XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Is an extended warranty worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 02:06 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Is an extended warranty worth it?

Leaning on all of the experts here for this one. Recent purchase of a 2007 XKR 4.2L convertible and looking into an extended warranty. The dealer offered one at an outrageous price and started doing some research. An advice or recommended companies would be appreciated.

Old 11-14-2018, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Read everything and ask any questions before signing anything. You will get some guys who live and die by them and other who don't see much value in them. Prices on the 4.2's isn't horrible and the systems are pretty simple.

The following users liked this post:
fataboy01 (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

LOTS of third-party warranties aren't worth the cost of ink to sign them. The places go out of business and keep your money due to bankruptcy. Other places have hidden charges and increases on deductibles, or specific warranty work locales that are not reputable. One of the biggest frauds nowadays is "Extended Vehicle Warranty" companies. You have to be VERY careful if you decide to purchase one.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:06 PM
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Depends on your finances

Can you take the hit if you need an engine or trans swap?
As others have said, you don’t know if these companies will still be in business in a few years. It’s def a gamble, most policies are around $2500 from a decent company. Check out BBB when evaluating these companies. There will always be a few complaints but if there’s a pattern then stay away from that company. Over the years I’ve had a warranty company go under on a corvette I had & you’re money is lost. There’s no recovering it.

Personally, I’d drive the **** out of the car without buying the warranty. There’s enough of them in junkyards to part out or as long as you don’t have a catastrophic failure you can also trade the car for a 5.0 when the time is right (which is what I did). Good luck.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rick7311
Can you take the hit if you need an engine or trans swap?
As others have said, you don’t know if these companies will still be in business in a few years. It’s def a gamble, most policies are around $2500 from a decent company. Check out BBB when evaluating these companies. There will always be a few complaints but if there’s a pattern then stay away from that company. Over the years I’ve had a warranty company go under on a corvette I had & you’re money is lost. There’s no recovering it.

Personally, I’d drive the **** out of the car without buying the warranty. There’s enough of them in junkyards to part out or as long as you don’t have a catastrophic failure you can also trade the car for a 5.0 when the time is right (which is what I did). Good luck.
Appreciate the feedback. Obviously if the motor goes, may junk it for the value or try to sell what’s left. Right now I plan to enjoy for a couple years and see from there. Just thought about keeping long term as it is a beautiful design. With the 4.2L it doesn’t seem to have many issues. Guess it is a matter of dealing with the other gremlins similar to the ones I had on my RR.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 405 Posts

When I bought my car it had 136,000 miles but was well maintained inside and out with records. I had never had a car loaded with electronics like this jaguar nor a supercharger. The blower was my main concern. 3 companies said no way to the R model and a 4th said he would give me the fire sale deal......2500 dollars...12 months 12,000 miles...powertrain only.....and it would cover the blower but not consequential damage....needless to say I have been doing the drive the manure out of it and loving it. The previous 2 owners were great and I follow suit .I am a pretty good wrench so that helps imensely. This car is very stout in design and construction IMHO.

Last edited by scottjh9; 11-14-2018 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 11-15-2018, 02:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 666 Likes on 451 Posts

11yr old car, I'd say no to an extended warranty, although I did take one on my 5.0 2014.

Here in the UK most companies won't offer an extended warranty on anything over 10yrs.

Old 11-15-2018, 02:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

If you can't/won't DIY the simple stuff (servicing, oil/brakes/etc changes) then they can easily be expensive cars. At the very least you need an affordable jag indy.

Warranty? No. Costs far too much and they'll be a pain right when you need them, if they pony up at all.

MarkyUK (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

Even though it's sold by a Jaguar dealer and marketed on its Jaguar letterhead, it's not a warranty because it's not backed by the manufacturer, Jaguar. It's an extended service contract backed by a third party unrelated to Jaguar and is like an insurance policy, including premiums, exclusions from coverage, deductibles, copays, limitations and even pre-existing conditions! BUYER BEWARE! You are entering a minefield with traps for the unwary. Don't sign anything based on what the salesman tells you - he is not your friend and just wants your money. Read the entire contract document, particularly the fine print that is ambiguous and enables the Administrator to deny coverage. Those companies are in business to make a profit and have the statistical data to know when something is likely to break and how much it will cost to repair it so they price their products accordingly. And, on top of that you have to add the Jaguar dealer profit and salesman's commission. Now you know why the price is so high.

But do extended service contracts live up to the buyers' expectations? Some do, but most don't. It's a crapshoot, and the odds are always in favor of the house. Do your due diligence and research customer reviews of that particular extended service contract before you sign and pay for it. It may make more sense to put that money in the bank instead.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

If you can keep 5K in an account somewhere, you'll have enough to cover whatever comes up. If nothing comes up; you got 5K sitting there!

The following 2 users liked this post by mosesbotbol:
Cee Jay (11-15-2018), Ranchero50 (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

And that's the big thing. If you have your money you can cover a limited amount of repairs. If the insurer does, you are at his mercy to have the repair covered. My oldest kid found out that the Jeep extended drive train warranty does not cover injectors last week. It was very educational for him. He about broke the service writers heart when he said we'd pull it if they couldn't give an honest quote for the repair. They knocked 1/3 of the guestimate cost off and got the work. Still hasn't ordered the service manual yet...

