XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

How Do I remove these fake Wheel Bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 06:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

That wheel design and color is awesome. If I ever refinish my wheels, that is certainly a color I will consider. Thanks for sharing.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:01 AM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

I hardly ever see any finish I like better than the stock finish (I'm not really into the darker shades) on my 20" Kalimnos wheels, but this is it. If that finish can be duplicated like the picture it looks terrific, and it will be worth every dollar you are spending to get it. Would look great on my lunar gray XK.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:28 AM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
Hmmm, interesting. They are not powder coating, removing the tires or balancing and there is no damage to the wheels so it is a pretty straight forward process. I will remove the the decorative nuts my self so not much for him to do to prep. I was initially quoted $400 total then he tried to change it to $500 2 days later. I said no, $400 is what I am paying since that is what I was quoted and he said then he won't paint the barrels (the inside of the rim) and I told him I expect him to do it right, whatever it takes so we will see what happens.
I was quoted $400 by AWSR in St. Pete a couple of months ago but that was not with the barrels. Which AWSR are you using? Let us know how it comes out ?

Last edited by jleuz1; 06-27-2014 at 11:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jahummer (06-27-2014)
Old 06-27-2014, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 345 Likes on 239 Posts

I got the 20" black Kalimnos with the 12 points screws in them for affect. I emailed a guy and he said to call they could refurbish my wheels as I have 2 of 4 that need some work on them due to scuffs and dings. I am interested to see how everything turns out and the $$$. Mine are the Black Gloss.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,241 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by jleuz1
I was quoted $400 by AWSR in St. Pete a couple of months ago but that was not with the barrels. Which AWSR are you using? Let us know how it comes out ?
Same one. How much more for the barrels? Guess he just made a mistake. It is irritating when a price is quoted and then later goes up. I have had it happen to me a lot, especially after the make/model of the car is disclosed so I am a bit burnt out.

The following 2 users liked this post by jahummer:
jleuz1 (06-28-2014), Tiepolo (01-25-2024)
Old 06-28-2014, 07:33 AM

Same one. How much more for the barrels? Guess he just made a mistake. It is irritating when a price is quoted and then later goes up. I have had it happen to me a lot, especially after the make/model of the car is disclosed so I am a bit burnt out.
He didn't tell me how much he wanted to do the barrels but he wasn't going to remove the bolts. Instead he was going to tape them. There was curb rash on 3 of the wheels which he was going to remove. I am waiting for the 285/30/20 Michelin Super Sport tires to come off of back order and then expect to have it done when I am replacing the tires. I will then remove the bolts myself and get a price to have the them painted with the barrels.

Everyone at the dealership, both service and sales, highly recommend him.

I got a price from Glens Alloy Wheel in Tampa for $1000; however, they were going to blast the wheels down to bare metal,straighten if necessary, put 2 coats of paint and clear on, and repair curb rash. But they wanted the car for 3 to 4 days. I don't know of anyone who has had work done there so I will probably go with AWRS unless I get a F Type R first.

I understand your "burn out".

Last edited by jleuz1; 06-28-2014 at 07:37 AM.
jahummer (06-28-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member

Wheels are done. They look great but not sure if the end result is exactly what I wanted. He tried various shades until I found one I liked then he painted the entire wheel and brought it outside. It looked awesome! At some angles they were black/dark metal and from some angles they looked bright silver. I told him to go a couple of shades lighter so the clear coat would't darken it too much. Well after the clear they looked completely different. Darker and fewer highlight effects, also a bit warmer in tone for some reason.

Don't get me wrong they look great, unique and much better than the original bright silver and in full sun look like polished titanium but in the shade they look like dark gray to black and not as metallic. I think they will look a lot better once I replace the lip studs.

Here are some pics, they do not do it justice however.

Tell me what you think.

Attached Thumbnails How Do I remove these fake Wheel Bolts?-1.jpg   How Do I remove these fake Wheel Bolts?-2.jpg   How Do I remove these fake Wheel Bolts?-3.jpg   How Do I remove these fake Wheel Bolts?-4.jpg   How Do I remove these fake Wheel Bolts?-5.jpg  

How Do I remove these fake Wheel Bolts?-6.jpg   How Do I remove these fake Wheel Bolts?-7.jpg   How Do I remove these fake Wheel Bolts?-8.jpg  
Old 07-02-2014, 05:59 PM

Looks good and looks like he did a good job. Would like to see it with the bolts in. You might think of getting the window surrounds (they come out)and the side vents (hard to get off without breaking) painted the same color to match.

