XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Boost Gauge readings

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,241 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Derek, Did you ever get this figured out? I need the data too. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-11-2016, 02:20 PM
Sponsor
Received 418 Likes on 249 Posts

I figured out that my obd2 reader with TorquePro app is off, when it says maximum of 11.2 Professional scanner tools show a max boost of 14.6

The following users liked this post:
jahummer (10-11-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AlexJag
I figured out that my obd2 reader with TorquePro app is off, when it says maximum of 11.2 Professional scanner tools show a max boost of 14.6
What kind of tool are you using?

My question was if anyone figured out an accurate boost gauge for the AJ34S.

Old 10-11-2016, 03:30 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by jahummer

When a had a shop connect their big computer they told me that highest boost recorded in the system is at 14.6

Old 10-11-2016, 03:33 PM
Sponsor

Jahummer this is off topic,, how is your tune working out? you ever heard the car ping at all?

Old 10-12-2016, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

Does this have anything to do with it?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...m-what-170750/

Old 10-12-2016, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,887 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Does this have anything to do with it?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...m-what-170750/
That's part of the line mentioned in posts 7 & 8 above.

jahummer (10-12-2016)
Old 04-05-2017, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts
Exclamation

It appears that the last message to this Thread was 10/12/2016 but I would like to add that my Snow Performance Boost Gauge, which is teed into the little line coming off the Supercharger has high readings of 25 & 26 Lbs. The Big Pulley is a little larger than normal and I think the small one is the smallest......I have the initial injection set to come on at 7lbs and the second shot comes on at 18lbs. That's with the small 160 nozzle.....256 Cubic Inches will not take a lot of Water/Meth around town.....without getting to much and kind of Flooding out!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 04-05-2017, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bcprice36
It appears that the last message to this Thread was 10/12/2016 but I would like to add that my Snow Performance Boost Gauge, which is teed into the little line coming off the Supercharger has high readings of 25 & 26 Lbs. The Big Pulley is a little larger than normal and I think the small one is the smallest......I have the initial injection set to come on at 7lbs and the second shot comes on at 18lbs. That's with the small 160 nozzle.....256 Cubic Inches will not take a lot of Water/Meth around town.....without getting to much and kind of Flooding out!

Billy Clyde in Houston
I have a Snow system and not seeing numbers like that at all. In fact I do not believe the super charger is even capable of boost that high. The highest numbers I have seen were from Mustangs with the M112 heavily modified by porting, polishing, upper & very large lower pulleys, and heavy cooling mods with max boost of about 22lbs in the extreme. Most modded Mustangs see boost in the mid teens.

What kind of mods have you done?

Old 04-05-2017, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member
Smile

Well! I guess I'm a either a liar or I'm stupid before I even start, so what should I do? You will not believe it anyway.....I did miss the number on the nozzle and said it was a 160...I apologize for that as it is a 175! I remember changing that as I had started with a 225. The VC-50 Controller is also a Boost Gauge, as you already know, and it is hooked up to the little line that comes off the Supercharger...I figured that rather than drilling another hole, I would just use that one...actually put a tee in it....Seems to work fine don't you think? 25-26 lbs. is not bad for that little Eaton! The engine and intake system have been Ported from the T/Body thru to the exhaust manifolds, which are XJR's with 200 Cell Cats into a Quicksilver Exhaust system.....Combustion chambers changed to 9.5 and the tops of the pistons, combustion chambers, valves and valve-runners have all been Ceramic coated....Pretty good little runner for a 256CI.....And yes it will blow 25-26 lbs. although you have made up your mind that it doesn't and no one can change your "Mind" can they....? Come to Houston and I will show you!
Young Man, I've been doing this stuff since 1955...Remember, the Chevy small block started out at 265CI...I had one that turned over 10,000 RPM's back then but of course you don't believe that either!!!!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 04-05-2017, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member

Oh! Jahummer,,,,How's that Quaife LSD working out for you? Sorry I forgot to ask, but I would like to know! How much and where did it come from?

