XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Quality of Jaguar Wheel Centres

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 04:49 AM
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Quality of Jaguar Wheel Centres

I'm looking to replace my original factory fitted wheel centres with some new ones. My centres are black and show the Jaguar logo above a jaguar head.

I would like to get the same centres, but in red.

There are a lot of these advertised on eBay, some very cheap and described as "stickers", so I assume these stick on top of the existing badge, but others are described as original OEM and are priced from around £24 for 4.

I've also seen them advertised by Adamesh on their website, for £30, but this increases to £35.50 when you add postage. I was all set to purchase a set from Adamesh, thinking I could be sure of the quality, but then they went and added the £5.50, which is taking the p*ss. I know it's not much, but these things will fit into an envelope and I already decided £30 was more than enough!

So, what's the difference between the Adamesh centres and these on eBay:

Adamesh

eBay

Anyone bought any wheel centres from eBay? Are they okay?

How do they compare to those purchased from Jaguar, which seem to be extortionately priced?

I don't mind paying extra for an item if it is better quality.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:00 AM
Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

In fairness to the cost of postage if these items are not packed correctly they are likely to break

Old 03-08-2017, 06:22 AM

I agree, they have to be packaged okay, but so do those badges sold on eBay.

There may be a material difference between the badges sold by Adamesh, eBay and Jaguar, but I'd like to know what it is before spending £77 for a genuine Jaguar part or £35 for an Adamesh part both of which may be exactly the same as the £24.99 eBay part!

Looking at the wheel centre badges on my 2007 XKR, they are just plastic with a design on them, so nothing special!

Old 03-08-2017, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Based on past experience, I would "not" buy the stickers. Since the center caps are somewhat curved, the stickers do not fit flush against the center cap. They end up having a small crease to the sticker when applied, as they are made for flat surfaces.

Ebay is the best source. Many wheel center caps are plastic that has a Jaguar logo or emblem. When inserted into the wheel center, you can not tell if they are metal or plastic. Plastic caps are usually low priced and easy to source, and it necessary they can be replaced a cheap, low price.

I purchased stickers from overseas and they were a waste of money and time. They didn't fit properly.

Richard in New Mexico

Old 03-08-2017, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,887 Likes on 1,281 Posts

I bought a set like that off ebay. The quality is fine and they were packed in individual plastic bags to prevent scratching each other, and also bubble wrap to keep them safe.
Haven't used them, as I found a different style (probably older) that matches my paint color better (radiance red).

Old 03-08-2017, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I had purchased a set of red caps from ebay to replace my black ones. They were cheaply made and although they snapped in they were a little loose. I also noted after a year the red started to dull out until finally I just took them off and put the black ones back on. I did look at the OEM red ones when I was at the dealers and you could see they were a better quality product. So either buy a new set every few years or buy the OEM's . Just my feedback.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I had purchased a set of red caps from ebay to replace my black ones. They were cheaply made and although they snapped in they were a little loose. I also noted after a year the red started to dull out until finally I just took them off and put the black ones back on. I did look at the OEM red ones when I was at the dealers and you could see they were a better quality product. So either buy a new set every few years or buy the OEM's . Just my feedback.
I too purchased the red ones from eBay about 6 months ago for ~$25. Yes they are plastic and they seemed decent and fit well. HOWEVER, I just noticed last weekend that the red part is starting to bubble up behind the clear plastic. Doesn't look too bad yet but it's only going to get worse. I wouldn't mind if hey lasted 3 years but 6 months is too short.

I replaced black ones that had the same problem. I don't know if they were original OEM but they were also plastic and seemed the same quality as these.

Are the OEM caps metal?

Old 03-08-2017, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

OEM's are plastic too. Just a better quality and fit. My 2012 ones still look like new

The following users liked this post:
shemp (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
I bought a set like that off ebay. The quality is fine and they were packed in individual plastic bags to prevent scratching each other, and also bubble wrap to keep them safe.
Haven't used them, as I found a different style (probably older) that matches my paint color better (radiance red).
KJ care to pass them on for a fee? Are they red or Black

Old 03-08-2017, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I had exactly the same experience with a set of red caps from EBay; they looked fine and fit well but within a year the red colour was almost entirely gone (I was using these on an X-Type with red brake calipers). I too replaced them with the original OEM black/silver caps that came with the car - much, much better quality.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean W
KJ care to pass them on for a fee? Are they red or Black
They're red, but I'm hanging on to them to use with my Carelia wheels (the other new ones went on the Sentas now on the car), when I put the Carelia's back on to use up the almost new tires on them (for some long road trips).

