XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dash fan smoking.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 09:13 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dash fan smoking.

I was sitting at a red light tinkering with the switches, trying to get familiar with the console, the air conditioning was on auto, and I turned the recerculate button on and off. But then I turned the dial all the way up to see how strong the air would blow and it did not seem to blow very hard at all, but the cab started filling with a fine haze, and I noticed smoke coming up from under the hood on the passenger side just in front of the dash area. I dropped the fan back down and everything cleared up, I put the auto back on and everything works normally. Just doesn't like being turned up manually.

Has anyone heard of this, or could I possibly have had a rat chew some wires under the hood.

Last edited by Bobioknight; 08-13-2016 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

What did it smell like. Was it wiring insulation smell or rubber or coolant . Is your AC duck bill drain working so you see water dripping under the car. If you turn it back to manual and turn the knob does the fan speed still pick up or do you only have maybe 2 or 3 speeds. Can you repeat the problem . Pop the hood and remove the plastic cover on that side and have someone turn on the fan .

The following users liked this post:
Bobioknight (08-14-2016)
Old 08-13-2016, 11:04 AM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

I think you're new to this car, if you haven't already done so take all of about 4 minutes and pull out your cabin air filter (no tools needed) and take a look at it to see if it is badly clogged, feel free to blow it out with an air compressor or remove large leaves and such.

Bobioknight (08-14-2016)
Old 08-13-2016, 11:26 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Bought my car a few weeks ago. I noticed smoke coming from under the dash were the fan sits. I had a good idea were it was from because a few days earlier i noticed air con water coming from that area, from what i researched its because of the boocked drainage tube. I unblocked the tube from inside the engine bay and it stopped, then dryed the carpet out.
Stripping out the fan unit i noticed that because there was so much water damage, the fan was stuck. So i replaced both the fan unit and the control module. Now its perfect and i am happy
Thats an option, hope it helps.

Bobioknight (08-14-2016)
Old 08-14-2016, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by jagtoes
What did it smell like. Was it wiring insulation smell or rubber or coolant . Is your AC duck bill drain working so you see water dripping under the car. If you turn it back to manual and turn the knob does the fan speed still pick up or do you only have maybe 2 or 3 speeds. Can you repeat the problem . Pop the hood and remove the plastic cover on that side and have someone turn on the fan .
Fortunately I can repeat the problem. So yes I will test with a second set of eyes helping. It does not smell like burning, just smell different, hot maybe, but definitely smokes. Only on high, otherwise the fan and air works perfectly.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bobioknight
Fortunately I can repeat the problem. So yes I will test with a second set of eyes helping. It does not smell like burning, just smell different, hot maybe, but definitely smokes. Only on high, otherwise the fan and air works perfectly.
As mentioned above pull the plastic cover in the engine compartment near the pass. side and pull out and check the cabin air filter.

Bobioknight (08-14-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 01:25 AM

Filter was clear. I ran the fan on high and I did not get the smoke, I am kinda thinking maybe it was something else. At the same time I saw the smoke I had plugged my phone / ipad charger into the port in the glove box. I read the manual and it say's don't plug anything into the port until you check with the dealer first. So maybe I overloaded the circuit port. The adapter I use is a dual output type. I had the phone plugged in all day, when I turned up the fan I had also plugged my ipad in to the charger as well, I assumed the fan was the issue but I did unplug the adapter as soon as I realized there was smoke. Any thoughts?

Old 08-15-2016, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member

Filter was clear. I ran the fan on high and I did not get the smoke, I am kinda thinking maybe it was something else. At the same time I saw the smoke I had plugged my phone / ipad charger into the port in the glove box. I read the manual and it say's don't plug anything into the port until you check with the dealer first. So maybe I overloaded the circuit port. The adapter I use is a dual output type. I had the phone plugged in all day, when I turned up the fan I had also plugged my ipad in to the charger as well, I assumed the fan was the issue but I did unplug the adapter as soon as I realized there was smoke. Any thoughts?
Bob as an FYI the sockets in the glove box and arm rest are hot with the ignition on or until the system shuts down when locking the car. If you would have overloaded them then you would have blown a fuse. I think you need the smell test to determine what it is . It just may be water vapor or it may be electrical and if the latter you don't want to have a short and burn the car up. As I mentioned does it smell like electrical insulation or rubber.

Bobioknight (08-15-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 09:05 AM

Sorry, no it really did not smell like burning. That's what was so weird, there was none of the usual electronic or wire or rubber burning smell that normally accompanies a hazy "smokey" cab. That's why it took me a few minutes to realize there was something bad happening. This weekend I pulled that filter, it was perfectly clean, blowing it off produced no dust so I expect during the annual service they dropped a new one in. I do have what appears all fan speeds, I tried moving up slowly then quickly like before and it hasn't happened again, however, I have not noticed condensation on the ground either. I was able to reproduce the problem last week, but this weekend after the car sat overnight the problem was gone, the condensation could have evaporated or slowly dripped out, So I guess we have narrowed it down to everyone's first opinion that it's the duck bill not draining at all or not fast enough.

I have read about the difficulty to access the duck bill. Any suggestions, I really don't want to drop the transmission, but I better do something. I read the post that he accessed the tube from within the engine compartment, I expect with a hanger. Any pointers.

Last edited by Bobioknight; 08-15-2016 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:31 AM

I just found some videos a user DpezXK8 posted about opening up the duck bill. Gonna watch those and try to do the same.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,894 Likes on 1,285 Posts

I just found some videos a user DpezXK8 posted about opening up the duck bill. Gonna watch those and try to do the same.
Just be patient, its a PITA, but it does get the condensate flowing out of the car.

Bobioknight (08-15-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 11:22 PM

Duck bill has been compromised. I located the hole where the duck bill is located, ran the air a little to see if conspdensation would begin to drip, well it did become a little bit wet but not much. I took a metal rod bent the tip around two inches from the endi also sharpened it to a point and about a1/2 inch cutting edge. So as I slid the point up unto the hole, I was able to feel it puncture into the duck bill and then as I twisted the rod I felt is tearing and slicing, I did this a few times and immediately there was a nice puddle of water under the vehicle. Think it's fixed.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:21 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

Sounds like a permanent fix. That duck won't quack any more.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:37 AM

That's true, condensation is flowing nicely now.

So I have not experienced the smoke or steam again, I noticed when I do dial the fan all the way up to the highest level, I can audibly hear the speed fluctuate slightly. Is that normal? Again the apparent smoke did not smell like anything like burning. Is the fluctuating speed normal or could something not working properly.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:30 PM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

The fluctuating speed and the rest of your issue sounds like the control module (aka resistor). Since you had the duckbill issue you likely had water running over the fan and module for who knows how long. The fan could be binding as well but I wouldnt start there. Not necessarily cheap parts but super easy to change: up under the passenger footwell. Jac

07 2007 Jaguar XK Blower Motor Resistor - Climate Control - Standard Motor Products - PartsGeek

https://www.google.com/search?source...0j0l4.5591j0j7

Bobioknight (08-27-2016)