BC in Houston

Old 04-06-2017, 05:59 AM
Veteran Member

Well! I guess I'm a either a liar or I'm stupid before I even start, so what should I do? You will not believe it anyway.....I did miss the number on the nozzle and said it was a 160...I apologize for that as it is a 175! I remember changing that as I had started with a 225. The VC-50 Controller is also a Boost Gauge, as you already know, and it is hooked up to the little line that comes off the Supercharger...I figured that rather than drilling another hole, I would just use that one...actually put a tee in it....Seems to work fine don't you think? 25-26 lbs. is not bad for that little Eaton! The engine and intake system have been Ported from the T/Body thru to the exhaust manifolds, which are XJR's with 200 Cell Cats into a Quicksilver Exhaust system.....Combustion chambers changed to 9.5 and the tops of the pistons, combustion chambers, valves and valve-runners have all been Ceramic coated....Pretty good little runner for a 256CI.....And yes it will blow 25-26 lbs. although you have made up your mind that it doesn't and no one can change your "Mind" can they....? Come to Houston and I will show you!
Young Man, I've been doing this stuff since 1955...Remember, the Chevy small block started out at 265CI...I had one that turned over 10,000 RPM's back then but of course you don't believe that either!!!!

Billy Clyde in Houston
Billy

I appreciate your participation in this thread. I NEVER called you a liar I simply asked valid questions because you provided little detail other than the Snow meth kit and seeing 26psi boost.

When participating here it is helpful to provide all of the relevant details such as year and model and when making claims of extremely high numbers how it is that you were able to do that. Reading your post I have to assume you have only the meth kit (which has nothing to do with increasing boost). For example it's like posting "Guys, have just returned from a dyno session and the dyno said the car is putting down 1400 rwhp but I'm not going to tell you why it's 4x more than factory spec!"

Members here have posted boost numbers ranging from 8-14 psi. In my case using both analog and digital boost gauges connected to the same line you are using the highest I have seen is 8.5psi, same for the Snow kit.

So for the benefit of us all, please justify the data with the full details. Besides meth, you must be using other cooling? What kind of RPM is the blower running? Who did the work? Pictures? Dyno? Strip times? Etc...

As for the quaife it completely transformed the drivability of the car, it came directly from Quaife in the UK about 3 days after I ordered it and cost was around $1200 shipped. There are several suppliers that can get it for you but almost everyone drop ships from Quaife.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Billy

So for the benefit of us all, please justify the data with the full details. Besides meth, you must be using other cooling? What kind of RPM is the blower running? Who did the work? Pictures? Dyno? Strip times? Etc...
I was going to ask Billy whether video was possible (also not calling you a liar)

jahummer (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
Smile

"In fact I do not believe the super charger is even capable of boost that high." Hey Man, what do you call that? and "Most modded Mustangs see boost in the mid teens." We are not talking about Mustangs here, Jahummer! Now you want to know how I did it and Sean wants a moving picture of it all.......I'll get around to the Dyno pretty soon but I'm not set for that yet, I've still got a couple ideas I want to do first! Sean, since you don't believe me either....I get you a photo of the Boost Gauge on 25....Would that make you a happy guy? I didn't realize that I had to show my ID before I could get into your Club......I'm not going to tell you all my secrets....but I'm not going to lie about something I've done either....

You keep wanting to know about my Inter-Cooler; I have the large intercooler radiator and the large Pump......which helps a bunch! The Snow Water/Meth works great, when you finally find the secret nozzle and Boost pressures it needs ....Once again the problem is everyone wants to use a "big old Nozzle" and all that gets them is a big puff of White smoke......an a bog-down..! You have to remember, this Engine is only 256CI. But Guys, all that stuff doesn't create Boost, it just helps a little.....Boost is simply created by the Pulleys and the breathability of the system.....What we really need is one of those Screw-type Superchargers like the Whipple......then we could really get some H/P and Boost up to 40 or 50 lbs. I saw some Guy had started making a kit for the Jaguar XKR but apparently he gave up on it! If you see anything about that system, please let us all know!

