XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

NAV screen for gauges?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 08:20 AM
Received 442 Likes on 185 Posts
Default NAV screen for gauges?

Other than no LSD the second biggest annoyance in this car is the lack of engine gauges. A forced induction motor with no coolant readout? Really?

First things first. I've read the backup camera threads. Awesome!

Second. I could care less about having the OEM Nav system. It sucks. A $59 TomTom from Walmart is better.

Third. I've purchased an HKS Camp 2.

The HKS Camp 2 system plugs in to the OBDII port and can read and display engine info via a video out RCA plug to an OEM Nav screen. What I need to learn/know is how I can input this information to the Jags Nav screen. I don't care about completely disabling the DVD (LOL) Nav system. If I can select "NAV" and just have engine gauges that would be great. It seems most of the display systems, Navtool etc, are expensive because they allow the Nav system to still function. They allow you to switch between a video source and the nav. I could care less. Is there a schematic of the nav system somewhere?

I just want a video input.

Any ideas?

Old 01-07-2015, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by flyc2c
Other than no LSD the second biggest annoyance in this car is the lack of engine gauges. A forced induction motor with no coolant readout? Really?

Second. I could care less about having the OEM Nav system. It sucks. A $59 TomTom from Walmart is better.

The HKS Camp 2 system plugs in to the OBDII port and can read and display engine info via a video out RCA plug to an OEM Nav screen. What I need to learn/know is how I can input this information to the Jags Nav screen. I don't care about completely disabling the DVD (LOL) Nav system. If I can select "NAV" and just have engine gauges that would be great. It seems most of the display systems, Navtool etc, are expensive because they allow the Nav system to still function. They allow you to switch between a video source and the nav. I could care less. Is there a schematic of the nav system somewhere?

Any ideas?
I somewhat agree as I too am disappointed in the lack of both water temperature and oil pressure. There is a member on the form who has a lot of experience with the electrical systems of these cars so maybe he will chime in.I just use the Torque 2 app to do an occasional readout of the water temp but because Jaguar doesn't monitor the oil pressure I can't see that info. As for the nav system it's not the greatest but it suits my need and it would be great to have a "gauge" screen with the info we would like to see but I would not like the infotainment system rendered useless just to have a gauge pod. Hopefully there is a way to BT this info and modify the SW to give us this option . Time will tell.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I somewhat agree as I too am disappointed in the lack of both water temperature and oil pressure. There is a member on the form who has a lot of experience with the electrical systems of these cars so maybe he will chime in.I just use the Torque 2 app to do an occasional readout of the water temp but because Jaguar doesn't monitor the oil pressure I can't see that info. As for the nav system it's not the greatest but it suits my need and it would be great to have a "gauge" screen with the info we would like to see but I would not like the infotainment system rendered useless just to have a gauge pod. Hopefully there is a way to BT this info and modify the SW to give us this option . Time will tell.
I have the Torq2 app as well. Sad you have to use it on a $90k+ car. Of course I still need the infotainment system to work I just don't need the awful Nav.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

The HKS Camp 2 system plugs in to the OBDII port and can read and display engine info via a video out RCA plug to an OEM Nav screen. What I need to learn/know is how I can input this information to the Jag's Nav screen. I don't care about completely disabling the DVD (LOL) Nav system. If I can select "NAV" and just have engine gauges that would be great. It seems most of the display systems, Navtool etc, are expensive because they allow the Nav system to still function. They allow you to switch between a video source and the nav. I could care less. Is there a schematic of the nav system somewhere?

Any ideas?
First congratulations on acquiring a an HKS Camp II...they are exceeding hard to find now. Fortunately accessories are still available if you want to add non-OBDII functions. You can see my HKS setup on the older XKR here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...traffic-49241/

Unfortunately on the '07 to '11 XK/XKR models there is only one external path into the video screen. This is a digital video interface standard called 'GVIF'. This is the path that the external nav. unit uses, so it must be shared with the nav. (but you can disconnect it if you really do not want navigation). In any event you need a composite video (the output of the HKS CAMP2) to GVIF converter. This is what the Jaguar XK NavTool or Car Solutions Jaguar XK GVIF converter is. I have purchased the Car Solutions unit recently from Hong Kong off of ebay Car Gvif Video Interface Adapter for Lexus Toyota Land Rover Nissan Jaguar | eBay and it arrived in less than a week and worked as expected.

To use it you will need to select navigation on the touch screen to enable the GVIF input. This is a particular annoyance with a backup camera, and I am in the midst of a project to eliminate this problem.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 01-07-2015 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
First congratulations on acquiring a an HKS Camp II...they are exceeding hard to find now. Fortunately accessories are still available if you want to add non-OBDII functions. You can see my HKS setup on the older XK8 here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...traffic-49241/

Unfortunately on the '07 to '11 XK/XKR models there is only one external path into the video screen. This is a digital video interface standard called 'GVIF'. This is the path that the external nav. unit uses, so it must be shared with the nav. (but you can disconnect it if you really do not want navigation). In any event you need a composite video (the output of the HKS CAMP2) to GVIF converter. This is what the Jaguar XK NavTool or Car Solutions Jaguar XK GVIF converter is. I have purchased the Car Solutions unit recently from Hong Kong off of ebay Car Gvif Video Interface Adapter for Lexus Toyota Land Rover Nissan Jaguar | eBay and it arrived in less than a week and worked as expected.