Old 11-15-2018, 08:55 PM
Received 140 Likes on 84 Posts

I just bought my 2010 XKR with 41k miles and purchased the 42/36 extended warranty. It was a bit pricey even at cost, but well worth the peace of mind and if something breaks you know the rest. Oh yeah I paid 3400 For the POM.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Tp10XKR
I just bought my 2010 XKR with 41k miles and purchased the 42/36 extended warranty. It was a bit pricey even at cost, but well worth the peace of mind and if something breaks you know the rest. Oh yeah I paid 3400 For the POM.
This is what I was hoping for with my car but too many miles. That 3400 comes out to less than a dime a mile....which is pretty cheap peace of mind..does it have a Max limit or steep deductible if you don't mind me asking.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:56 PM

That doesn’t sound bad. I’m looking to only cover the next 2-3 years and either upgrade or keep for the long haul. With 78k and only paying $15k for the vehicle, it is a choice not sure of yet. Did you get a bumper to bumper type program or just a drivetrain? I’m more concerned of issues taking it in for a problem and the week long approval issues.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

Tp10XKR, scottjh9, and fataboy01

If you have any claims, I hope that they are handled to your satisfaction, and that the Administrator doesn't use some ambiguous provision in the contract to deny payment.

Just curious if you made your purchase decision based on the brochure and what the salesman told you, or if you read the entire contract document.

Please keep us informed of your experiences, positive and negative, and good luck!

Old 11-16-2018, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by scottjh9
This is what I was hoping for with my car but too many miles. That 3400 comes out to less than a dime a mile....which is pretty cheap peace of mind..does it have a Max limit or steep deductible if you don't mind me asking.

100 deductible anywhere except at the dealer I purchased the warranty then zero dollars

Old 11-16-2018, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by fataboy01

That doesn’t sound bad. I’m looking to only cover the next 2-3 years and either upgrade or keep for the long haul. With 78k and only paying $15k for the vehicle, it is a choice not sure of yet. Did you get a bumper to bumper type program or just a drivetrain? I’m more concerned of issues taking it in for a problem and the week long approval issues.

my warranty is the top shelf on the market and a bumper to bumper. Now the catch and fine print is about a dozen things not covered, mostly wear items like brakes,wiper blades, tires, wheel repairs, and of course the water pump. But everything else is covered ... hope I don’t need to find out if it’s covered and the car preforms flawlessly, I’m sure I won’t own it past the warranty as I have a history of changing cars often, 36 in the last 22 years. Yes I need help lol

Old 11-16-2018, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

my warranty is the top shelf on the market and a bumper to bumper. Now the catch and fine print is about a dozen things not covered, mostly wear items like brakes,wiper blades, tires, wheel repairs, and of course the water pump. But everything else is covered ... hope I don’t need to find out if it’s covered and the car preforms flawlessly, I’m sure I won’t own it past the warranty as I have a history of changing cars often, 36 in the last 22 years. Yes I need help lol
Suspension wear usually wrangles up owners. The bushes wear quickly and they're rarely covered as they are chalked up to normal wear and tear.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:50 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

working in the industry for 21 years now on jaguars I would recommend almost hands down with a good warranty company like EASY CARE with Total care package. Don't waste your money on drivetrain, seriously waste of money. While drivetrains do fail its the other issues that will easily pay for the warranty coverage. like coolant leaks(no hoses) but pipes, reservoirs, water pumps, lots of suspension, door latches, ac conditioning compressors, touch screens go out, that's $4000, have a remote fail yeah they will pay for 1.lots of things other than drive train fails.. AND this is if you actually go tp the dealer to have your car serviced so that we kind find things that most owners are never aware of. Totally surprises me when someone has a EW and they never come in for service until they get a check engine light . All their services done somewhere else that evidently doesn't know what to look at, doesn't deal with EW companies or they just only want to do what a customer comes in for nothing more. Which I have always equated to going to a Dr. to set a broken bone and during the x-ray he sees a tumor and says nothing! Meh, not what they're here for.Then during my inspection of the car find $1000;s worth of over looked issues. Thing like suspension, coolant leaks, ac dye leaks which shows a Freon leak, and on and on.
The 04 XJR I have listed for sale here for the owners clocked a total of $18,000 spent by easy care over his warranty period. He was picky about noises from the suspension and other things so his car over a few years had the entire suspension replaced, coolant leaks fixed, and even a trans when it started to shift hard and a reflash didn't fix. Every time they came out to inspect the issues and approved the repairs. so knowing what I know and if I didn't take care of my own Jaguars I WOULD DEFINITELY BUY A EXT WARRANTY. But a good one and if you want to know the good companies go ask a service advisor. They are on the phone with them all the time every day and know which ones are problematic and which ones are not

Last edited by Brutal; 11-16-2018 at 11:55 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Brutal:
JackJohn (11-17-2018), mosesbotbol (11-16-2018), pk4144 (11-24-2018), ralphwg (11-16-2018), SinF (11-19-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 12:04 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
Suspension wear usually wrangles up owners. The bushes wear quickly and they're rarely covered as they are chalked up to normal wear and tear.
incorrect unless you have a crappy company or policy with a good one. You can buy cheap trimmed down policies with good companies and yeah, then you will be bitching about it. But by far most of the big repairs I do under extended warranty contracts are actually for suspension. And remarkably CPO does not cover some of the more common suspension failures like bushings if it is a serviceable part. If only a arm available they will. Of course it is always had to pin down CPO coverages because they do change. First part of the year a part is covered and then not, or visa versa. Also it takes a knowledgeable service advisor/tech to use proper wording when talking about the type of failure too.

mosesbotbol (11-21-2018)

Quick Reply: Is an extended warranty worth it?