XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Oil changing in 5.0, anything special here??

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 07:09 PM
Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Oil changing in 5.0, anything special here??

I need to get oil changed in 2010 xk with 5.0 engine. I heard somewhere where there is some kind of pump with these engines that runs and pumps out the oil instead of just gravity draining it like most engines. Mentioned it to my INDY and he never heard of it, said he would investigate prior to scheduling oil change. Is there such a thing or did I just dream this and changing the oil is no different than any other motor? thanks folks for all of your knowledge.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:25 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts
Old 05-06-2014, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by bobdr1
I need to get oil changed in 2010 xk with 5.0 engine. I heard somewhere where there is some kind of pump with these engines that runs and pumps out the oil instead of just gravity draining it like most engines. Mentioned it to my INDY and he never heard of it, said he would investigate prior to scheduling oil change. Is there such a thing or did I just dream this and changing the oil is no different than any other motor? thanks folks for all of your knowledge.

I just had my 2010 XK done a few weeks ago. I let the dealer do it because I didn't want them to have any loopholes in case of any claims on future warranty work. It was expensive ($150), but they use their Castrol Professional Edge Synthetic and the oil cartridge is pricey if using the OEM part. If your car doesn't have any warranty left, you can save almost half by going to an independent. Not sure about the procedure, but I'm sure there must be a drain plug. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
bobdr1 (05-06-2014)
Old 05-06-2014, 08:01 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

I was going to do my own on my sold 2011 XKR 175. My dealer sold me the oil for cost and said they drain it from the oil pan. They also said the manufacture made them buy an expensive evacuator to suck the oil up from the top but they never use it. You can buy a home use one for abut $80 on amazon.com. If your going to do it yourself maybe your dealer will sell you the oil. I sold my 2011 XKR 175 before I had the chance to do it and bought my current 2013 XKR. My first oil change was included in the warranty on my 2013 and I might do the second one myself, that is if I don't sell my current XKR. I seem to get tried of cars very quickly and need a change.

The following 2 users liked this post by DGL:
bobdr1 (05-06-2014), Norri (05-07-2014)
Old 05-07-2014, 09:29 AM
Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Here is the thread I made a while back that details my experience with this subject: DIY oil change

Apparently there is in fact a drain plug under the car, I wouldn't know for sure because I've still never been under there. Personally, I take my car in once a year for an oil change, but I use the evacuator method halfway through the year to keep things fresh. There may be benefits to using the drain plug (maybe it gets deposits out of the pan better, etc.) but the evacuator way is very simple.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

There is a drain plug. An extractor makes the change much easier.

The oil change for the 5 Liters allows for an extractor to be used in sucking/pulling the oil from the top of the engine. Also, the oil filter is easily accessed fro the top of the engine, which eliminates the need for putting the car on a lift or removing any of the splash guards under the car. Also, when the oil is extracted, it goes into a container that allows them to measure use over time which may indicate other issues with the engine.

If your car is under warranty, I *highly* recommend either letting the dealer do your oil change, and/or using *their* oil that DGL mentioned above. This will protect you from any claims that you did not maintain the car properly as per warranty requirements.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rscultho
There is a drain plug. An extractor makes the change much easier.

The oil change for the 5 Liters allows for an extractor to be used in sucking/pulling the oil from the top of the engine. Also, the oil filter is easily accessed fro the top of the engine, which eliminates the need for putting the car on a lift or removing any of the splash guards under the car. Also, when the oil is extracted, it goes into a container that allows them to measure use over time which may indicate other issues with the engine.

If your car is under warranty, I *highly* recommend either letting the dealer do your oil change, and/or using *their* oil that DGL mentioned above. This will protect you from any claims that you did not maintain the car properly as per warranty requirements.

The warranty concern will more than likely bring me back to the dealer once a year regardless of how few miles I put on the car. I also had the dealer flush my brake fluid as it was a recommended item every 2 years.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
The warranty concern will more than likely bring me back to the dealer once a year regardless of how few miles I put on the car. I also had the dealer flush my brake fluid as it was a recommended item every 2 years.
What was the outcome of the rubber moulding around the trunk lid?

Old 05-07-2014, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
What was the outcome of the rubber moulding around the trunk lid?

Haven't gotten around to it yet. I have 13 days left on the factory warranty so I am down to the wire. It's not a big deal, but I may drive by tomorrow to see what they will say. I'm sure they will have to order the part anyway. My concern these days is that everytime I bring the car in for any kind of service, there is always a chance for them to damage something, making me rethink how important some of these things really are. I'll keep you posted.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rscultho
There is a drain plug. An extractor makes the change much easier. Also, the oil filter is easily accessed fro the top of the engine, which eliminates the need for putting the car on a lift or removing any of the splash guards under the car.
1) Has anybody purchased on of these OIL EXTRACTOR devices...and which one might be THE BEST?

2) Is there a diagram that shows where the oil filter is located from the top of the car, and the best way to remove the filter.

I would like to learn to complete my own oil changes using the extractor method and removing the oil filter from above.

