XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

XKR/S iPhone Problem. Any Solutions Welcomed

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 12:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XKR/S iPhone Problem. Any Solutions Welcomed

I bought my XKR/S new last year. Although archaic, the cable hook-up to get Pandora music streaming was problem free with my iPhone 4.

Then the problems... I was on my Vespa when the iPhone fell out of my pocket and shattered. I went to Apple to get a replacement. Apple is focused on selling their 5 series iPhones so I purchased a 5S and a cord adapter which connects to the Jaguar cable and down-sizes the cable to connect to the smaller iPhone 5.

Problem started from that point forward. The XKR/S screen 'see's' Pandora and displays the name of the song but the audio doesn't play for more than a moment. It seems to be a conflict between the iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 firmware and the Jag.

I gave the iPhone 5 S to my wife and took her iPhone 4 (a new SIM was placed in the respective phones and the old s/w was saved on Cloud so each phone could be updated with our respective data (like phone books, etc.). No problems so far.

The problem I can't resolve is, when I connect the now changed iPhone 4 to the XKR/S the Jag experiences the same problem as the iPhone 5 with the Apple cable when connected to the Jaguar. The service manager at the dealership where I purchased the new XKR/S told me the phone/entertainment operating system was introduced in 2007 and Jag didn't upgrade the XK models all the way to this years XK series. Simply stated, why put the energies and expense into the system when this is the final year for the XK series? All of the other models have robust electronics, Blue Tooth, etc.

Hs anyone reading this note had a similar disappointment with their XK? Did you find a solution? Is there a way to reboot the on-board electronics (I understand there isn't h/d or computer in the XK so I assume the reboot would need to be done to the firmware.

I didn't buy the XKR/S for it's radio but, for the amount of money spent it seems there would be a solution offered by the dealer. Any help appreciated, John

Old 08-19-2014, 01:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Im not an Apple fan, so i'm no real help. But i can tell you that i would look at Apple first.
I recently had a large number of users complaining about WiFi connectivity. Turns out it was just Apple users and no one else. Guess Apple did an IOS or firmware update that suddenly made them incompatable with all my access points. Nothing like having a stupid phone make me replace perfectly good hardware throughout my building while everyone else was still up and running!

Just a rant for you to think about before flaming Jaguar too much. (but yes, our infrotainment system is sub standard by far)

BOL

Old 08-19-2014, 02:15 AM
Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts

I actually think it was caused by a recent Apple iOS upgrade. I have had the same iPhone since I purchased my XKR-S earlier this year. For the first 4 months it worked fine with the iPod connector. For the last couple of months neither Sirius or Pandora work for more than a moment. However, iTunes Radio and the iTunes playlist continue to work fine. Go figure!

Old 08-19-2014, 04:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Is there really anyone left who's surprised that an Apple software update broke something? Wow. Apple are the new Microsoft... well, not quite but they're working on it.

Report the problems to Apple. They may realise they need to fix their software.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:20 AM

Software developers, particularly OS, try to stay current with evolving technologies. Case in point that the Apple iOS integration with the XF and the Land Rover LR4 is very effective in my opinion. But ensuring backward compatibility with aging standards and technologies is a tall order. One question is why in 2014 we get circa 2006 bluetooth technology in a new $130k car, particularly when the new standards are already fully integrated and tested in other models? Should the R&D burden be on the software developer or the vehicle manufacturer to stay current/compatible? Jaguar and Apple are both great brands from my perspective, but each has to draw the line somewhere.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:37 PM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

It's not necessarily Apple's fault... in fact, I blame Jag for placing such an outdated infotainment system in what was (at the time) their GT halo car. But I knew this when buying the car, so I'm not really complaining.

On my car, either cable-connected or via a Bluetooth module, Pandora does the same thing. Starts playing and stops. I discovered that Spotify, on the other hand, does stream successfully, and will do so wirelessly as long as I simply start Spotify on the phone. Skipping tracks also works, via the steering wheel roller.

iPhone 5 (iOS 6.1.4), 2012 XKR-S. Bluetooth via Tune2Air.

Best of luck,

Rich

Old 08-19-2014, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

When Apple introduce new versions of their software do they test it on well-known existing cars etc? No. That's why this happens.

They let their customers test. So report the fault back to Apple. They ain't gonna change their behaviour unless people complain.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

I'm planning on getting the iphone 6 next month. Should I be anticipating compatability problems? I already hate the poor performance I'm getting with my Bluetooth and archaic flip phone.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

I am a former Apple 4s user (three different units). I am no a Galaxy 4 user. Why the Apple 4s' kept going bad on my 12 XK vert. When Apple refused to replace the last one at no charge I switched to the Galaxy. Result, no further problems; phone connects properly, I-pod works fine, Pandora works fine as well. No more Iphones for me!!!

Old 08-20-2014, 01:24 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Pandora worked fine for me this morning. iPhone 5/2010 XK. Perhaps it's a software glitch with pandora. Try uninstalling it and reinstalling it.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Muddydog
Pandora worked fine for me this morning. iPhone 5/2010 XK. Perhaps it's a software glitch with pandora. Try uninstalling it and reinstalling it.
Muddydog - I'm curious, can you tell us what version of iOS you have on your iPhone 5? I only, started experiencing the stop/start problem John describes when I went to v 7.1. I'm now on 7.1.2 and it still happens. All was good when I was on an earlier version. Interestingly, it looks like Apple introduced CarPlay on 7.1. I wonder if there's a connection.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:42 PM

I have the subscription version of pandora, not the free. (I hate the ads.)

Last edited by Muddydog; 08-20-2014 at 02:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Del Boy (08-20-2014)
Old 08-21-2014, 10:11 AM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Muddydog
Interesting. And you're using the Jag connector?

Rich

Old 08-21-2014, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rw99
Interesting. And you're using the Jag connector? Rich
Correct. The factory connector and an extension and finally the new lightning connector on the end. I've progressed from the iPhone 4s to the 5, and from ios 6.something to my current. It's always worked and still does.

When I upgraded to iOS 7 my phone started doing funny things in some apps. I took it in and they said the new OS "taxes the system" so that a problem with the phone that wasn't evident before suddenly was when I upgraded.

Hmmm... I don't know I totally buy that, but I bought a new phone, and that's all they care about. Probably has nothing to do with your problem.

Here is my setup: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=95251

Last edited by Muddydog; 08-21-2014 at 11:49 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

My Galaxy S4 pared without a hitch. Still need to download my contacts, though.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:21 PM
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Today I got my XKR convert 2007 my back from mot. My friendly mechanic had updated the telephone update with the latest possible software. He tried to pair a phone, no way did he succeed.
At home I tried to pair myself, the 1000th time, and after the third attempt, holding my iphone 5 over the middle armrest, my XKR paired with my phone. Two lost years of trying, buying a Jabra freeway as alternative module, lots of frustration later, it finally works.
With more options in the touchscreen available.

Before the pairing succeeded I deleted all known Bluetooth registrations in my Iphone.

Don't despair, give it a try is the motto.

Last edited by mcdutch; 09-03-2014 at 12:22 PM. Reason: wrong word
Old 09-03-2014, 02:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would recommend a step by step check

Phone call by Bluetooth working ?
iPhone Apple software playing a mp3 file working - cable / Bluetooth ? (both works on my xkr)

Chech other software with sound - navigation of example (works with Bluetooth on mine)

The continue to radio / wimp / spotify / etc (only a few works) (my iPhone / iPad TV does not)

Then you can conclude - I concluded those features /apps competing with apples business model have a little chance of working on the latest iPhone models