XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine Hot

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 08:51 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Engine Hot

2011 XKR. So far no worries (I think), but it seems a terrible amount of time for my engine to cool down after driving. I drive from work to home, about 20 minutes; and 2 hours later the engine is still VERY warm. Should I worry?

Old 11-17-2017, 02:42 AM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Not in my experience. These engines run very hot and stay hot for a good long while just as you describe.

You can assuage any fears by purchasing a cheap ELM327 OBDII reader which will allow you to monitor your engine coolant temp, among many other things, in real time via an app on your mobile phone.

Enjoy the ride :-)

Edit: just noticed you have a later model XKR (X150). Imagine the same applies (this sub-forum is for the earlier XK8/R's - X100).

Last edited by JagNoir; 11-17-2017 at 02:44 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:19 AM
Received 4,182 Likes on 3,645 Posts

I've moved this thread to the appropriate model XK/XKR section for better response

Old 11-17-2017, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by pita
2011 XKR. So far no worries (I think), but it seems a terrible amount of time for my engine to cool down after driving. I drive from work to home, about 20 minutes; and 2 hours later the engine is still VERY warm. Should I worry?
No you shouldn't in general. Think about it. You have a large 5.0 liter engine in a tight engine bay with vanity covers and an under scuttle. The under scuttle serves a purpose which is to help direct air through the bay while driving.

So now you've stopped and there is no where for the engine heat to go, except to slowly dissipate over time. I've left my hood open after a drive and it still takes a long time to cool.

If you're worried, download the Torque app from the google play store to your phone, plug in a OBDII dongle and you can occasionally check the coolant temperature.

The following users liked this post:
pita (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by JagNoir
Not in my experience. These engines run very hot and stay hot for a good long while just as you describe.

You can assuage any fears by purchasing a cheap ELM327 OBDII reader which will allow you to monitor your engine coolant temp, among many other things, in real time via an app on your mobile phone.

Enjoy the ride :-)

Edit: just noticed you have a later model XKR (X150). Imagine the same applies (this sub-forum is for the earlier XK8/R's - X100).

Thanks so much! It does make sense...there are no warning lights, and I've never owned a car with such might. The nature of the beast I guess!

Old 11-17-2017, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Sean W
No you shouldn't in general. Think about it. You have a large 5.0 liter engine in a tight engine bay with vanity covers and an under scuttle. The under scuttle serves a purpose which is to help direct air through the bay while driving.

So now you've stopped and there is no where for the engine heat to go, except to slowly dissipate over time. I've left my hood open after a drive and it still takes a long time to cool.

If you're worried, download the Torque app from the google play store to your phone, plug in a OBDII dongle and you can occasionally check the coolant temperature.

Thanks so much! It does make sense...there are no warning lights, and I've never owned a car with such might. The nature of the beast I guess!

Old 11-17-2017, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

I'd hang the vanity cover on your garage wall and not be vain. Only be concerned if the fan runs after the car is shut off. That's the only indication that the car is running warmer than 'ideal'. The fail safe dash lights come on once it's too late. Southwest will probably have a couple days when it runs warm.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
I'd hang the vanity cover on your garage wall and not be vain. Only be concerned if the fan runs after the car is shut off. That's the only indication that the car is running warmer than 'ideal'. The fail safe dash lights come on once it's too late. Southwest will probably have a couple days when it runs warm.
Agreed. They do aid minimally with cabin quiet as they are insulated (I definitely noticed it in my XJ Super V8), but those cars are meant to allow conversations at a whisper. The insulation certainly doesn't help with heat dissipation.

The XK is just loud by comparison and I doubt one would notice the slight noise increase if it was removed.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

I read somewhere that the engine cover helps keep engine heat off of the hood and it may do long term damage to the hood paint if removed. Sounds possible... Can anyone verify this?

Old 11-17-2017, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

Sorry, bonnet. I forgot where i was

Old 11-17-2017, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by shemp
I read somewhere that the engine cover helps keep engine heat off of the hood and it may do long term damage to the hood paint if removed. Sounds possible... Can anyone verify this?
Not to worry shemp. I think it's a bit o' urban legend/ wives tale, but at any rate, your bonnet is insulated too.

Even if it didn't, if paint jobs survived 60's muscle car engine heat (didn't have hood liners), today's cars will too.

The liner on my 86 VDP disintegrated by heat and age. I drove it for three years before replacing it. I added it to reduce sound. Paint was never affected.

The following users liked this post:
shemp (11-18-2017)