Costco (and elsewhere) is the same price and comes with a dedicated display unit that fits perfectly in the ashtray and is always at the ready? See the link in my Post #13, above.

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
TexasTraveler (11-12-2019), V7Sport (11-12-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 05:20 PM
Default Why not a Type S backup camera

Hi Stuart S
I did look at the Type S and other wireless systems. Don’t have a Costco membership and closest store is 1.5 hours away so Amazon choice for me was $120 or so for the Type S. FenSens was indeed more at about $165.
Biggest issue on the Avalon is a stepped dash arrangement that makes it hard to conveniently mount another display head (another “thing” to look at was one of the main reasons my wife hated the cheap initial try at a backup camera). She uses her ashtray for other “stuff” (and spring out cup holders with no bottom as an alternative storage for the stuff) and the cigar lighter jack for the radar detector. She has an existing iPhone and associated mount she uses anyway so trying to fit within her constraints.
The FenSens has a gear selector mounted button that launches the app so may not be too inconvenient to use. Still not a factory installation though.
So lots of trade-offs were considered in my choice. Others will have different criteria.
Best regards. Mike

Old 11-12-2019, 07:08 PM
Default Why not a Type S backup camera?

Hi Stuart S
I replied to you once but didn’t seem to post so forgive if this post is redundant.
Not a Costco member as closest store is 1.5 hours away. So Amazon is my store of choice and had the Type S for about $120. FenSens was more at about $165.
Part of the problem is the way the Avalon is designed with a stepped dash arrangement. This makes it very hard to place a separate display for the back up camera without blocking some other built-in displays like the clock and odometer. And suction mounts didn’t stick well on the dash surface.
The original cheap camera system I bought had a separate display. And that was a major headache for my wife....another thing in the way, which drove her crazy. She already uses her ashtray for her other stuff so it’s not available for mounting another display.
She also doesn’t have good cupholders as the Avalon’s are the spring out type from the center console with no bottoms.
She uses the existing cigar lighter plug for her radar detector.
Given all those considerations the integration of the Fensens with her iPhone and its existing mount (which she uses regularly) seemed to make the most sense to me. It also has a launch button on the gear lever for the app which should make it simpler to use. Other people may have different criteria. Hopefully will work well for her.
Regards. Mike

Old 11-13-2019, 03:54 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
I don't understand why you would you buy that Fensens backup cam for $99 and have to open an app on your cellphone to use it as the display, when the Type S backup cam from Costco (and elsewhere) is the same price and comes with a dedicated display unit that fits perfectly in the ashtray and is always at the ready? See the link in my Post #13, above.
i'll go one further....unless it can seamlessly be integrated into the screen and look factory, why bother with backup camera? I've been driving for over 30 years. Sure its nice to have in my modern cars, and it'd be useful in my truck that's lifted close to 12" but... not needed. I've gotten by without backing into anything so far, lol.
surely I'm busting chops here, but all kidding aside, I still don't trust backup cameras 100%. I need to look back 1st, and then maybe check the camera.

Old 11-13-2019, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigbully
i'll go one further....unless it can seamlessly be integrated into the screen and look factory, why bother with backup camera? I've been driving for over 30 years. Sure its nice to have in my modern cars, and it'd be useful in my truck that's lifted close to 12" but... not needed. I've gotten by without backing into anything so far, lol.
surely I'm busting chops here, but all kidding aside, I still don't trust backup cameras 100%. I need to look back 1st, and then maybe check the camera.
It can and does. See the link in post 14.

Last edited by Sean W; 11-13-2019 at 05:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Backup camera for xk