XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Trickle Charger...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 09:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trickle Charger...

Greetings, my XKR 2009 will not be used for three months and it was suggested to me that I buy and install a "Trickle Charger" that will ensure that the battery remains charged while the car is not in use. My Jaguar Service Center told me that I could buy these in many stores and all I had to do was attach it to the + and - of the battery in the trunk and plug the device into a 110 outlet (Canada) Has anyone ever done this ?

Old 05-13-2013, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by abela
Greetings, my XKR 2009 will not be used for three months and it was suggested to me that I buy and install a "Trickle Charger" that will ensure that the battery remains charged while the car is not in use. My Jaguar Service Center told me that I could buy these in many stores and all I had to do was attach it to the + and - of the battery in the trunk and plug the device into a 110 outlet (Canada) Has anyone ever done this ?
I've just purchased 3 of the devices, linked below. Just be sure that you get the type of charger that SHUTS OFF automatically when the battery is fully charged. If you get a so called MANUAL float or trickle charger, it will keep on charging continuously and overcharge and kill your battery over an extended period, like the one describing.

Sportsman Series BFC12 Automatic Battery Float Charger : Amazon.com : Automotive Sportsman Series BFC12 Automatic Battery Float Charger : Amazon.com : Automotive

Upon receiving the above devices I tested each one for current output and they all put out the advertised 0.5 - 0.6 Amp. That is a very safe amount for float charging. However, one claim it make is not there; it does NOT show when the battery is charging and when it is not. The picture shows it to have a read and a green light but, the ones I received have only the red lights that light up as soon as you attach the Pos and Neg leads to the battery. You can not tell when it automatically shuts off. There are many similar automatic devices on the market, so take some time and find the one you like.

Albert

The following users liked this post:
abela (05-13-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 11:03 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

You want a float charger or a battery tender, not a trickle charger. There is an important difference. Here's what I use on all the toys over the winter:

Battery Tender Plus, 1.25A Charger/Maintainer | Canadian Tire

BTW- Canada, including Quebec has 120 volt AC not 110. Even Mme. Marois has no 'power' over that.

Muddydog (05-13-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 11:20 AM

Mikey... Thanks for the info. Yes 120 V oooops. Will that battery tender shut off automatically once the battery is fully charged ? And another question... the battery is in the trunk, will I be able to close the trunk with the wire hanging out ? Otherwise the trunk light stays on, running the battery down... granted I probably could unscrew it...

Old 05-13-2013, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Mikey... Thanks for the info. Yes 120 V oooops. Will that battery tender shut off automatically once the battery is fully charged ? And another question... the battery is in the trunk, will I be able to close the trunk with the wire hanging out ? Otherwise the trunk light stays on, running the battery down... granted I probably could unscrew it...
I'm not Mikey but, can reassure you that you can close your trunk with the small diameter wires hanging out. There is more than enough flexibility in the rubber wether seal at the bottom of the trunk to allow for that.

Albert

abela (05-13-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 02:24 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

. Will that battery tender shut off automatically once the battery is fully charged ?
Yes that's exactly how they work. A standard trickle charger stays on all the time, you don't want that.

abela (05-14-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

So much has been previously written on this subject that I feel like I'm (I've always wanted to use this and finally got the chance to do so!)

Battery chargers have been extensively discussed in the following thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lay-ups-73471/ See my posts ##17, 19, and 21, which has detailed photos.

Before you buy a Battery Tender brand, be sure to read the user reviews on Amazon.com, including mine. Since I was not a satisfied customer, I will never buy anything from them again. I am pleased with the BatteryMinder Plus brand charger that I use daily on my XKR and bought on Amazon.com. There are other equally good brands, so do your research and buy the one that best suits your needs.

Hope this helps,

Stuart

abela (05-14-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 09:10 PM
Received 447 Likes on 333 Posts

And another question... the battery is in the trunk, will I be able to close the trunk with the wire hanging out ? Otherwise the trunk light stays on, running the battery down... granted I probably could unscrew it...
To save your battery, your jag is programmed to turn the trunk light off after a pre-determined amount of time, I think its 15 to 20 minutes.

If you want to verify this, leave the trunk open and check on it in a half hour, the light will be off.
Vector

abela (05-14-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 10:15 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts
Default Link to Canadian Site -- Tecmate Optimate

I purchased 2 chargers from: Smartchargers Canada One for my XKR and the other for my G37.

Order the Optimate 6, TM-181 - Optimate 6 5Amp Sealed Desulfating,
they are excellent battery chargers and maintainers. They will actually restore a damaged battery, and disulphate the battery. Very intelligent.
TM-181 - Optimate 6 5Amp Sealed Desulfating.
They come with a pigtail connector which you connect to the battery and leave the charger connecting plug in the tuck for quick and easy connect/disconnect.

I researched many battery chargers/maintainers and these bad boys had the best reviews and results and I can't complain.

The following 2 users liked this post by DGL:
abela (05-14-2013), Muddydog (05-13-2013)
Old 05-14-2013, 06:53 AM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

After Jag warrantied my battery, I installed a CTEK Smart Charger in hopes that this new battery will stay healthier longer. (it's not a daily driver) This model appears to be identical to the one offered at the dealer (but with a Porsche emblem attached) for a lot more $$.

abela (05-14-2013)
Old 05-14-2013, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
So much has been previously written on this subject that I feel like I'm (I've always wanted to use this and finally got the chance to do so!)

Battery chargers have been extensively discussed in the following thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lay-ups-73471/ See my posts ##17, 19, and 21, which has detailed photos.

Before you buy a Battery Tender brand, be sure to read the user reviews on Amazon.com, including mine. Since I was not a satisfied customer, I will never buy anything from them again. I am pleased with the BatteryMinder Plus brand charger that I use daily on my XKR and bought on Amazon.com. There are other equally good brands, so do your research and buy the one that best suits your needs.

Hope this helps,

Stuart

That thread with the pictures was VERY helpful... my car is even the same color !

Old 05-18-2013, 09:32 AM
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Both my Harley's, my 1930 Chevy and my XK have the Battery Tender Jr's on them with no problems what so ever. I've been using the Jr's for a few years with no problems. My M5 has the Ctek on it and it's been on it for 5 years with no problems either.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:48 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes I do it every winter in the NW for about 4 to 5 months. Sears is one source for a battery tender or maintainer for about $50.00 (a good one). It is not considered a trickle or charger but a maintainer to keep the battery at the proper level. Mine has worked well for 6 yrs.

abela (05-22-2013)