XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Stereo unit fiber optic cable question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 05:50 PM
Received 270 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Stereo unit fiber optic cable question

Ive decided to relocate my head unit to a new location in the car since I am doing a custom setup. But I have one question, the PBT-gf30 cable on the back of the head unit I am assuming is fiber optic cables? And is this just audio that is traveling through it or does the fiber optic cable also control other stuff? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 03-08-2018, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridicrick
Ive decided to relocate my head unit to a new location in the car since I am doing a custom setup. But I have one question, the PBT-gf30 cable on the back of the head unit I am assuming is fiber optic cables? And is this just audio that is traveling through it or does the fiber optic cable also control other stuff? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
That is actual part of the MOST network and yes you can use extension cables but there is more to the head unit than just the MOST, you have the rest of the harnesses to contend with as well. Anything is possible but that's a big undertaking to do it correctly. Why do you want to move it?

Old 03-08-2018, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

There are three connectors in the back of the touchscreen. Power, GVIF from the NAV unit and FO cable. As jahummer indicates, the fiber optics are part of the MOST ring. The first half controls the information and entertainment control module, a test connector, integrated audio module touch screen display and amp power if so equipped. The second half, or trunk stack, includes Navigation, Sdars tuner, telephone module.

They loop must remain in tact so unless you disable some functionality in SDD, you can't take anything out of the loop. But you can relocate it in theory, yes.

Probably the easiest way to see what you can or can't do is to look at the pinpoint tests in the shop manual, section 415

Last edited by Sean W; 03-08-2018 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:17 PM

Out of the 3 cable connectors on the back of the unit 2 of them (the two that are not fiber optic) I can easily splice and extent the connectors to move the stereo unit 15",at least it appears I can do this. Im relocating the stereo to where the ashtray is in front of the shifter. The stereo will actually fit with a little bit of cutting/modifying and 3d printing. It will lay at a slight angle. But anyways back to the wiring. My issues is that darn fiber optic. So in theory if I can find some fiber optic extender cables I should be good to go? I have searched for these cables but honestly dont know which ones to even look for or which are the correct ones.

And to answer questions I am installing a nice aftermarket stereo into where the current factory stereo is. I have expensive equipment that really needs a nicer stereo to really make it perform how it should. Dont get me wrong the factory stereo is nice and sounds nice but Im not happy with the low level to high level quality signals (slight engine noise) and I just want something that will be a little more modern and with a little more entertainment for me like spotify, movies and so on to be in my dash, not to mention a better navigation as our facotry navigation is the worst! lol

Originally Posted by Sean W
There are three connectors in the back of the touchscreen. Power, GVIF from the NAV unit and FO cable. As jahummer indicates, the fiber optics are part of the MOST ring. The first half controls the information and entertainment control module, a test connector, integrated audio module touch screen display and amp power if so equipped. The second half, or trunk stack, includes Navigation, Sdars tuner, telephone module.

They loop must remain in tact so unless you disable some functionality in SDD, you can't take anything out of the loop. But you can relocate it in theory, yes.

Probably the easiest way to see what you can or can't do is to look at the pinpoint tests in the shop manual, section 415

Old 03-09-2018, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

I would look to reroute the cable up under the console from the back. Not sure how it's ran now but that should shorten the existing run a bit.

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member

My issues is that darn fiber optic. So in theory if I can find some fiber optic extender cables I should be good to go? I have searched for these cables but honestly dont know which ones to even look for or which are the correct ones.
The one from the head unit is actually already an extension from there to the right side of the armrest of the center console. You may find one from a breaker or possible a male to female extension on eBay or elsewhere.

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member

This is what you want if you want one at all.