The Castrol 5 w 20 synthetic blend is easily accessible as well as K&N oil Filters for the Jaguar XKR.

My car is out of warranty so I have no conflicts with any warranty or dealer.

Any input would help me and I am sure others that might want to take this approach.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

1) Has anybody purchased on of these OIL EXTRACTOR devices...and which one might be THE BEST?

2) Is there a diagram that shows where the oil filter is located from the top of the car, and the best way to remove the filter.

I would like to learn to complete my own oil changes using the extractor method and removing the oil filter from above.

The Castrol 5 w 20 synthetic blend is easily accessible as well as K&N oil Filters for the Jaguar XKR.

My car is out of warranty so I have no conflicts with any warranty or dealer.

Any input would help me and I am sure others that might want to take this approach.

The oil filter is above the left bank looking at the car. This may help....

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...estions-38867/

Old 05-07-2014, 02:04 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

"If your car is under warranty, I *highly* recommend either letting the dealer do your oil change, and/or using *their* oil that DGL mentioned above. This will protect you from any claims that you did not maintain the car properly as per warranty requirements."

That is an inaccurate statement as manufacturers cannot and will not deny warranty claims if you opt not to have your oil changed by them. they MAY insinuate that in order to charge the exhorabenate rates they charge. All that is needed is your receipts/documentation of when it was done and ALL warranty claims are intact. I have never and will never have a dealership change my oil

The following users liked this post:
bobdr1 (05-07-2014)
Old 05-07-2014, 04:35 PM
Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

I discussed oil change with dealer and if I could buy oil from them. response was that they only have it in 55 gal drums. He later contacted me and told me that the oil is castrol edge synthetic that they use and recommend and can be bought anywhere. have checked it out and 5qts is $25 at walmart. Even the dealer told me it can be changed locally with no problems.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I switched to a vacuum suction system a few years back when my kid bought an Audi A4. It was a PITA to remove the plastic under shield and they changed the filter location to the top of the engine. This made the job simple. I got it on Ebay and it was the same as the one being sold in the Griot's garage catalog. It holds around 9 quarts . It's simple to use and I did a test where I vacuumed out the oil and then removed the drain plug. I goy maybe a tablespoon of oil out so all was good. It wasn't expensive either. I use it on all of my cars/trucks now.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I switched to a vacuum suction system a few years back when my kid bought an Audi A4. It was a PITA to remove the plastic under shield and they changed the filter location to the top of the engine. This made the job simple. I got it on Ebay and it was the same as the one being sold in the Griot's garage catalog. It holds around 9 quarts . It's simple to use and I did a test where I vacuumed out the oil and then removed the drain plug. I goy maybe a tablespoon of oil out so all was good. It wasn't expensive either. I use it on all of my cars/trucks now.
Do you have a brand name and model number of the vacuum suction system.

Are they still available on ebay?

Old 05-07-2014, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member

Do you have a brand name and model number of the vacuum suction system.

Are they still available on ebay?
I got one like this but from a different company. 6 5 Liter Oil Changer Vacuum Fluid Extractor Pump Tank | eBay

Old 05-08-2014, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I got one like this but from a different company. 6 5 Liter Oil Changer Vacuum Fluid Extractor Pump Tank | eBay
Jagtoes:

Will you use this extractor on your new 2012 Jag XKR? or have the oil changed professionally?

Old 05-08-2014, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member

Jagtoes:

Will you use this extractor on your new 2012 Jag XKR? or have the oil changed professionally?
I suspect both. I have yet to check what the recommended oil change interval is but I prefer to do it every 5000 miles. At present I have 6800 miles on the car so I will wait until 10,000 miles and have the dealer change. I also need to find a dealer for any warranty work. The closest dealer from where I live is either 75 miles north or 75 miles south so regardless of which one I select it is an hour and a half ride.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeper
"If your car is under warranty, I *highly* recommend either letting the dealer do your oil change, and/or using *their* oil that DGL mentioned above. This will protect you from any claims that you did not maintain the car properly as per warranty requirements."

That is an inaccurate statement as manufacturers cannot and will not deny warranty claims if you opt not to have your oil changed by them. they MAY insinuate that in order to charge the exhorabenate rates they charge. All that is needed is your receipts/documentation of when it was done and ALL warranty claims are intact. I have never and will never have a dealership change my oil
It is *NOT* an inaccurate statement. It happened to me with a 1998 XJL.

You can certainly make the statement that they should not deny claims based on a properly maintained car and which you can prove the proper maintenance.

But to state unequivocally that my statement is inaccurate is short sighted.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:22 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Sorry once again, changing your own oil does not void the warranty -
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...6051955AAs0BmA
Here it is, it is a Federal law - https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ne-maintenance

It's been the case for many years now with ALL auto manufacturers.

Here's more facts to back my original statement:
http://www.cartalk.com/content/chang...under-warranty

Last edited by Leeper; 05-08-2014 at 02:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil changing in 5.0, anything special here??