In answer to your questions about who did the work? Well several Guys have helped including myself.....The Pulleys were set-up by my friend Phil @ Eurotek in NY and I have this young 72 year old man here in Houston that used to be on an Aston-Martin Race Team, that helps with the "Wrench" and a bunch of "ideas and diagrams"....He has a Shop that we use for this and that.....That's why I was asking about the Quaife LSD, Jahummer.....Just thinking that I might need one of those soon.....Thanks for confirming that it works good!

Anyway, it's possible that the Boost-Gauge is not reading perfectly, but it certainly runs up the numbers when I push on it! Also, I'm having a problem keeping the Supercharger bolted down to the Injector Bodies.....Just put new Gaskets on and the restricted-performance light is already lighting-up again...Do you have any ideas? Some type of sealant you could suggest? Those little tin things aren't doing the job.....Think that might be because of all that Boost? Tell you what! When I get all this little stuff worked-out, I'll get it on the Dyno and take that PHOTO for you Guys to wonder over!

Of course, us old Guys, you know that don't really know much about these new fangled Cars...are still learning!

Good Luck to you Guys! I hope you figure it out someday......

Billy Clyde in Houston

The following 2 users liked this post by bcprice36:
jahummer (04-06-2017), Ranchero50 (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 05:54 PM
Sponsor

Billy Clyde in Houston

26lb of boost out of m112 , it has to be a record I would love to know more details on your build please

2013 XJ 5.0 Supercharged, (stock with Alpha Jag ECU tune), estimated power: 600+ hp, 7.7sec 1.8th mi/95mph
jahummer (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member

Billy, Thank you for the follow up.

"In fact I do not believe the super charger is even capable of boost that high." Hey Man, what do you call that? and "Most modded Mustangs see boost in the mid teens." We are not talking about Mustangs here, Jahummer! Now you want to know how I did it and Sean wants a moving picture of it all.......I'll get around to the Dyno pretty soon but I'm not set for that yet, I've still got a couple ideas I want to do first! Sean, since you don't believe me either....I get you a photo of the Boost Gauge on 25....Would that make you a happy guy? I didn't realize that I had to show my ID before I could get into your Club......I'm not going to tell you all my secrets....but I'm not going to lie about something I've done either....
I realize these aren't Mustangs or Corvettes, but the principles are the same, the pulleys are the same and the supercharger IS the same. A dyno run alone is not necessarily what we are after, we'd like to see the whole picture!

You keep wanting to know about my Inter-Cooler; I have the large intercooler radiator and the large Pump......which helps a bunch! The Snow Water/Meth works great, when you finally find the secret nozzle and Boost pressures it needs ....Once again the problem is everyone wants to use a "big old Nozzle" and all that gets them is a big puff of White smoke......an a bog-down..! You have to remember, this Engine is only 256CI. But Guys, all that stuff doesn't create Boost, it just helps a little.....Boost is simply created by the Pulleys and the breathability of the system.....What we really need is one of those Screw-type Superchargers like the Whipple......then we could really get some H/P and Boost up to 40 or 50 lbs. I saw some Guy had started making a kit for the Jaguar XKR but apparently he gave up on it! If you see anything about that system, please let us all know!
You are probably referring to AVOS here on the forums who was making twin screw chargers for the X100. He is about as knowledgeable on the X100 as anyone can possibly be.

In answer to your questions about who did the work? Well several Guys have helped including myself.....The Pulleys were set-up by my friend Phil @ Eurotek in NY and I have this young 72 year old man here in Houston that used to be on an Aston-Martin Race Team, that helps with the "Wrench" and a bunch of "ideas and diagrams"....He has a Shop that we use for this and that.....That's why I was asking about the Quaife LSD, Jahummer.....Just thinking that I might need one of those soon.....Thanks for confirming that it works good!

Anyway, it's possible that the Boost-Gauge is not reading perfectly, but it certainly runs up the numbers when I push on it! Also, I'm having a problem keeping the Supercharger bolted down to the Injector Bodies.....Just put new Gaskets on and the restricted-performance light is already lighting-up again...Do you have any ideas? Some type of sealant you could suggest? Those little tin things aren't doing the job.....Think that might be because of all that Boost? Tell you what! When I get all this little stuff worked-out, I'll get it on the Dyno and take that PHOTO for you Guys to wonder over!