To use it you will need to select navigation on the touch screen to enable the GVIF input. This is a particular annoyance with a backup camera, and I am in the midst of a project to eliminate this problem.
Awesome! I love this forum!

Old 01-07-2015, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

As the owner of 1972 Pantera, I almost never take my eyes off of the temperature and oil pressure gauges when driving it. (I'm sure Jagtoes used to have the same experience) To do so would have resulted in me destroying the engine on many occasions. It drives me nuts that on a $100,000+ high performance car like my XKR, not only can I not know anything about what's happening in the engine, but I can't even check the flippin' oil level without turning off the car and waiting for the better part of half an hour (good luck trying to get a reading after the suggested 5 minute wait). And going to the track a couple of times per year makes me even more uncomfortable with no information.

When did gauges become a dirty word? As soon as someone figures out how to successfully do this modification, I'm in!

Old 01-07-2015, 09:52 AM

I've ordered the GVIF unit off ebay thanks to whiteXKR. It's going to be $750 total to put these gauges in but the cost of the gauges separately (with no real place to put them) would be about the same. Time to start saving for the Quaife.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

I've ordered the GVIF unit off ebay thanks to whiteXKR. It's going to be $750 total to put these gauges in but the cost of the gauges separately (with no real place to put them) would be about the same. Time to start saving for the Quaife.
The manual (ver 7.2) needs to be downloaded from the Car-Solutions website. The documentation is horrible, so if anything is not clear or you have problems, just ask me.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
As the owner of 1972 Pantera, I almost never take my eyes off of the temperature and oil pressure gauges when driving it. (I'm sure Jagtoes used to have the same experience) To do so would have resulted in me destroying the engine on many occasions. It drives me nuts that on a $100,000+ high performance car like my XKR, not only can I not know anything about what's happening in the engine, but I can't even check the flippin' oil level without turning off the car and waiting for the better part of half an hour (good luck trying to get a reading after the suggested 5 minute wait). And going to the track a couple of times per year makes me even more uncomfortable with no information.

When did gauges become a dirty word? As soon as someone figures out how to successfully do this modification, I'm in!
I'm with you here as I always had one eye on the oil pressure and oil temperature as well as the water temperature on my old Ferrari. Even with the Torque Pro you still can't get any oil info neither pressure or temperature. So even with your proposed method unless you can find sensors that will or can be installed in the engine the best you can get would be water temperature. Even the F-type has WT and OP instrumentation. Don't know why they didn't put it in the XK. I had it in my E-Type , XJ-6 , XJS and X-Type. Oh well , good luck

Old 01-07-2015, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

I've always thought of Jaguar as an enthusiast's car, most particularly the XK and now the XF. Certainly the add campaigns promote them as such. So why no gauges?

Go figure.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

If the model has other sensors then Torque Pro can support them but you'll need to figure out the formula etc. By way of example my STR has such as TOT (see my .sig) but the car hasn't got a sensor for oil pressure which makes it tough to display on a gauge!

Jaguars are mainly not bought by people who want gauges - heck they don't even check oil or change it. But people who want gauges are quite likely to join forums

Last edited by JagV8; 01-08-2015 at 02:03 AM.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:28 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
If the model has other sensors then Torque Pro can support them but you'll need to figure out the formula etc. By way of example my STR has such as TOT (see my .sig) but the car hasn't got a sensor for oil pressure which makes it tough to display on a gauge!

Jaguars are mainly not bought by people who want gauges - heck they don't even check oil or change it. But people who want gauges are quite likely to join forums

Jaguars are purchased by both the car enthusiast and the buyer looking for a refined ride. The XKR, being Jaguars sport GT and highest HP/Torque production performance car, appeals especially to the sport car enthusiast before the F-type arrived. It would be nice to have a separate engine monitoring screen and I will buy into a clean seamless aftermarket product.

Who's going to be watching these screens when the autonomous cars arrive? Is Jaguar ahead of its time? LOL.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:15 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Count me in for a touch screen gauge readout for a late model XKR. As an aviator years ago I couldn't have enough instruments and gauges giving me information.

I look forward to a solution for those of us who want to know!

Old 01-22-2015, 06:42 AM
Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

I'm certainly interested. I know why (i think cost, simplicity) why things are going this was but no oil pressure gauge, no dipstick, I want them !! I don't entirely trust computers.
But Porsche, BMW etc are all going dipstick less
I guess I'm getting old

Old 01-23-2015, 02:45 PM

Ok so I purchased this...

GVIF Interface for Lexus/Toyota/Land Rover/Nissan/Jaguar - GsmServer

Has anyone hooked this up?

Also, If anyone has the wiring/pin info for the OBD2 port that would be awesome! (specifically pin 8)

Thanks!

