XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Reduced Performance Warning

Old 02-27-2018, 04:18 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Reduced Performance Warning

First time experienced this warning light today. I had driven for about 20 min. And decided to “air it out on an entrance ramp. 3rd gear at about 5,000 rpm the car drastically drops power and a triangular signal with REDUCED PERFORMANCE Comes on. Car continues to run but with major loss of power. Some 4 hours later after letting the car sit I drive home and have no problems. Anyone experienced this before?

2012 XKR

Old 02-27-2018, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

With luck there is stored data to say why it was unhappy. Otherwise guessing when it might be any of say ten things could be painful.

Old 02-27-2018, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Maybe rev limiter. You say you were in 3rd so were you in S mode and using the paddles. Assume dynamic was on. Others may chime in. Do we assume your drive home in D mode and highway speeds was OK.

Old 02-27-2018, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Restricted Performance specifically limits your rpms so that you don't damage the car. That is why you felt a significant loss of power. It did what it was supposed to do. Recently, I had restricted performance warning that was related to fuel pressure in the direct injection system and had to replace the pumps. Read the codes and you should be able to find source of the warning.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:20 PM
Received 214 Likes on 149 Posts

Is the check engine light on? If so read the code(s) and see what they say. Not all, or even most to the restricted performance will trigger OBD codes and the check engine light. I know, from experience, that some ABS, throttle body, and transmission faults will trigger the restricted performance. If the check engine light is not on you need to read the various ECMs to find which detected the fault. This requires the Jaguar SDD or similar diagnostic tool.

Or, just drive the car and see if it happens again. Many of the V8 Jags that I have owned have gone into restricted performance mode, for unknown reasons, at one time or another. Shut it off, restart, and everything is usually OK, for awhile anyway.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 732 Likes on 468 Posts

When my 2007 XKR went into restricted performance it was always on the on ramps when airing it out. In my case it was a piece of foam in the catalytic converter had come loose and was partially/barely blocking one cat. No issue's until I started pushing large amounts of air through it. Pull the codes first and go from there. I'm not saying this is your issue but it was mine.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:15 AM
Received 141 Likes on 95 Posts

Supercharger coolant pump bad

Old 02-28-2018, 08:24 AM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

One more item to consider is the battery.

With the ignition in the off position for at least ten minutes, the voltage across the battery terminals should be a minimum of 12.6 volts.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:15 AM

Thanks everyone, many good points. Today, no issues so hopefully just a gremlin at that time. Other points to some of the questions. Car was in Drive so it did not over rev. New battery less than one month old but I will check it. It seemed that the issue might be in the transmission since after the incident when trying to speed up it almost seemed the transmission was slipping. At any rate I have had other small issues over the year that correct themselves after turning the car off and then restarting. I guess sometimes it just needs to clear its mind. One other thing. Does anyone have problems with the computer screen blacking out occasionally?

Old 02-28-2018, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,887 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Only time I’ve had the blacking out screen, was on a long drive on a hot day (air con on) in stop and crawl traffic. After an hour, and then for the next several hours, until the traffic let up, it would black out, and then restart after a minute or two. Would do this every 5 to 10 minutes.
I put it down to low battery voltage (the voltage gauge in the 12v outlet in the glove box was reading 11.something volts.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:33 PM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

The age of a battery is meaningless. If there is a voltage drop off, random DTCs and other electrical 'gremlins' are the result.

Some random warnings: 'Cruise Unavailable' and 'Parking Brake Malfunction'

Old 03-01-2018, 03:44 AM
Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

All great guesses but without reading the codes you'll never know.

Get yourself a code reader and save yourself a load of wasted time.

The following 2 users liked this post by JonWat:
davchr (03-01-2018), guy (02-08-2021)
Old 08-13-2018, 02:03 PM

Well the old “Restricted Performance came on again today. Same situation. Hard acceleration going onto ramp. At about 6,000 RPM a couple of misfires and then Restricted Performance. I was then parked and out of the car for about 1 hour. Got back in and everything fine so I decided to see if I could duplicate. Sure enough after hard acceleration, warning came on again along with the engine warning symbol.

My extended factory warranty is up in 1 month so I am wanting to get this resolved. Will take to dealership but would welcome any input. 2012 XKR convertable with 46,000 mi on the clock. Has been a great car. Unfortunately there is really no place to really enjoy the performance. Mine is driven mostly around town so it could be a little “carboned up”.

Old 08-13-2018, 02:25 PM
Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Keep us posted! Mine is drivin around town in terrible South florida traffic. The carbon thing scares me too.. with only 31k on my 2012XKR.

Joe

Old 08-13-2018, 03:43 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Just out of morbid curiosity, did you happen to notice if the exhaust was coming out stronger and smokier from one side of the car, particularly the driver's side, when you were in Restricted Performance mode?

Old 08-13-2018, 04:05 PM

Did not see any noticeable exhaust emissions. I have had the “missing” before after in city driving for a long time but it normaly clears up and no “restrictions”. I remember “back in the day” when I would take my 64 Ford 390 out and “blow it out”. Lots of skipping and smoke and then it would really run. To some degree I think it is necessary to run the car hard occasionally but it could be that this protection device shuts the engine down before it has a time to clean out.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Mine did that Restricted Performance right after I floored it to get around an idiot parked in the fast lane. Was it like SERIOUSLY restricted performance? I barely limped the couple miles home. You may have not noticed any smoke, but was there perchance a scent of gasoline (or petrol, you don't have your location posted)?
The problem I had was one bad injector, but all four on that side were replaced.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:53 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

It's a waste of time speculating on potential faults until you have scanned the car and read the codes.

In saying that... i'd be willing to bet your intercooler pump is dead, given that this is only happening when you're giving it some stick.

Which by the way, it's a very stupid thing to be doing given that the car has a fault, and you seem to be sticking your head in the sand about it.

Get the codes read, don't beat up on the car until the problem is fixed.

The following 4 users liked this post by Cambo:
guy (02-08-2021), Queen and Country (08-15-2018), Ranchero50 (08-13-2018), wsn03 (02-08-2021)
Old 08-13-2018, 08:19 PM
Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo
It's a waste of time speculating on potential faults until you have scanned the car and read the codes.

In saying that... i'd be willing to bet your intercooler pump is dead, given that this is only happening when you're giving it some stick.

Which by the way, it's a very stupid thing to be doing given that the car has a fault, and you seem to be sticking your head in the sand about it.

Get the codes read, don't beat up on the car until the problem is fixed.
lol

Old 08-15-2018, 02:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem solved in my case

Hi just had an XF in today 3.0 diesel for the warning light “reduced performance” I ran the diagnostics and the car threw up 9 faults. Most were Air flow related. After looking online and finding your comments I began to think the worst, boost leaks, turbos, boost leaks, intercoolers... etc etc as the computer only picks up electrical faults I decided to check the engine bay for anything amiss. So this is what I did.
Cleaned airflow meters- reset codes.=still no better.
Further investigating, I lifted the engine cover and found 3 plastic vac pipes that sit on the top of the engine just below the cover to the left of the engine. One had broken off completely. I managed to make one from an old engine that was lying around. Just as a temp solution. I reset the codes and started the car.
Problem solved!!!!!!! New pipe ordered from the dealer. £70. Not cheap. The pipe is an “S” shape and around 6cm long.
This may not the the case for everyone out there but hopefully this helps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reduced Performance Warning