XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Daylight Driving Lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 06:16 AM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Daylight Driving Lights

hi all

I have a question about the logic behind the Daylight driving lights logic that was installed in XK up and including until 2011 (after 2011 the faceliftes XKs obtained proper day driving lights, ie. specific lights for day use).

Until 2011 the XK does use the normal beam headlights as day driving lights. Due to legislation in my country my 2011 XK has the normal beam headlights on when the engine runs, even if the lights switch is “off”. My car also has the infamous AFS or what ever the name is: the lights that dynamicly follow the road.

Because in my car the normal beam lights are on even if stalk switch is off, what is the difference whether I have the switch off, normal beam head lights or on Auto? The head light are on in all these three switch positions. Does it make a difference for the AFS?

best
ter

Old 08-14-2018, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 671 Likes on 334 Posts

DRL’s are only the headlights, I believe the difference in auto and off would be that your tail lights would automatically come on in auto...

Old 08-14-2018, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by TexasTraveler
DRL’s are only the headlights, I believe the difference in auto and off would be that your tail lights would automatically come on in auto...
thanks. Good point. I just went to the garage to check. The tail lights are on even when stalk “off”. I still need to check when driving, but I believe that on “off” the AFS is not active. It is only when normal bean on or Auto. Btw - same thing for the rain sensor for the wipers: only active when the lights are on Auto, right? I tested it today and the wipers seem to be strictly time triggered when on intermittent and light not on auto, which I find good, because often the sensor wipers are not doing exactly as Iike.

Br
ter

Old 08-14-2018, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ter11

thanks. Good point. I just went to the garage to check. The tail lights are on even when stalk “off”. I still need to check when driving, but I believe that on “off” the AFS is not active. It is only when normal bean on or Auto. Btw - same thing for the rain sensor for the wipers: only active when the lights are on Auto, right? I tested it today and the wipers seem to be strictly time triggered when on intermittent and light not on auto, which I find good, because often the sensor wipers are not doing exactly as Iike.

Br
ter
Where are you located? I believe you are correct when off is selected the AFS is not active... Yes, if in auto and you turn wipers on your lights turn on, also there is a speed dependent mode which turns your wipers to lowest setting when stopped and once you start moving again the wipers go back to original speed.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:03 AM

I am located in Switzerland

Old 08-14-2018, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member

I wonder if one of the differences in Canadian, Scandinavian or Polish DRL option is the tail lights... You say that your tail lights are on during the day? I will have to confirm but when I turned my DRL on I chose the Canadian option and I don't believe my tail lights are on during the day...

Last edited by TexasTraveler; 08-14-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:30 AM

I am not sure which DRL option I have active (was activated before I bought the vehicle), but i guess it is most probably the Scandinavian/European one.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasTraveler
That is not correct. In markets (such as Canada) which require DRL , Jaguars have ALL exterior lights illuminated, front, side and rear regardless of the position of the lighting control (unlike other makes which often have only the front lights on). So in a Jaguar it is not necessary to touch the light switch; it can be left in the OFF position, with one caveat: in Jaguars built for 2005 and later, the dash lights are not illuminated with the DRL system (and therefore at night the switch must be turned on). But Jaguars built before 2005 have all lights, including dash lights, on all the time. My wife has been driving her X-Type for 15 years, day and night, and the light switch has been in the OFF position all that time - never touched. On my 2005 X-Type wagon I only have to touch the light switch when I need to illuminate the dash instruments. All these cars have AUTO lighting systems but that is redundant in DRL markets.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

JLR SDD may have something to say on this subject....................

Old 08-14-2018, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sov211

That is not correct. In markets (such as Canada) which require DRL , Jaguars have ALL exterior lights illuminated, front, side and rear regardless of the position of the lighting control (unlike other makes which often have only the front lights on). So in a Jaguar it is not necessary to touch the light switch; it can be left in the OFF position, with one caveat: in Jaguars built for 2005 and later, the dash lights are not illuminated with the DRL system (and therefore at night the switch must be turned on). But Jaguars built before 2005 have all lights, including dash lights, on all the time. My wife has been driving her X-Type for 15 years, day and night, and the light switch has been in the OFF position all that time - never touched. On my 2005 X-Type wagon I only have to touch the light switch when I need to illuminate the dash instruments. All these cars have AUTO lighting systems but that is redundant in DRL markets.
i should have been more clear, I was referring to the AFS that OP referenced. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that when DRL’s are on the AFS is not working... I will have to get someone to check and see if my tail lights come on with DRL as you mentioned, since I did chose the Canadian option.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member

I should have been more clear, I was referring to the AFS that OP referenced. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that when DRL’s are on the AFS is not working...

edit: so I did confirm that the Canadian DRL option turns on all lights including rear. I also confirmed that if you leave your stalk in off position the AFS is not activated. So if you want AFS, stalk has to be on or auto.

Last edited by TexasTraveler; 08-14-2018 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

I think the OP is asking if it is necessary to turn the lights on to get the full effect of the entire lighting system if the DRLs are on during the daytime. I that the answer to the question is to put the light switch in the stalk to automatic and you will get the best of both worlds. The DRLs will work in daylight (no interior lighting). And when the lights get turned on automatically at dusk the interior lights will automatically light up along with the green Icon on the lower right of the panel in front of the driver.

Last edited by ralphwg; 08-14-2018 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ralphwg
I think the OP is asking if it necessary to turn the lights on to get the full effect of the entire lighting system if the DRLs are on during the daytime. I think that the answer to the question is to put the light switch in the stalk to automatic and you will get the best of both worlds. The DLRs will work in daylight (no ior lighting). And when the lights get turned on automatically at dusk the interior lights will automatically light up along with the green Icon on the lower right of the panel in front of the driver.
Agreed, that’s how I use mine...

Old 08-15-2018, 01:43 AM

Dear all! Thanks for shedding light onto this subject. All clear now. I was interested in this amongst other to find out if AFS can be deactivated in some way. Reason: to only use it when needed ie. not in daytime- to reduce wear&tear on the AFS mechanisms, as failure here can result in very costly light replacement.

Br
ter

Old 08-15-2018, 06:46 AM
Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

My 2007 is a pre-production model and has DRL activated. As sov211 indicated, all exterior lights are on when the gear selector is moved to D regardless of the light switch position. I have to use the light switch at night so that the interior instrument lighting turns on. I don't like the way that DRL is implemented and would prefer for that to be deactivated. However I am afraid to use my bootleg SDD as that will probably screw up some obscure configuration file...

Old 08-16-2018, 04:19 AM

While the workmanual confirms that Canadian DRL does deactivate AFS in off mode, it is silent to this for European DRL.

For my car I can confirm that AFS becomes active even in off mode. Unfortunately. But it seems it does so only when dark outside. Not 100% sure, but this is what I experienced driving around yesterday in my XK 2011.

br
ter