Last edited by flyc2c; 01-23-2015 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member

Ok so I purchased this...

GVIF Interface for Lexus/Toyota/Land Rover/Nissan/Jaguar - GsmServer

Has anyone hooked this up?

Also, If anyone has the wiring/pin info for the OBD2 port that would be awesome! (specifically pin 8)

Thanks!
Yes, I have hooked it up. The instructions are very poor.

Here is what you do:

-Set up the DIP switches. Assuming you just have one video channel (A/V 1) for now, set them up as follows: 1-ON, 2-OFF, 3-ON, 4-ON, 5-OFF, 6-ON, 7-OFF, 8-OFF.

-Inspect the GVIF Cable (Two blue connectors and a six position white connector). If it was like mine the order of the wires at the white connector is 1-Brown, 2-Purple, 3-Black, 4-Brown, 5-Purple, 6-Black. If this is the case you need to swap positions of wires 1 & 2 (brown and purple). Then swap positions of wires 4 and 5 (brown and purple). You can do this by SLIGHTLY and GENTLY lifting the white connector retaining tabs with a jewelers screwdriver for the terminals one at a time and retracting the terminals from behind, then re-inserting them.

-Now plug into the main unit the POWER wiring harness, the GVIF wiiring harness, the A/V wiring harness, the pushbutton switch wiring harness and the IR sensor wiring harness. These are the only ones you need.

-With the car off, unplug the GVIF connector from the car's navigation unit to the right of the battery in the XK. Then plug the two Blue GVIF connectors between the car's GVIF harness and the navigation unit.

-With the car off, connect vehicle battery to the Black and Red GND and ACC wires.

-Connect your video source to the Yellow AV1 video input connector.

-Power up the car. When Navigation is selected on the touch screen, the pushbutton should then cycle between Navigation and the video input.

-You can fine tune the picture using the menus and the remote as described in the manual.

Regarding Pin 8 of the OBDII connector on the XK, there is a non-standard signal on that, so any wire from the HKS on pin 8 should be removed.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 01-24-2015 at 11:53 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
flyc2c (02-03-2015), kj07xk (08-17-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 10:52 PM
Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

At least F-type owners can see the temp.

Wonder if they could update the XKs software and add this. I'm sure the sensors are in place why not offer a software upgrade.

That's one thing I would actually buy.

Even though I wouldn't mind oil pressure too.

Attached Thumbnails NAV screen for gauges?-ft_013_003_mb_jna_cockpit_st2_3-device_desktop-1366x769_opt_tcm97-27376_desktop_1366x769.jpg  
Old 01-24-2015, 04:35 PM

WhiteXKR is my hero. Hope to do this in the next few weeks. Off on a little vacation next week. w00t!

Old 01-24-2015, 06:26 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Gauges became semi-obsolete for two reasons:
#1 - damn near nobody looked at them for anything other than curiosity-sakes. Honestly how many people are there to monitor Voltage, oil pressure, fuel pressure, engine heat, etc unless you had advanced knowledge that there may in fact be an issue? By far and away by the tie you happened to notice that a needle was in the red the damage was already done. Idiot lights proved FAR better because in reality you only needed know if there was a problem not some incremental advance. I had a number of older cars and had to play "flight engineer and pilot" all the time so I remember those days vividly... glad they're gone

#2 - Today's cars simply don't need the gauges. The build quality is so far superior to yesterday's cars it's an obsolete mentality. With all the advanced electronics/computers there's a comfort in knowing that they are watched several hundred times a second versus the once-in-a-while glance we gave them. This concept is just like traction control, engine monitoring throttle control, etc. The vast majority of people realize that the computers are far better at monitoring our systems that we could ever be.

If when we want gauges we can buy them via OBDII but other than monitoring battery voltage (battery issues) or engine temp (for faulty water pumps) they'll prove more distracting and unnecessary. This is like the argument for manual trans, very few would opt for it, sounds great on paper, but in the real world it just doesn't appeal to the masses as a needed thing.

This information is worth exactly what you paid for it...

The following 3 users liked this post by Leeper:
ralphwg (01-24-2015), sharx8 (02-03-2015), tommyd (01-27-2015)
Old 01-24-2015, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Leeper,
I, respectfully, disagree. I have always monitored temperature and oil pressure gauges, and most probably because I've had older cars where it was imperative to do so. I don't drive ten feet on the street with my Pantera without checking the temperature gauge, and I've saved the engine overheating on several occasions by that monitoring. And while it's true that newer cars are so much better that gauges are almost an afterthought, my 2010 XKR has a "new" engine in it because the previous owner was driving around with no oil in his engine, and there were no warning lights, idiot or otherwise to save him. And is a dipstick too much to ask for? According to the owner's manual, I should be able to check the oil level 5 minutes after stopping the car (as if I want to sit in the car and wait). However, in reality, I have not been able to get a reading without waiting at least 20 minutes. What a pain in the ***!

Finally, I go to the track two or three times a year, and I really want to have an idea of what's happening before it's too late.

Quick Reply: NAV screen for gauges?