XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

XKR carbon residue.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 09:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XKR carbon residue.

I am looking at finalizing the purchase of a 2007 XKR with a little over 38,000 miles, however, there is a heavy deposit of carbon residue on the tail pipes and the owner has mentioned using a mix of mid and premium fuel - as well as not driving the car much. I also noticed two small circle when the car is removed from the garage that also show carbon residue with a little fuel.

Is this possibly a fuel grade issue, lack of driving, or something else I should be aware of?

Old 01-08-2012, 11:07 PM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

The leaving of residue is odd in my experience. Are you sure it isn't just moisture from the tail pipes, a common occurence?

My low mile 2010 XKR has carbon build up on and in the quad exhaust. I think with chrome pipes it is just a fact of life. Don't think fuel grade is relevant. A good cleaning and detailing can clean it out, but my guess with limited experience is that it'll build up as a matter of course.

Maybe someone else will have more knowledge,

Skeeter

The following users liked this post:
Al Danzy (01-09-2012)
Old 01-09-2012, 05:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

If you have unburned fuel coming out of the tailpipes you have bigger problems than just carbon/soot.

Water is one of the things produced by the catalytic converters, and could carry some of teh carbon/soot out of the exhaust pipes onto the floor of the garage. Also, raw fuel in the exhaust will *completely* destroy the catalyst in the catalytic converters. The catalyst will actually disintegrate (come apart) if bombarded by raw fuel for an extended period of time.

These things are repairable if they are in fact a problem. Keep in mind that it is normal to smell a little fuel when a car starts up, especially an enclosed space like a garage. That doesn't mean it's dumping raw fuel into the exhaust.

Have you had the thing hooked up to an appropriate computer diagnostic machine? I'd suggest that before the purchase. Also, you should consider purchasing a warranty.

Al Danzy (01-15-2012)
Old 01-09-2012, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

How about give it an "Italian Tune Up" and see if the issue is there after a few inspired drives?

Al Danzy (01-15-2012)
Old 01-09-2012, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,141 Likes on 3,384 Posts

Originally Posted by Al Danzy
... I also noticed two small circle when the car is removed from the garage that also show carbon residue with a little fuel.

Is this possibly a fuel grade issue, lack of driving, or something else I should be aware of?

Are you certain that the liquid on the garage floor was gasoline? If not, next time dip your finger in it and see if it smells like gasoline. If it is odorless, that liquid is water. It is unlikely that unburned gasoline would survive the high temperatures of the catalytic converter and emerge in liquid form from a tailpipe.

Among the by-products produced by an internal combustion engine are cabon monoxide and water vapor. When that water vapor gets to the tailpipe and cools, it condenses into droplets that often flow out of the tailpipe and onto the garage floor.

Water that remains in the exhaust system is responsible for causing corrosion that will eventually eat through the mufflers and pipes. That's why it is important for owners of low-mileage cars to regularly take them out for at least a 30-minute drive to get them fully warmed up and get all the water evaporated out.

Hope this helps!

Al Danzy (01-15-2012)
Old 01-09-2012, 07:30 PM

Skeeter,

Thanks a bunch. You and the other helped me make up my mind and buy the red rocket. Regards, Al

Old 01-09-2012, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by rscultho
If you have unburned fuel coming out of the tailpipes you have bigger problems than just carbon/soot.

Water is one of the things produced by the catalytic converters, and could carry some of teh carbon/soot out of the exhaust pipes onto the floor of the garage. Also, raw fuel in the exhaust will *completely* destroy the catalyst in the catalytic converters. The catalyst will actually disintegrate (come apart) if bombarded by raw fuel for an extended period of time.

These things are repairable if they are in fact a problem. Keep in mind that it is normal to smell a little fuel when a car starts up, especially an enclosed space like a garage. That doesn't mean it's dumping raw fuel into the exhaust.

Have you had the thing hooked up to an appropriate computer diagnostic machine? I'd suggest that before the purchase. Also, you should consider purchasing a warranty.
Rscultho,

It had not been over a hundred miles in the past 7 months and was emissions inspected in October. All has cleared up in the past couple of days. Thanks.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
How about give it an "Italian Tune Up" and see if the issue is there after a few inspired drives?
Did that and MAN (!) at 90 mph, if you roll on the gas it launches again. A ticket waiting to happen. I have owned 3 Porches (944 and 2 911SC's) and this thing flies. I can only wonder what the newer XKR can do.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Are you certain that the liquid on the garage floor was gasoline? If not, next time dip your finger in it and see if it smells like gasoline. If it is odorless, that liquid is water. It is unlikely that unburned gasoline would survive the high temperatures of the catalytic converter and emerge in liquid form from a tailpipe.

