Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Just bought 2009 Jaguar XK XKR Portfolio Edition

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts
Default Just bought 2009 Jaguar XK XKR Portfolio Edition

New member to Forum and the Jaguar brand.......

Located in sunny New Mexico.

Hello Jag 2009 Portfolio Edition owner/drivers:

Recently purchased last week a 2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition.

From the owners of this car, what can I expect as far as performance and any mechanical problems that perhaps you have encountered?

Sure appreciate any input as this is the first Jaguar brand car I have ever owned. I am sure the learning curve will be steep.

Attached Thumbnails<a href="https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/attachments/xk-xkr-33/44042d1369667671-2009-xkr-portfolio-brakes-jaguar-xkr-portfolio-edition-4-jpg" target="_blank"> <a href="https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/attachments/xk-xkr-33/44043d1369667737-2009-xkr-portfolio-brakes-jaguar-xkr-portfolio-edition-2-jpg" target="_blank">

Old 05-28-2013, 02:24 PM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Richard,

I've moved your post from Southwest US Region section to XK/XKR section. Members here with the same model will be able to comment on performance and advise on possible mechanical problems.

Graham

Old 05-28-2013, 03:35 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats! I'm still basking in the afterglow of my recent purchase of a 2010 XK - the only input I've got so far is: it'll take a few weeks / months to get the smile off your face. It'll take longer before you stop turning around in parking lots to look at it as you walk away (I always think of Jack Johnson's "If I had eyes" at that point!) I've hauled out of the basement and/or purchased a ton of car care stuff and have washed it more times in 2.5 weeks than I did (by hand) my previous car (Infiniti G35 6MT - 2005) in the last 6 years.

Enjoy!

Old 05-28-2013, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Congratulations on your purchase!

Sounds like you may still have some dealer/Jag warranty left on the car. Since you are in New Mexico, you might want to invest in a sun shade to protect the dash leather. You get a great deal of sun there and protecting your dash leather from the UV rays and heat will ensure it does not shrink too much and pull away from your dash.

Gaudin Jaguar in Las Vegas sells them for $45 each. Here is their website:
Direct JPLV Porsche Parts.com

Old 05-28-2013, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by rscultho
Congratulations on your purchase!

Sounds like you may still have some dealer/Jag warranty left on the car. Since you are in New Mexico, you might want to invest in a sun shade to protect the dash leather. You get a great deal of sun there and protecting your dash leather from the UV rays and heat will ensure it does not shrink too much and pull away from your dash.

Gaudin Jaguar in Las Vegas sells them for $45 each. Here is their website:
Direct JPLV Porsche Parts.com
About sunshade, let me know if am a pain in the butt or, what about the rear window, as it s as large as the windshield. I am sure you can cool down the temp, twice more by protecting the rear window. That much, that it makes it ridiculous protecting only the front.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:20 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

In a coup, maybe. Don't know when in New Mexico you would ever have to put the top up, anyway. Richzak, congrats on your find! Keep the leather conditioned in a dry climate, but from what I've read most people with leather shrinkage had a year or two older model. Of course we don't worry about that in Seattle where it is never dry, or sunny.

Ps: love the color

Last edited by Muddydog; 05-28-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Sunshade is an absolute must on this car. Buy a good folding one and it fits fine in the back seat or boot.

The coupe does not get any sun into the cabin from the back. Boot cover is all that gets sun.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member

I agree, the sunshade is a must. Thanks for the input. Bought the car with only 13,501 original miles on it, so it's in mint condition, plus it's the Portfolio Edition. Only 200 produced for the USA.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Whatever you do, don't listen to all the 4.2 haters. They will have you believing that a 5.0 XK is cooler than a 4.2 XKR. FALSE!

Old 06-01-2013, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,145 Likes on 3,385 Posts

Richzak,

Congrats on your 2009 XKR Portfolio! I hope you will enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed mine.

For 2009 Jaguar manufactured only 200 Portfolio convertibles, so our cars are rare. See: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ertible-45154/

I couldn't tell for sure from your photo, but it appears that your car has red calipers. Does it have the optional Alcon brakes? If it does, you might find this thread to be of interest: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-brakes-67260/

You'll find lots of helpful and interesting information on this forum. Just a few things I've learned along the way...

Our cars are very sensitive to a low battery - that will cause all sorts of crazy stuff to happen. There's a lot on this forum about it. So, to minimize battery drain, always lock your car even when parked in your garage. This shuts down systems that are otherwise awake. Also, be sure to keep your smartkey at least 15 feet away from the car so it doesn't wake up your car. I keep my keys in a metal box to block the transmitter. I also keep my XKR plugged in to a battery maintainer since I don't drive it every day. See: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...battery-75784/ and https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lay-ups-73471/

I find that my XKR starts easier if I press the START button before I step on the brake. Most other manufacturers require you to step on the brake before pressing the START button. See: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...se-time-57460/

The exhaust note when accelerating is addictive. By removing fuse 19, your cat will growl!!! See: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...se-19-a-62736/ I prefer the sound with fuse 19 removed.

Since you'll be driving with the top down most of the time, you might want to get a wind deflector. See: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...flector-62273/

Search around and enjoy!

Stuart

The following users liked this post:
Everest29 (10-25-2013)
Old 06-02-2013, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

Suart:

Thanks so much for the input as well as the input from others.

I will use your suggestion about locking the car, and keeping the key fob a safe distance away.