Sean W (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 01:53 PM

Thanks for the feedback regarding the eBay versions of the wheel caps. It sounds like they are definitely not the same quality as the Jaguar caps, but you would expect that at nearly 3 times the price.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member

Anyone have a preferred vendor of these on eBay as in, you bought them and they fit and you're happy to recommend?

Old 03-08-2017, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
Anyone have a preferred vendor of these on eBay as in, you bought them and they fit and you're happy to recommend?
I bought from this vendor:
JAGUAR 4pcs. NEW X TYPE S TYPE XK8 XKR XJ8 WHEEL CENTER CAP RED LETTERS | eBay

I don't recommend them as mine are showing deterioration within 6 months (and I use Sonax wheel cleaner which is supposed to be one of the safer cleaners)....

I looked mine up and I paid $15.99, not $25 like mentioned above.

I would suspect all of the items found on ebay around this price are all from the same manufacturer though. So buyer beware. Maybe I just got a bad batch...

Sean W (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member

I bought from seller "oldfai831" 2 years ago. Just checked the seller's ebay store, and there are none listed at this time. Back then, I only paid $8.70, plus $2.00 shipping.

Now the other ones I bought, also 2 years ago, and am currently using, were a bit pricier, $69.95:

Jaguar Wheel Badge Set - Center Cap - Wheel Motif - 1988-2012 - Maroon/Silver | eBay

Sean W (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by shemp
I bought from this vendor:
JAGUAR 4pcs. NEW X TYPE S TYPE XK8 XKR XJ8 WHEEL CENTER CAP RED LETTERS | eBay

I looked mine up and I paid $15.99, not $25 like mentioned above.
But you probably also had the $4.99 shipping charge, so about $21.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:09 PM
Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by milleniumaire
I agree, they have to be packaged okay, but so do those badges sold on eBay.

There may be a material difference between the badges sold by Adamesh, eBay and Jaguar, but I'd like to know what it is before spending £77 for a genuine Jaguar part or £35 for an Adamesh part both of which may be exactly the same as the £24.99 eBay part!

Looking at the wheel centre badges on my 2007 XKR, they are just plastic with a design on them, so nothing special!
It was the postage cost that I was commenting upon, not the high cost of the parts from the Dealer. They are only plastic and would cost less than a pound, I bought two from Sturgess Leicester last year and was amazed to be asked for 21 quid

Old 03-10-2017, 04:50 AM

I sent a couple of emails to Adamesh earlier this week and I know they have been read as I got a read reply, however, I haven't received any response regarding my questions about the quality of the centres.

I'm a firm believer that if a business doesn't make the effort to communicate during the pre-sales process they are likely to be completely ignorant when it comes to their post-sales process and should therefore be avoided. After all, they make their money by selling goods and if they don't answer my questions they won't get a sale! Clearly, this isn't an issue for them.

Consequently, I have taken a gamble and ordered what are described as "Genuine Jaguar Wheel Centre Badges" from eBay. The photos do seem to show the correct markings, but I guess time will tell if they really are genuine or not.

Old 03-10-2017, 05:07 AM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

The aftermarket ones are garbage, you can spot them as the back side of the cap is plain plastic, whereas the genuine ones have part numbers and other info moulded into them.

The aftermarket ones fall out after a while (lost a couple), or they fall apart; I've had the metal cap separate from the plastic on a couple leaving me with a pain black cap.

You get what you pay for, the genuine ones aren't cheap but they are worth it. I've had a set of genuine ones on for 2 years now, still look like new.

Sean W (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo
The aftermarket ones are garbage, you can spot them as the back side of the cap is plain plastic, whereas the genuine ones have part numbers and other info moulded into them.

The aftermarket ones fall out after a while (lost a couple), or they fall apart; I've had the metal cap separate from the plastic on a couple leaving me with a pain black cap.

You get what you pay for, the genuine ones aren't cheap but they are worth it. I've had a set of genuine ones on for 2 years now, still look like new.
Well I hope I just got a nice deal on some OEM. That or the Chinese are getting better at replicating OEM packaging.

SET of 4 Jaguar XF, XJ, XK, X & S Type BLACK GROWLER CAT CENTER CAPS | eBay