XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Has anyone purchased the oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts
Default Has anyone purchased the oil pressure

I have seen there is a special oil filter cap for the 2010-15 XKR engine. It looks like there is a port for a fitting in the top to either put in a mechanical gauge or maybe an electrical gauge sensor. Has anyone purchased one and if so can you describe or take a picture of the inside. I was curious to see if there is a tube the seats into the oil filter port . Assuming this is a test only adapter it does not uses the filter during the oil pressure evaluation. Also if you bought one how much did it cost. I would assume it is a Jaguar part only. Thanks

Old 02-13-2016, 10:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

jagtoes, loved ur post on the oil change. However, instead of using the oil filter housing to get a pressure reading, you can use one of the oil ports in the engine.

on the bottom and in the back of any 5.0 engine, on either side there is a drillable port that you can plug a transducer into.

The port can be tapped and then the transduced is screwed in. The transducer then sends oil pressure readings, by telemetry to a gauge in the car.

U can get the transducer and telemetry gauge from any aerospace supplier, that runs ads in aviation mags.

I'm a girl and had no problems doing it myself. Just didnt like crawling under the car.

The following users liked this post:
guy (02-15-2016)
Old 02-14-2016, 12:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,184 Likes on 3,401 Posts

Originally Posted by 2,4,6,trinitro
... I'm a girl and had no problems doing it myself. Just didnt like crawling under the car.
Now THAT'S dynamite! Not that many female Jaguar gearheads! You remind me of another Forum member, also female and from Southern California with a 5.0L XKR, who had great technical knowledge and DIY expertise. We haven't heard from her in a long time and I'm not sure what happened, but I miss her posts. As I recall, her screen name was SoCal Babe. If by chance you know her, ask her to let us know whatever happened with her 1000HP engine build project.

Stuart

Old 02-14-2016, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 2,4,6,trinitro
jagtoes, loved ur post on the oil change. However, instead of using the oil filter housing to get a pressure reading, you can use one of the oil ports in the engine.

on the bottom and in the back of any 5.0 engine, on either side there is a drillable port that you can plug a transducer into.

The port can be tapped and then the transduced is screwed in. The transducer then sends oil pressure readings, by telemetry to a gauge in the car.

U can get the transducer and telemetry gauge from any aerospace supplier, that runs ads in aviation mags.

I'm a girl and had no problems doing it myself. Just didnt like crawling under the car.
Good info and can you take a picture some day of the location of this galley. I'm thinking the form members might be interested in both the location and the parts used to take the reading. Up until now the only way that I have heard of to take an OP reading was using the special Jaguar replacement oil filter cap with the port in the top. This is unique to the 5.0L engine as I can bet maybe there can be an adapter plate in between the 4.2L spin on filter and the block. Thanks for the info

Old 02-14-2016, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member

You got me looking and if they made a wireless gauge like this with water temp instead of oil I might buy one. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages...roopt200vk.php

Old 02-15-2016, 08:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=jagtoes;1402524]You got me looking and if they made a wireless gauge like this with water temp instead of oil I might buy one. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages...roopt200vk.php[/Q

Lockheed Martin makes what u are looking for.

jagtoes (02-15-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 11:38 AM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

The LM gauge is $952!!!! OUCH!!!! You have to really want to know what you oil pressure is for that kind of scratch.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:41 PM
GGG
Received 16,826 Likes on 12,179 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Now THAT'S dynamite! Not that many female Jaguar gearheads! You remind me of another Forum member, also female and from Southern California with a 5.0L XKR, who had great technical knowledge and DIY expertise. We haven't heard from her in a long time and I'm not sure what happened ......
What happened was SoCal Babe was given a permanent ban. In her new guise of 2,4,6,trinitro she has gone again. A ban is a ban - not an invitation to come back on the forum with another ID!

Graham

Old 02-16-2016, 07:26 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 928 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
What happened was SoCal Babe was given a permanent ban. In her new guise of 2,4,6,trinitro she has gone again. A ban is a ban - not an invitation to come back on the forum with another ID!

Graham

Old 02-16-2016, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,184 Likes on 3,401 Posts
Default Move This Post?

Originally Posted by GGG

Graham
Hi Graham,

I'm curious - can you provide details of what she did to cause the moderators to banish her forever from the Forum? I read the Forum rules again https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...gned-up-22253/ and didn't find anything that specifically addresses being banned for life.

I think a permanent ban on a Forum is a pretty severe punishment - it's like government censorship or, depending on where you live, being executed either overtly or covertly by that government who didn't like what you said or wrote.

Freedom of Speech is somewhat unique to the USA and highly cherished; it's the First Amendment to our Constitution and, unless you yell "Fire" in a crowded theater with the intent to cause a panic when, in fact, there is no fire, your truthful spoken or written word never causes physical harm and is, therefore, protected. So, what did she write that was so egregious to cause her to be permanently banned? If she hurt someone's feelings, I think an apology should suffice.

It appears that she rejoined the Forum because she missed participating in our lively and interesting discussions on a variety of topics. I feel bad that I was the one to expose her dual identity.

I don't know her personally, but recall that she had extraordinary knowledge and thought that she was definitely an asset to the Jaguar community. Specifically, see her posts in this thread. How many other Forum members would have pointed to the aircraft industry to source these gauge parts?

Is there a process for reinstatement? Do the Forum members have any say? "To err is human; to forgive, divine."

I didn't intend to hijack this thread about the oil pressure gauge. Accordingly, I recommend that you leave this post here, in this thread, and reply with a statement that further discussion has been moved to a new thread in the New Member area with the Forum rules, so that other Forum members can add their thoughts.

Thanks,

Stuart

P.S. Being banned prevents that person from posting replies and searching the Forum, but does not prevent them from reading threads on the Forum. Is it fair to prevent someone from posting replies in their own defense?

Last edited by Stuart S; 02-16-2016 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
The following 3 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Cee Jay (02-17-2016), DGL (02-16-2016), RedRider48 (02-16-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 05:50 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 928 Likes on 607 Posts

I have to agree with Stuart. SoCal Babe is blessed with fire and in my opinion actively contributed to this forum. Her posts where interesting, entertaining and knowledgeable. Her experience and enthusiasm in the automotive industry is an asset to any automotive forum. A life time ban in my opinion is too harsh and unwarranted for making some off the wall comments. I miss her colorful, entertaining and knowledgeable contributions. In my opinion, the X150 section on this forum needs someone with her skills, enthusiasm and fire to bring it to life.

Stuart S (02-17-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 01:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,489 Likes on 3,906 Posts

I'm curious, too. OTOH the site's not a democracy...