What was the process? Were the bolts easy to remove? How did he prep them? Did he have to remove the tires? Did he fix any curb rash? Did you have the barrels painted? How long did it take?

Old 07-03-2014, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jleuz1
Looks good and looks like he did a good job. Would like to see it with the bolts in. You might think of getting the window surrounds (they come out)and the side vents (hard to get off without breaking) painted the same color to match.

What was the process? Were the bolts easy to remove? How did he prep them? Did he have to remove the tires? Did he fix any curb rash? Did you have the barrels painted? How long did it take?
I'm not looking for that sort of contrast and I don't want the car to look too busy which in a way I feel like it is getting to be. It is personal taste but on this car & color I do not like the way blacked out hood vents, trunk finisher, side louvers, tail lights, etc. look. To me it is cheap and cheesy. My preference would be body color but then it would just look like an XK and not the R it is. I did black out the front grills to give it a less dated look and I am happy with that. I also modified the headlights but now with the darker wheels that do not match anything on the car it just doesn't look right to me but I never liked the chrome headlights either so…..

The bolts came off easily with my impact driver but 2-3 of them stripped coming out for some reason. Hopefully I can get them back in with no problems.

The process was simple, he deflated and broke the bead, not removing the tire and cleaned the wheels with a solvent (all materials including paint is AWRS branded and supplied, part of the franchise agreement) then sanded them down. Cardboard was then stuck between the tire and wheel. Single coat of color and single coat of clear. I think they need another coat of clear as the finish is not as consistent as a finished product should be. I did not paint the barrels and you can't tell anyway. The wheels were in new condition so no repairs needed (for the record I have NEVER had curb rash). It took about 6 hours, a small part of that was getting started with the sample colors, probably 30-45 minutes before I chose a color.

I am still not certain how I like it. They look great but still not what I wanted. I am not sure how they looked so perfect before they were clear coated and why the clear makes them look almost dark bronze. He only used 2 colors, hyper silver which looked like mercury & pure black.

Last edited by jahummer; 07-03-2014 at 09:30 AM.
jleuz1 (07-03-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

I replaced the studs but have 3 that have alloy material on them from when I removed them. I believe they are titanium. Need replacements or tap them to remove the alloy.

Anyhow, they don't make too much of a difference as they are pretty much the same color as the wheels now.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:41 AM
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

jahummer,

How was your experience with AWRS?

Thanks and best regards,

Old 03-08-2015, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Tom,

What do you need to have done?

Old 03-09-2015, 10:21 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 184 Likes on 126 Posts

Thanks for this thread. I'm about to do the same thing with my wheels. They have a few nicks and the inside of the drum has started to fade with the larger alcon brake package. I do like the color you've gone with, especially with the red center-caps.
Be careful threading the faux bolts back in, you may need to Heli-coil or use some thread locker to help.
Any one know the factory paint code for these rims?

Old 03-09-2015, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member

I am selling the Sentas, if anyone is interested I have them listed in the classified section.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/p...-color-136499/

Old 03-09-2015, 03:16 PM
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Hi Tom,

What do you need to have done?
Looking to have four wheels straightened and coated. Got a good price from AWRS last year but never pulled the trigger. Just curious as to your thoughts on them. Thanks.

Best,

Old 03-11-2015, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TFlan
Looking to have four wheels straightened and coated. Got a good price from AWRS last year but never pulled the trigger. Just curious as to your thoughts on them. Thanks.

Best,
Well, they are independently owned and operated so not sure if the level of quality & service will always be the same, but they are professional and I would recommend them.

TFlan (03-11-2015)
Old 01-25-2024, 05:57 PM
Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

Sorry to exhumed an old thread but looking for wheels colour (I just saw a wonderfull green comvertible XKRS with graphite wheels and it inspired me) I found your pictures @jahummer .
And I noticed those ugly orange reflector in the hedlights aren't there anymore...Have you replaced them with anything ? Was it easy to do ?
Thanks.

For reference, here is the marvelous XKR-S green convertible

Wheels are done. They look great but not sure if the end result is exactly what I wanted. He tried various shades until I found one I liked then he painted the entire wheel and brought it outside. It looked awesome! At some angles they were black/dark metal and from some angles they looked bright silver. I told him to go a couple of shades lighter so the clear coat would't darken it too much. Well after the clear they looked completely different. Darker and fewer highlight effects, also a bit warmer in tone for some reason.

Don't get me wrong they look great, unique and much better than the original bright silver and in full sun look like polished titanium but in the shade they look like dark gray to black and not as metallic. I think they will look a lot better once I replace the lip studs.

Here are some pics, they do not do it justice however.

Tell me what you think.