XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Getting back in an XKR... I think.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 01:04 AM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Getting back in an XKR... I think.

Hey all. After loosing my beloved 2010 XKR in a low speed collision back in early July of 2012, I'm looking seriously at picking up a nice 2011. I preferred my old color (silver) to black, but otherwise the 2011 I'm looking at looks good. Any thoughts on differences between 2010's and 2011's, aside from the cool wear and tear warranty on the 2011? Looks the same to me.

Also, the car I'm looking at has a slightly tacky pinstripe going down each side. Very thin, painted on the front fender to the rear quarters along the high angle that turns into the fender flare, where a little "R" is painted, interrupting the line. A very thin line but noticeable. Anyone seen this before or was this the previous owner's idea of a tasteful way of making the car unique? Not a plus to be sure, but probably not enough to put me off the car.

Tanks for any thoughts or information,

Skeeter

Old 02-01-2013, 07:39 AM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Xkr175

Don't know if you'll find one but MY 2011 also had the special edition XKR175. This would be the one to go for as I believe it has the potential to become a collectible.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:18 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

XKR175 is only in black(I think). Seems like although it's a special anniversary edition, it doesn't seem to have lots of unique things.
I think 2011-2012 didn't warrant any significant changes. Go for the one you like and what your wallet is comfortable with. I don't think stretching $$ for a 2012 really means it's a better car. Pending the inservice date, sometimes the 2011's offer close to the same amount of warranty as 2012's. Great time to buy and i'm sure you can work dealers more on 2011's. You can't go wrong! Good luck!

Last edited by chakka; 02-01-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Hey Al,

Glad to hear you're still thinking of us and the XKR! 2011 makes sense with the warranty, unless the 2012 minor styling changes are a big draw for you. I might have mentioned this before, but how about changing it up for a convertible this time around? Did I mention ladies don't care much about 0-60 times, but they love verts...and being seen in them? Gotta please the ladies...enough said

And Jag did it extremely well with the XKR. But if you need a permanent roof that's fine, and the coupe looks almost as good as the vert!

haha

Bruce

Old 02-02-2013, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I think the styling changes in 2012 were much more significant than for the 2010 models.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:00 PM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
I might have mentioned this before, but how about changing it up for a convertible this time around? Did I mention ladies don't care much about 0-60 times, but they love verts...and being seen in them? Gotta please the ladies...enough said
Have to agree...I drive my Roadster twice as much as my XKR. So much more fun with open top motoring except if you're on the track.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool MY2012 convertible worth the upgrade

is a youtube video showing the design tweaks between MY10 and My12 models as described by the designer.

A late 2011 build MY12 is probably the best of both worlds - cheaper as not a 12 or 13 build, but still the much more sophisticated MY12 look. Convertible is sensational, and if you pull fuse 19 behind the rear seat it sounds even better than stock.

Well worth it, especially in silver. Get a wind deflector as well, and away you go. Brilliant in the flesh and gets loads of comments, all favourable, from the ladies who see it.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:00 AM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Thanks for the thoughts so far guys,

I'm definitely coupe guy, had a convertible previous gen, love the coupe look more than the drop top, though I know the coupe is the minority XK. Really money is not a huge factor, aside from future proof issues (I won't buy a high end car without the comfort of an extended warranty, though I guess this is a cost issue fundamentally). 2011 is of great appeal for convenience in that it covers wear and tear as well as routine maintenance, plus the 100k certified warranty peace of mind. The car is close and the purchase would be convenient.

On the other hand, I'm looking at a beautiful Audi r8 v 10 coupe that also is speaking to me... Located on the wrong coast and costing twice as much is the Jag, the Audi has more cachet but obviously not as convenient and ownership package. I really don't see the XkR as a future classic collectible as I do the Audi, to be honest. We're the Audi local it'd be hard to refuse, extended warranty and exotic mid engine v10 powered all wheel drive beast rolled into one.

But my 2010 X KR really treated me well. Exceptional reliability and long trip drivability with plenty of muscle to back up the pretty lines and exceptional female appeal . To make matters even more complicated, I found a local Nissan GTR at a very agreeable price with extended warranty also.

From my research, it does not appear that the GTR will provide close to the level of comfort and refinement as Jaguar. But it does seem to anybody that comes within 20 feet of that Nissan becomes intoxicated with its performance, and seems to overlook inferior interior build quality and overall design and reliability (as compared to the Jaguar).

All appealing for different reasons, cost not a primary issue, really tough to get enough inertia to get out of my awful daily driver and back into something special. The 2011 seems to be the best-of-breed given the wear and tear warranty. I really have a hard time seeing design changes from the 2011 to 2012, must be some headlight type stuff, intakes body color versus chrome, along those lines...

Gotta make my mind up sooner than later. Time waits for no man, and in the meanwhile I'm miserable in my daily driver. So really there's no reason not to act sooner than later other than indecision.

Keep the thoughts coming, the feedback definitely helps!

Skeeter

Old 02-03-2013, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

I'd drive local examples of any car you think you might be interested in....you might realize before turning the key that it's not for you. Exclusivity with the R8 and Gallardo if you want something more exotic, GT-R for a track car and for wannabee trackies that's not all that comfortable for daily use, XKR and V8 Vantage for the drop-dead gorgeous and elegant look that the others can't touch! C6 Vette might have lowest cost of ownership. Lots of other very popular highly regarded high-end choices if you want to disappear in the crowd.

2013/14 Viper, C7 Stingray and F-Type will all be slightly different and attractive used cars in a couple of years if the car you buy now doesn't become a long-termer.

Car shopping is fun...enjoy!

Bruce