XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Spare wheel

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 01:18 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Spare wheel

My car comes with a flat tyre kit (foam+compressor),no spare wheel and a 'kit' composed of 1)the safety bolt 2)a wrench and 3) the tow ring.No trace of a jack:is it what to expect?I thought a jack wouldn't have been a luxury.
Also about spare wheel:would it make sense to acquire one?If yes,of what size you think?The car must be one of the last produced (OK,I know that you Americans got the last 50,haha!) as she has been registered in October 2014.Thank you for your help and advices!Phil.

Old 12-23-2015, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,171 Likes on 3,393 Posts

Phil1,

I see that you're a newbie, so welcome to the Forum! You'll find lots of helpful members and answers to all your questions here.

My 2009 XKR Portfolio was equipped with Alcon brakes and came from the factory without a spare because the OEM spare wouldn't clear the calipers. Being Old School, I was very uncomfortable without that security blanket and I kept a Bible in my trunk (boot) and prayed that I wouldn't get a flat. However, I decided to not wait for my prayers to be answered and in January 2012 began my quest for a spare, which I now have and no longer suffer from flat anxiety.

You asked if it would make sense to acquire a spare. That depends on the extent you may suffer from flat anxiety. If you're married, no question - get a spare (tire, that is).

You didn't mention if your car has 19" or 20" wheels. No matter, because the OEM 19" spare will fit. You can order everything - compact spare/jack/foam tray/tools - from your dealer or search eBay or wrecking yards. I got lucky because I bought everything in unused condition from an eBay seller who parted it out from a wrecked XKR. Note that you won't need the aftermarket spacer that I have to use with my Alcon brakes.

For details, see this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...14-xkr-130464/

All the gory details of my 2012 quest are here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-brakes-67260/ Here's what it looks like:

If this was helpful, please press at the bottom right.

Stuart

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
britannia (12-23-2015), Phil1 (12-24-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 03:50 PM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

Phil1,
Yes, you gottaa have a 'space maker' spare; be nice to have a jack but if you have a towing service you don't need one...................but a spare is really a must!

Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year, Adrian

The following users liked this post:
Phil1 (12-24-2015)
Old 12-24-2015, 08:55 AM

Thank you Stuart S and Britannia!Very detailed reply.Had a look on eBay but unlucky just now.I am going to pay a visit to the local dealer as I know now a bot more about the question.I ll share with you any more info I ll get.Cheers...and Merry Christmas!Phil.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

I did the same as Stuart S. Bought off eBay for the complete set of components (tire, jack kit) for under $150. Now I have peace of mind when driving.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:43 AM

Hello all!And a (late) thank you for your comment richzak!Still on the topic of the spare wheel and forgive my ignorance but could someone tell me how do you know if your car is equipped with Alcon brakes or not?Thank you.Phil.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member

Phil,

Alcon brakes were standard equipment on the 2008 XKR Portfolio and optional on the 2009 XKR Portfolio models. They are easily identifiable by the crescent-shaped slots in the rotors and the red front calipers with the embossed R logo and "6-pistons" imprint. Rear rotors also have the crescent slots and red calipers, but are plain; they don't have the R logo or imprint to show that they're 4 piston calipers.

Stuart

P.S. The 2008 and 2009 Portfolio models mentioned above are North American models only. Alcon brakes can be identified in other markets from the above photo.

Last edited by Stuart S; 12-30-2015 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:53 PM
Default Spare wheel-calipers.

Front.

Still front.

Rear.

Hello Stuart S.Thank you again for your reply.The photos (very nice wheels!) say it all.I send you photos of car-here again,pictures are better than literature.I have a different set of calliper so as you can see and I think I have definitely to pay a visit to the local dealer and HOPEFULLY fine someone there who can tell me what the manufacturer makes of the 'spare wheel' issue.I will post their answer when I ll get it of course.I already know I am not ready to pay the extravagant price they will quote me but from there I hope I can figure out if your wheel spacer will fit.Thank you again for your time and the invaluable photos (makes you know a bit more about the history of the car too!).I am going now for some New Year dinner at friends-just a few hours ahead of you...Happy New Year to you all!Phil.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member

Phil,

Love the Vortex wheels! They're my favorite OEM design, and were first introduced on the UK market 2008 4.2L XKR-S (quite rare) and subsequently made available on the 5.0L models (as pictured above by you). Here's the 2008 version:

Happy New Year to all!

Stuart

Old 01-22-2016, 08:09 AM
Default Spare wheel

Hello all,hello Stuart S!I finally found an unused space saver with its toolkit at a car breaker.Jaguar quoted me 659£ (!) and I paid 318£-postage included for the second hand.I joined 2 photos.Just a question:how to screw the whole thing to the car?The 'T' screw provided (photo3) seems long to me-I don't want to damage anything by 'forcing' it.Thank you!

Old 01-22-2016, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Mine is just laid into the tire well. It's a tight fit so no T-screw handle needed to tie it down. Other Jaguar owners may be different.

Phil1 (01-23-2016)
Old 01-22-2016, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member

Phil,

You can try putting the "bolt end" of that handle through the hub hole in the center of your spare wheel and try to tighten it into the nut in the floor, but I doubt that it will fit. I have the same handle and it is too tall to fit under the removable floor board that covers my spare, so it probably won't work in your car. I believe that Jaguar used the same foam/toolkit for other models, so that may explain why we have that handle - your kit probably didn't come from an X150, but it still works. I know that my spare and toolkit came from an XJ SuperSport.

I don't need a hold-down because, like Richzak, my spare fits very snug in the trunk (boot); so tightly that I had to deflate the spare to get it to fit. No problem, though, since I also have the 12v inflator to pump it back up if I ever need to use it.

If your spare isn't snug in your boot, you can easily make a DIY hold-down buy purchasing a long bolt with the proper thread and large washer to fit against the wheel from your local hardware store.

Stuart

Old 01-23-2016, 06:06 AM

Hello Stuart!Many thanks for your reply:it saves me all the time and frustration I would have spent to try to fit that handle!For some reason,my spare gets into the well without the need to deflate it,so my next mission is to find the adequate bolt or,as you suggest,to make one myself.I ll keep you posted.Thank you again Stuart!!!Phil.

Stuart S (01-23-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 03:28 AM

Hello all!I m'a juste happy to close the subject of the spare saver.As I wrote I found a unused spare saver and a tool kit at a car breaker (who told me was coming from a X150) but the bolt provided to fix the whole thing to the car was too long.The car breaker kindly sent me another one which this time was...too short!He finally sent me one which does the job and I provide a photo of the 3 bolts (the one which fits is the one with the black plastic cap on the right) in case anyone would need Infoseek on the same subject.Thank you all for your Eli.Cheers!Phil1.

Stuart S (01-31-2016)