XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Need help on installation of sunroof in 2008 xkr coupe

Old 11-24-2012, 01:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on installation of sunroof in 2008 xkr coupe

I recently purchased a 2008 XKR coupe. I was very torn between a convertable or coupe, and decided to go with coupe because if its lines and the additional room. I have had since new a 1999 XJ8L with a sunroof and I love the car and this feature.

I assumed it would be a simple matter to have an aftermarket sunroof installed in the XKR but can not find any eveidence on the web that it has ever been done! I am an active member in our local Jag club and a JCNA member and no one seemes to have any ideas about this.

I want a high quality installation, that conforms to the quality of the vehicle. About the only thing I know to do is to contact webasto to see if they would design on for me.

In searching this forum, I found two other posts asking for the same information, but they got no replies.

Is there a strcutrual member that would have to be cut or compromised and if so is there a fix?

Thank you in advance for your replies

Old 11-24-2012, 08:55 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I can't help but think this would trash the resale value of the car?
I wouldn't go near one that had a sunroof fitted?

Old 11-25-2012, 02:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

I would actually like a sunroof as well but probably wouldn't get an aftermarket one fitted.

Do the attached pics help you?

Attached Thumbnails Need help on installation of sunroof in 2008 xkr coupe-x150roof.jpg   Need help on installation of sunroof in 2008 xkr coupe-x150roof2.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by u102768:
plums (11-25-2012), William1951 (11-25-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnnnnnyy
I can't help but think this would trash the resale value of the car?
I wouldn't go near one that had a sunroof fitted?
Same here. Sunroof would just kill the car IMO.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by u102768
I would actually like a sunroof as well but probably wouldn't get an aftermarket one fitted.

Yes that is a big help, thank you very much...

Resale value is always an important concern, however, I tend to keep my vehicles for at least 10 + years. of course, I can not forsee the future, but at 61, this XKR is Jag I intend to keep to the end...

Old 11-25-2012, 11:05 AM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

I think you can do this, but you will be the pioneer. Keep in mind that this roof panel is aluminum, which immeasurably complicates the project. Just finding a body man who can really work with custom aluminum is a challenge.
There is a spectrum of "sunroofs" out there; and your application is limited by lack of "slide-back room."
Suggest you look at what manufacturers have done to comparatively "narrow" aluminum roofs. Perhaps Porsche or other German autos. Should you find a workable example, consider grafting. Of course, you will have to find a salvage wreck, which is another quest.
There are aftermarket sunroof manufacturers out there. The market is small; and I am sure you will find a great deal of quality variance. But be forewarned as most applications contemplate a steel roof.
Try to find someone with an XK8 who has done this. The XK8 had a steel roof, but has some of the same issues.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:10 PM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Back window

Originally Posted by u102768

Great examples...

Looking at the window frames in pic 2 makes me wish they had installed operable back windows on the coupes too.

As far as the sunroof goes another cool option since there is no slide into space would be a targa type top but maintain the over the window side beams.

The following users liked this post:
William1951 (11-26-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rey
I think you can do this, but you will be the pioneer. Keep in mind that this roof panel is aluminum, which immeasurably complicates the project. Just finding a body man who can really work with custom aluminum is a challenge.
There is a spectrum of "sunroofs" out there; and your application is limited by lack of "slide-back room."
Suggest you look at what manufacturers have done to comparatively "narrow" aluminum roofs. Perhaps Porsche or other German autos. Should you find a workable example, consider grafting. Of course, you will have to find a salvage wreck, which is another quest.
There are aftermarket sunroof manufacturers out there. The market is small; and I am sure you will find a great deal of quality variance. But be forewarned as most applications contemplate a steel roof.
Try to find someone with an XK8 who has done this. The XK8 had a steel roof, but has some of the same issues.
Thank You. yes you must be right about being a pioneer..I have been searching for someone who has done this on a 2007 or new xk coupe for about a month and I have found nothing....no one....I have run accross at least 5 owners that want to do this...so I think there is a market out there for a creative person

Love this vehicle, so I will move cautiously...

Old 11-25-2012, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mike V
Great examples...

Looking at the window frames in pic 2 makes me wish they had installed operable back windows on the coupes too.

As far as the sunroof goes another cool option since there is no slide into space would be a targa type top but maintain the over the window side beams.
Yes. long ago I owned a 1974 corvette coupe with a factory T-top, I liked that a lot, but you did have to stop and take the panels out and put them in the back... not so bad when I was in my flexible 20s... not workable here because of the supports running over each side window...I might not mind a removable tinted glass pannel that took up most of the roof, leaving the supports in tact....so even when it was in.. you would have plenty of light.... have to think about that...

Old 11-25-2012, 09:53 PM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

Check out Webasto sunroofs. There is a dealer in Seattle who installs these sunroofs. Webasto Sunroofs

Google Webasto sunroofs.

The following users liked this post:
William1951 (11-26-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 02:51 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

My helpful advice on this subject is don't do it.

I've NEVER understood the fascination with sunroofs as for me the glass ones just put distracting light into the car and all of them are noisy when open. Then there are the issues of reduced headroom with factory pieces and the worry that they will never seal properly with the aftermarket types.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:51 PM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

A rough rule of thumb for Al. cutouts is to add twice the material removed around the edge, ie a frame..............

No charge!
Retired Boeing Engineer, Adrian

Old 12-02-2012, 11:56 AM

Thank you all, I have identfied an authorized Webasto dealer/Installer who has worked a lot on aluminium bodies vehicles. Webasto offers 2 models that will work well. I am looking at the model where the glass panel slides back on the outside, this allows a larger opening and brings the loss of headroom to a minimum. When closed the panel which is tinted dark will alow a lot a light into the cabin and blends well with th exterior color. Cost installed will be about $2,400 USD. I am not wildly entusiastic about it sliding back on the outside, that is a compromise on my part.