Among the by-products produced by an internal combustion engine are cabon monoxide and water vapor. When that water vapor gets to the tailpipe and cools, it condenses into droplets that often flow out of the tailpipe and onto the garage floor.

Water that remains in the exhaust system is responsible for causing corrosion that will eventually eat through the mufflers and pipes. That's why it is important for owners of low-mileage cars to regularly take them out for at least a 30-minute drive to get them fully warmed up and get all the water evaporated out.

Hope this helps!

The more I remember it . I did smell it and there was no (gasoline) smell. I bought the car, did an Italian tune-up (per "Mosesbotbol"), detailed the car and pipes, two tanks of premium fuel, and no more evidence residue.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:42 PM
Default For those in Virginia

As we did when I was a PCA (Porsche Club) member those that are in the Washington, DC area, should have a Jaguar (XKR?) road rally. What a head turing statement and good time that would be this spring!

Old 01-09-2012, 07:53 PM
Default My (wife's) 2007 XKR

Some pics of an admired car.

Attached Thumbnails XKR carbon residue.-danzy-xkr-2.jpg   XKR carbon residue.-danzy-xkr-4.jpg   XKR carbon residue.-danzy-xkr-6.jpg   XKR carbon residue.-danzy-xkr-7.jpg   XKR carbon residue.-danzy-xkr-1.jpg  

XKR carbon residue.-danzy-xkr-3.jpg  
Old 01-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Ah, the red over caramel is awesome!

Al Danzy (01-15-2012)
Old 01-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

congrats on the new car, great example you found! That red is beautiful. Enjoy, and keep an eye on that speedo

Al Danzy (01-15-2012)
Old 01-10-2012, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

As we did when I was a PCA (Porsche Club) member those that are in the Washington, DC area, should have a Jaguar (XKR?) road rally. What a head turing statement and good time that would be this spring!
Since you're in Virginia... how about an XKR Mini-Meet at Virginia International Raceway? Could tie it in with a Chin Motorsports track day or various HPDE's.

Bruce

Old 01-15-2012, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
Since you're in Virginia... how about an XKR Mini-Meet at Virginia International Raceway? Could tie it in with a Chin Motorsports track day or various HPDE's.

Bruce
That sounds like a great idea, I wonder how many Jags we could get involved. Tks, Al

Old 01-16-2012, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member

That sounds like a great idea, I wonder how many Jags we could get involved. Tks, Al
I think a new thread could explore that level of interest. Someone arranged that in '04 in the Supra community to participate in a Panoz track school at Road Atlanta. Close to a dozen owners did the 2 day school, and a couple of dozen more owners displayed their cars in the paddock. Some of us drove up to 17 hours to be there. Some events allow passengers, and that could attract owners to experience the thrill...and maybe drive future events themselves!

Bruce

Old 01-16-2012, 10:19 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Are convertibles welcome to participate in these HSDE or is this just a cruise around the track at highway speeds? I know Road America in Wis won't let a vert on the track unless it has a roll bar and helmets are required.

Do you need a helmet?

Tom

Old 01-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

Hey Tom,

Organizers that run the track events will have different rules based on different types of events. The typical HP Driver Education/track school will have multiple run groups based on skill/experience ranging from novice to advanced. Less experienced drivers typically require an instructor to ride with them, and their group won't be running at the higher speeds that the advanced group would be. Passing rules vary among groups to improve safety and the entire event is designed to minimize the chance for car contact or injury. I would suggest most XK members would enroll in the novice and/or intermediate groups to gain from the experience of an instructor riding with them. Often times an instructor will "sign off" a student after a driving session or two, and then the student can drive solo.

Speeds might be limited by the instructor's assessment of the student's ability, but usually the driver does that themselves until they become more comfortable with the track and their car's performance. I recently did a track day and they required rollbars for convertibles, with my XKR's factory pop-up roll bars meeting their criteria. I then proceeded to drive the wheels off the car, perhaps reaching speeds close to 130 mph. Helmets were required at any event I've ever done.

Bruce