Amazon Amazon

You can write him and he will customize it (shorten it), but if the FO cable is already coming up from the center console and you're lowering the touchscreen, not sure that you need an extension. You will have to look to be sure. as jahummer and Ranchero have said, you can likely re-route it.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:34 AM

Thanks everyone for your help. I will order that cable on amazon and see if that works, from the pics it looks like it will. The reason I dont think I can use the current cable without an extension is even though it runs through the center console the end that plugs into the stereo is daisy chained only a few inches to the next unit below it, then to another unit below that so there is not enough fiber cable between the connectors on that daisy chain to move the stereo even 6 inches away. But with that extension I think I can pull this off. Ill post pics and video of it all when the wire arrives next week.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks everyone for your help. I will order that cable on amazon and see if that works, from the pics it looks like it will. The reason I dont think I can use the current cable without an extension is even though it runs through the center console the end that plugs into the stereo is daisy chained only a few inches to the next unit below it, then to another unit below that so there is not enough fiber cable between the connectors on that daisy chain to move the stereo even 6 inches away. But with that extension I think I can pull this off. Ill post pics and video of it all when the wire arrives next week.

Are you moving the entire head unit down or are you taking it apart and just moving part of it?

Old 03-09-2018, 09:57 AM

Im moving the entire head unit, entire metal casing with the lcd. Im currently designing the 3d part that will actually make it fit where the ashtray is. There will be 1/4" of the top of the screen that will be hard to get with your fingers but the rest will be just fine and viewing angle will be great. Its really hard to explain or imagine when you look at the ashtray it looks impossible.. lol.. But its doable with some cutting plastic and a new 3d printed screen bezel.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

the connector plugs, both male and female have a locking tab. When you pull it out, you can disconnect the cable from the plug and rearrange the long/ short cables as needed. I'm not sure the order is important, as long as the loop is maintained but if it is, the Integrated audio module is from/to the touchscreen and the Information and entertainment module is on the other. 100 cm is too much length imo so you may want to customize it or go with a shorter one. This one has all the parts each line is 20", so you can disassemble and reconfigure. You can't have too much bend in the cables as you know. They need to be loopy.

Amazon Amazon

Old 03-09-2018, 12:52 PM

Thanks for the advice Sean. Im going to order both cables just to see which one works best for me. Amazon is pretty good at taking back stuff plus they are cheap anyway. Im excited to try this out. I was going to do your same android setup with using the original stereo but I really wanted a bigger screen so I bought one of those 10.1" android double din setups, it just barely fits (with some modifying) but it works and looks great. Looks almost like a tesla and its big screen, except horizontal. lol

Amazon Amazon

the connector plugs, both male and female have a locking tab. When you pull it out, you can disconnect the cable from the plug and rearrange the long/ short cables as needed. I'm not sure the order is important, as long as the loop is maintained but if it is, the Integrated audio module is from/to the touchscreen and the Information and entertainment module is on the other. 100 cm is too much length imo so you may want to customize it or go with a shorter one. This one has all the parts each line is 20", so you can disassemble and reconfigure. You can't have too much bend in the cables as you know. They need to be loopy.

https://www.amazon.com/Multimedia-Co...610496&sr=1-15

Old 03-09-2018, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the advice Sean. Im going to order both cables just to see which one works best for me. Amazon is pretty good at taking back stuff plus they are cheap anyway. Im excited to try this out. I was going to do your same android setup with using the original stereo but I really wanted a bigger screen so I bought one of those 10.1" android double din setups, it just barely fits (with some modifying) but it works and looks great. Looks almost like a tesla and its big screen, except horizontal. lol

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DBZON7C9&psc=1
I was wondering if a person could actually "swap" the 7" resistive screen right off the OEM head unit with a larger one. Something I was going to consider but backed away after looking at the bezel. I think a 9" screen would be great, just don't know if it can be done. Kind of outside my skill set. I have the spare screen, but haven't reached out to anyone for a quote.

Just a quick not on those cables, order now if you're not in a hurry. They are e-packets from China which takes upwards of 6 weeks. You can pay up to have them shipped within a few days I think for about $40 more.

Old 03-09-2018, 03:09 PM

Ok they are ordered and it was $50 total for expidited shipping on both cables. Well worth it if I dont have to wait a dam month to get them.

I was wondering if a person could actually "swap" the 7" resistive screen right off the OEM head unit with a larger one. Something I was going to consider but backed away after looking at the bezel. I think a 9" screen would be great, just don't know if it can be done. Kind of outside my skill set. I have the spare screen, but haven't reached out to anyone for a quote.

Just a quick not on those cables, order now if you're not in a hurry. They are e-packets from China which takes upwards of 6 weeks. You can pay up to have them shipped within a few days I think for about $40 more.