XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 XKR replaced hydraulic hoses and now convertible will not latch - RESOLVED

Old 11-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 03 XKR replaced hydraulic hoses and now convertible will not latch - RESOLVED

Hi Everyone!

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a simple fix to my latest problem. Just replaced the hydraulic hoses for the convertible latch. Was a lot of work but manageable due to the information I have found on youtube and these forums. Took about 7 hours and when I tested the operation of the new hoses I could not get the convertible to latch without manually locking it. Everything seems to work okay and there thankfully is no green showers at the moment but it just will not finish the job. I tried operating it with the top of the fluid resovoir open and closed thinking that there might be air in the new lines and I cycled it through a few times but to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestion on where I should focus on next? I was careful to label the hoses and I am 99% sure they are in the correct fittings. Should I try to reverse the hoses to see if that helps?

Thanks so much for any help!

Cheers,

Corey

Last edited by sklimii; 11-19-2018 at 09:12 AM. Reason: set to resolved
Old 11-17-2018, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

Does it unlatch automatically? Or does that also have be done manually?
When closing the top does the latch raise/open automatically or stay down/closed?
When closing the top does it continue to roll up the windows or just stop completely at the point where latching should occur?
Does the top land in the correct position? Or do you have to adjust it to manually latch?
Just to confirm, you did top up the pump with fluid, right?

Old 11-18-2018, 03:49 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

But be sure the tank is full to the top embossed line of the tank and that the petcock is closed. If that does not correct the problem check the connections to the two solenoids on top of the pump but do not pull or tug on the connectors they are fragile and you will hate yourself if you break them. If this does not fix the problem crossed hoses is a possibility so give it a try at the pump fittings.

Old 11-18-2018, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

+one for the petcock lock. Plus reset the windows. I assume you know how to do that? (not being sarcastic)

You mind find this an interesting read https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthre...=1#post1094300

Old 11-19-2018, 08:49 AM
Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey Guys,

All is well! I thought I had replied with an update the night I first posted my question but it looks like it did not go through. Looks like the issue was that I had not fully reassembled all of the electrical connectors. I thought I had gotten to a point where it would function fully and I wanted to test it before putting everything back together. I kept digging in the forums and someone had the same exact problem and it turned out to be a connector. Sure enough, that was my problem. The top works well and I am so relieved to have this job completed. It was not easy work but not terribly challenging. Mainly grunt work and a never ending stream of disassembling things.

Thank you for all of your help and suggestions. So grateful to this forum and its very knowledgeable and generous members.

Best,

Corey

The following 2 users liked this post by cs81srq:
DavidYau (07-28-2019), Johnken (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 01:30 PM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts

An easy question for which I need an answer. I would think that since this is mostly a heavy fluid as opposed to something with the volatility of gas or alcohol it should be pretty much incapable of evaporating. I guess eventually if left our in the open it would evaporate p
retty much but in a mostly closed environment like your trunk for example it would leave an oily residue at the very least. So far I've found not a trace. I haven't removed the rear seat cushion or pulled up any carpet.

Old 07-28-2019, 01:40 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

How about you start a new thread with the problem you are having.

Originally Posted by RDMinor
An easy question for which I need an answer. I would think that since this is mostly a heavy fluid as opposed to something with the volatility of gas or alcohol it should be pretty much incapable of evaporating. I guess eventually if left our in the open it would evaporate p
retty much but in a mostly closed environment like your trunk for example it would leave an oily residue at the very least. So far I've found not a trace. I haven't removed the rear seat cushion or pulled up any carpet.

Old 07-28-2019, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by RDMinor
Every liquid does evaporate eventually but you can rule that out as the cause of your fluid loss. With this kind of fluid, we're talking 10s of years before there would be measurable loss.