I also thought about using a "battery tender" to keep the battery charged as I have read that Jag's have a problem with batteries being wore down.

The XKR Portfolio Editon is a beautiful car and I just acquired it last week. The car has 13,650 miles and still smells new on the inside. I just hand washed and hand waxed the car with Meguiars Tech Wax a spray on, wipe off polymer and the car looks awsome.

This PE does have the Alcon brakes with 6 piston calipers and crescent moon slotted rotors. It is one beautiful car. Previously the car was maintained by West Palm Beach Jaguar the largest Jag dealer in the country, so I don't suspect any issues in the near future. Thecar was transported from Florida to New Mexico.

I will most likely buy an extended warranty and was advised by a very reputable dealership to buy direct using the USAA Extended Warranty plan which has no deductible, no time delays or mileage delays (other warranties have 30 days or 1000 miles before the policy kicks in) and USAA offers 60 months/75,000 miles for $2425.00....exclusions are normal wear and tear items, otherwise everything else is covered.

I am sure that I will enjoy the XKR as it is a real sports car.

Another question, pulling fuse number 19, does that create any longer term problems?

Thanks for the advice, Stuart and everyone else.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
Suart:

Thanks so much for the input as well as the input from others.

I will use your suggestion about locking the car, and keeping the key fob a safe distance away.

I also thought about using a "battery tender" to keep the battery charged as I have read that Jag's have a problem with batteries being wore down.

The XKR Portfolio Editon is a beautiful car and I just acquired it last week. The car has 13,650 miles and still smells new on the inside. I just hand washed and hand waxed the car with Meguiars Tech Wax a spray on, wipe off polymer and the car looks awsome.

This PE does have the Alcon brakes with 6 piston calipers and crescent moon slotted rotors. It is one beautiful car. Previously the car was maintained by West Palm Beach Jaguar the largest Jag dealer in the country, so I don't suspect any issues in the near future. Thecar was transported from Florida to New Mexico.

I will most likely buy an extended warranty and was advised by a very reputable dealership to buy direct using the USAA Extended Warranty plan which has no deductible, no time delays or mileage delays (other warranties have 30 days or 1000 miles before the policy kicks in) and USAA offers 60 months/75,000 miles for $2425.00....exclusions are normal wear and tear items, otherwise everything else is covered.

I am sure that I will enjoy the XKR as it is a real sports car.

Another question, pulling fuse number 19, does that create any longer term problems?

Thanks for the advice, Stuart and everyone else.
Re fuse 19.
Two of us have noise from the exhaust valves, they are also supposed to keep water entering the pipes, its maybe a matter of years until you experience a problem with valves or other...I will not do it, those who did with a switch was a smarter move. Welcome.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:30 PM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

richzac and Stuart S,

I have the "other brother" edition of your car - - 2009 XJ Super V8 Portfolio.

It's also very rare as Jaguar only shipped 140 to the US market (less than 1 car per dealer).

Absolutely love the car, will never sell it, and keep it in a climate controlled garage. It's mint and only has 12,600 miles.

I am in the process of collecting original media and press kit literature when the XJ Portfolio and the XK Portfolio special editions were launched at the 2008 Geneva Motor Show. If you are interested, these can be found on ebay. The Press Kit consisted of a CD brochure that had the various special edition features of the models.

Last edited by BrownRobin; 06-02-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Robin...I just ordered the Press Release Kit.....will be nice to have for reference and future sale. I have the XKR Portfolio Edition with Charcol Interior and Cranberry Stitching with 13,600 miles. It is a beautiful car, and just getting to learn all the features of the car. I have never owned a car this nice.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member

Oil Changes 2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition 2Dr Convertible.......I spoke with my local Jaguar ( 60 miles away) service tech writer and was advised that my model has a drain plug and the oil is changed via the drain plug vs being sucked out of the engine.

Does anyone here attempt to change their own oil and filter on the 2009 XKR 2 dr Convertible?

Old 06-03-2013, 11:19 PM
Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, the 2009 has a oil pan drain plug and is a "normal" oil change.

richzak (06-08-2013)
Old 06-07-2013, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
Default Oil changes 2008-2009 XKR

I would like to know if anyone here does their own oil changes on their XKR 2008 or 2009? They have an oil drain plug, so no oil has to be sucked out of the engine.

Also, if you don't do your own oil changes, do you use the dealer or a local mechanic that is familiar with these models?

Does anyone use a national brand oil changing store like Quik Lube, Jiffy Lube etc for this basic service. ?

I am told the dealer will charge around $120.00 for the oil change.

Your thoughts on this topic is appreciated.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:28 AM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
I would like to know if anyone here does their own oil changes on their XKR 2008 or 2009? They have an oil drain plug, so no oil has to be sucked out of the engine.

Also, if you don't do your own oil changes, do you use the dealer or a local mechanic that is familiar with these models?

Does anyone use a national brand oil changing store like Quik Lube, Jiffy Lube etc for this basic service. ?

I am told the dealer will charge around $120.00 for the oil change.

Your thoughts on this topic is appreciated.
I would never use one of those quick lube/oil change types on a Jaguar. They did plenty of damage to some of my company cars (Fords and Chryslers) before I retired. It is more expensive at the Jaguar dealer because they have much more experienced technicians doing the work and consequently have to pay them more - they screw-up a lot less than teenagers at the cheaper places.

richzak (06-08-2013)