Of course, us old Guys, you know that don't really know much about these new fangled Cars...are still learning!

Good Luck to you Guys! I hope you figure it out someday......

Billy Clyde in Houston
By the way a did a quick search and realize you have a 2005 X100 XKR. While the supercharger is essentially the same, the motor in your is quite different from our X150 XKRs as is the PCM & transmission. Also it is well documented that at "X" RPM, the efficiency of the Eaton is exhausted, boost can only go "so" high with this blower and at some point the blower will spin itself to destruction. No doubt with high boost pressures, you will need a lot of cooling and possibly something other than "pump" gas as well a proper ECU map. Also while the X100 DOES benefit from a larger lower crank pulley and smaller upper pulley, the X150 was upgraded by Jaguar to a larger lower crank and additional gains by going even larger are somewhat sketchy based on my discussions with Jaguar performance engineers.

Anyhow, I think you may have misunderstood my intent. I don't think anyone is doubting the veracity your claims, however many of us veterans here have spent many years and $$$ to research, experiment and attempt to achieve significant modifications and gains and we tend to all work together and share our successes and failures to help each other out. So when someone comes along and says they accomplished what has previously been a challenge it is nice to know what steps were taken to get there.

Last edited by jahummer; 04-06-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:44 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Are we talking absolute pressure or gauge pressure?

Absolute pressure includes atmospheric pressure, so subtract 14.7 psi, you get gauge pressure.

Gauge pressure is the pressure above atmospheric.

26psi absolute = 11.3psi gauge.

That would be a reasonable explanation....

jahummer (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

I think the pressure reading is relative. Make the air path through the engine more efficient, and more power gets to the wheels for the same relative boost level.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:12 PM
Veteran Member
Lightbulb

Jahummer, Cambo & Ranchero50:

Jahummer, Am I to apologize for only having a 2005 XKR Coupe or what? This is my 4th XK of which this one is my 3rd XKR, besides all that, It doesn't matter which Engine I have as we are only talking about 256 CI's. Now this is where Ranchero50 comes-in....He gets it, we are talking about an Air-Pump....How much Air can you get through that little Engine in the shortest amount of time....Avos, can tell you that his Kenny Bell 2.8 Screw system is the secret to his High H/P ratings, as it gets a bunch of air through the engine....That is what we all should be talking about but he stopped making them.....but then I guess $7 or $8 thousand is a bunch to throw at a car...unless you think about how much you are willing to pay for a H/P......Haven't thought about the H/P per Dollar ratio.....but his way is probably the cheapest way from scratch, that is if we could still buy it! Personally, I'm not going to build a system such as his because I don't have the time but if some Company, like Derek's here, would start something similar to Avos's and advertise it at a reasonable amount, he should be able to make some Big Bucks off of it!

Now to Mr. Cambo and absolute Pressure and atmospheric Pressure! I'm not an Engineer, therefore I can't comment on all that stuff...All I know is that Mr. Snow's VC-50 Controller on my Water/Methanol system is a Boost-Gauge, in addition to a water injection controller and at idle that Controller does not say that the abundant pressure is 14.7 psi. as a matter of fact it doesn't say anything! But when the pressure is on that little Controller says 25 to 26 lbs. of Boost.....Everyone that has seen it have been shocked! Including me.....What do I think caused this? Simple Porting and Ceramic Coating for better air flow through the Engine......Simple answer!

Once again, the Engine is an Air-Pump! How fast can you get Air through the Engine?

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 04-07-2017, 04:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Mr. Snow's VC-50 Controller on my Water/Methanol system is a Boost-Gauge, in addition to a water injection controller and at idle that Controller does not say that the abundant pressure is 14.7 psi. as a matter of fact it doesn't say anything! But when the pressure is on that little Controller says 25 to 26 lbs. of Boost.....Everyone that has seen it have been shocked! Including me.....What do I think caused this? Simple Porting and Ceramic Coating for better air flow through the Engine......Simple answer!

Billy Clyde in Houston
I believe 25-26 boost is not achievable with the Eaton on these cars. So I think the gauge is misreading or misleading.

Quick Reply: Boost Gauge readings