XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

UK MOT advisories

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UK MOT advisories

Hi everyone....first post, go easy on me.
I'm researching a few local XK's and doing my homework on the DVLA site with past MOT's.
I see every single one coming through with an advisory that because of some under-body sheilding, that there are components within the test that they're unable to access, hence they must have skipped those and carried on.
What exactly is being missed and are those things going to bite someone on the backside one day, years on?
What is this shield covering??

Old 12-10-2017, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

The covers/shields are part of the cars aerodynamics . It is a large plastic shield that covers the bottom end of the engine from the nose to the transmission. With it on you can't see if there are any fluid leaks or damage to the underside of the engine compartment. These shields are screwed on and are removable . There should be no reason why they can't be removed for any inspection unless the inspectors are to lazy to do it or afraid they will damage something. It can be done .

The following users liked this post:
Tania Thomas (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by jagtoes
The covers/shields are part of the cars aerodynamics . It is a large plastic shield that covers the bottom end of the engine from the nose to the transmission. With it on you can't see if there are any fluid leaks or damage to the underside of the engine compartment. These shields are screwed on and are removable . There should be no reason why they can't be removed for any inspection unless the inspectors are to lazy to do it or afraid they will damage something. It can be done .
If they're that large and cover that volume of the underside, they'd cover quite a lot.

I'd almost be 99.9% certain in saying that the UK test would prevent any kind of removal of parts to gain access, but certainly would be interested to know what they'd want to have a look at. If it was a critical 'must check' item, then the test would naturally fail, but as it pops up as an 'advisory' then i'm thinking its not something that critical.

Maybe any of the UK readers here can help?

Old 12-10-2017, 06:54 PM
Received 2,580 Likes on 1,785 Posts

What components did they give an 'advisory' on? I do remember my Morris Mini failing the MoT for a small oil leak, but that was years ago.

Old 12-10-2017, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by NBCat
What components did they give an 'advisory' on? I do remember my Morris Mini failing the MoT for a small oil leak, but that was years ago.
They don't, thats the quandary...the standard quote used always is along the lines of "certain items unable to be checked because of engine cover"

Old 12-10-2017, 07:11 PM

Did you make an enquiry as to what the 'certain items' are? Do DVLA have a list of items that are checked during the MoT inspection? I remember the garage having a list they could use to tick off each area.

Old 12-10-2017, 07:15 PM
Old 12-10-2017, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

I think the little one that covers the front bottom of the engine is blocking access from leak inspections. I tossed mine in the corner hoping it would help with cooling.

Old 12-11-2017, 02:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
There should be no reason why they can't be removed for any inspection
They are not allowed to remove things but also there simply isn't time as there is a max price and I doubt they make money as it is. The MoT is very thorough within its limitations and has transformed Britain's car fleet. (But is by no means perfect - we need to work on drivers!!)

Nowadays many cars have shields etc so many are getting these advisories.

It would make sense to remove various things (sill covers etc) when buying but that is not an MoT issue (yet?).

The engine shield doesn't tend to be hiding anything but others may be on non-aluminium cars.

An MoT is not a guarantee that a car is worth buying and does have limitations but short of a massive strip-down (and huge hike in price) that is not going to change.

Perhaps they will start using borescopes (thin cameras) to inspect a bit better - you could DIY that.

Last edited by JagV8; 12-11-2017 at 02:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jagtoes (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 09:44 AM
Received 194 Likes on 123 Posts

As above, the MOT testers are forbidden from undoing or removing anything to inspect the car. It is a visual check only, except for the emissions tests, any applicable braking force tests and checks for things like lights illuminating when they should, horn, windscreen wipers etc.

That being said, I've never seen an advisory on my own car for the undertray preventing any inspection so I presumed it was because the undertray did not obscure any of the things they have to check. It won't have prevented them from inspecting the brake lines or anything like that, just might mean that they couldn't see if there was anything looking unacceptably worn or leaking fluids, for example.

If you want a more thorough check carried out, some dealers will do a visual health-check on a car for a small fee or free of charge; if the car in question is being sold privately then I guess it would tell you a lot if the seller is happy to have the car inspected. The AA, RAC and other third parties also offer such checks if you want a little more peace of mind.