XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rubbing Compound gone bad

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 10:35 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Rubbing Compound gone bad

After golf yesterday, I came out to the parking lot to find a small 3 inch scratch on the rear fender, just in front of the wheel. I didn't appear too deep, so when I got home, I attempted to remove it with a small amount of rubbing compound. To my horror, it left a dull, very noticeable spot where I was rubbing. I tried to apply wax, however, the dull spot is still very prevalent.

What do I do?

Old 07-28-2014, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by ndy.boyd
After golf yesterday, I came out to the parking lot to find a small 3 inch scratch on the rear fender, just in front of the wheel. I didn't appear too deep, so when I got home, I attempted to remove it with a small amount of rubbing compound. To my horror, it left a dull, very noticeable spot where I was rubbing. I tried to apply wax, however, the dull spot is still very prevalent.

What do I do?
It almost sounds like you may have gone through the clear coat. There are various compound grits from course to fine and then some of the scratch and swirl removers. Which one did you use and how aggressive were you in using it. If polish or wax doesn't bring the shine back you should take it to a paint repair shop and see what they can do.

The following users liked this post:
ndy.boyd (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

I am pretty sure that a pro polishing could fix that in a couple of minutes. I have a bird drop that has spotted my paint on the rear fender. A pro detailer looked at it and said it was an easy fix, I just have to get to the place.

ndy.boyd (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 11:44 AM

Thanks for the responses. I have to take the car in to a pro detailer to have it prepped for a surface sealant anyway, so I'll ask him to pay particular attention to the spot in question.

Fingers crossed.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Easily fixed with a professional-grade polisher. I highly doubt you did any damage to the clear coat.

ndy.boyd (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 04:24 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for the responses. I have to take the car in to a pro detailer to have it prepped for a surface sealant anyway, so I'll ask him to pay particular attention to the spot in question.

Fingers crossed.
Let us know how it turns out! I was backing the XJL out of the garage one morning and instead of hitting the parking button to turn all the sounds off I hit the garage door opener which came down and left a few scratches on the trunk lid. I wasn't even drunk! I tried the rubbing compound and it left the same faded paint look that yours did. And it did nothing for the scratches. Figured I'd have to get it repainted.

So let us know how it turns out.

ndy.boyd (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 05:45 PM
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Fingers crossed.
I detail our cars.

Some compounds can be pretty aggressive and will leave behind marring. The next step would be to use a less aggressive product and if necessary, an even less aggressive one to remove the marring left behind by the previous one. A pro should be able to fix it in no time. I doubt that you went through the clear.

Now, there are pro detailers and there are those who buy some product, a buffer and some MF towels and hang out the "pro detailer" shingle. I hope that the detailer you are taking it to for the prep is the same one who is applying the sealant.

Good luck.

ndy.boyd (07-28-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 08:30 AM

I'm very happy and relieved to report that my detailer worked wonders on the spot I screwed up and completely removed the damage I caused with the rubbing compound. I now wish that I had taken before/after pics. Thanks to all that responded. It's amazing what a pro can do with knowledge, experience and a buffer.

In any event, he clay barred the entire car for me and I took it home and applied the Pinnacle surface coating myself. I also applied the Pinnacle wheel coating. Now, one would be hard pressed to sit on the hood as they'd likely slide right off. Amazing stuff.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:53 AM
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Have a 2011 xk botanical green. Got bird drop on drivers door, wouldn't wash off completely. Called Jag dealer and they said go to body shop, DO NOT USE RUBBING COMPOUND, I said ok. went to body shop they said same no compound. They fixed it in no time using fine grit sand paper. I was told because of the paint that Jag uses this it the only way to fix any scrapes or spots on a Jag. Cost $20.00, well spent. Paint perfect.

RobB (08-14-2014)