XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1.5 years of ownership costs

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 10:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1.5 years of ownership costs

hi all - bought 2002 xk8 1.5 years ago (circa 33k miles now 37k miles). had car checked out by Jaguar Forum member who checks out classic jags - car looked clean and low miles. kept a spreadsheet (maybe a mistake) of things i have had to repair or change since purchase.

does the below costsseem reasonable/normal? i am debating to keep the jag, or purchase something more sensible (e.g. a VW, grand cherokee or 911 - need to look into costs). the throttle body going last week felt like the last straw. would other cars have similar running costs.

one advantage to buying used and in cash - i dont have monthly payments etc, and car hasnt depriated much. but running costs seem to be rising. just curious for thoughts as feeling like i'm killing a lot of time/money on this car right now. still love driving it but feeling close to giving up.

things gone wrong
- throttle body replaced
- 02 sensor replaced
- door sensor replaced
- intermittent ABS light on/off over months (thankfully now stopped)

wear and tear
- new battery (cheap one was fitted when purchased so bought better one to power it)
- tires x 4
- front brakes discs and pads
- jaguar growler emblems (stolen it seems)

Last edited by londonxk8; 12-01-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:03 AM
Received 285 Likes on 172 Posts

I don't see any costs? Am I missing something...

As far as issues with the Jag, none of us probably bought the Jag for reliability, but more for its BEAUTY... and the car IS 15 years old so you have to take that into consideration when looking at other cars.

Old 12-01-2017, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Owning these cars is all about being able to DIY the vast majority of maintenance and repairs on them. If you must pay someone else to handle the upkeep, even a reasonably-priced indie shop, these cars can clean out your bank account in a hurry....

Old 12-01-2017, 11:59 AM
Received 243 Likes on 136 Posts

Having driven old cars of various sorts all my life , I would say that your list looks pretty GOOD to me The same wear & tear / maintenance happens with all cars. I would actually put the 02 sensor in that category as well. The issue with our Jags is that some of the parts are pretty pricey compared to a similar age Ford

Old 12-01-2017, 12:20 PM

hi gents - i use a jag indie thankfully. total costs (things gone wrong and wear and tear) been around £2100 over 1.5 years). i dont have the time to do DIY at the moment as work long hours. Barry - take your point - all cars would have a similar list. my thinking when i bought the jag - was i would rather have somethign i love than pay for leasing a VW golf or something. also - owning a car like a jag, you dont have monthly lease/depreciation etc. so thats one advantage!

take your point barry on parts - some of hte parts i have bought are simply relabeled Toyota parts but at 3x the cost!

Old 12-01-2017, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by blindside
I don't see any costs? Am I missing something...

As far as issues with the Jag, none of us probably bought the Jag for reliability, but more for its BEAUTY... and the car IS 15 years old so you have to take that into consideration when looking at other cars.
yes -i also purchased for the beauty and the smile it puts on my face. also feels that automation is quickly approaching, i think my children won't ever have the chance to drive - they'll be in a moving machine powered by electric..its the last chance to enjoy driving and petrol powered cars perhaps

i realise my year of jag isnt particularly reliable - but how would it compare against a similar car of similar age? say a 911? i hear parts easy to source on 911 but my friend used to have an older Cayenne and things like brake pads were pricey. i also should note i havent owned a car in 12 years (owned a honda civic, honda prelude and vw jetta in my late teens/early 20s - honda's were quite new so not a comparable) so i forget that cars cost $!

Last edited by londonxk8; 12-01-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

I have owned mu 1997 XK8 since new. Other than the normal maintenance fluids, belts, hoses and batteries my major outlay was for transmission overhaul at 98,000 miles (A-drum failure), front wheel bearings, 3 sets of tires and 3 sets of brakes. I am now at 112,000 miles. Over the 20 years I have owned it my repairs are at about $10,000.00.
So for around $500.00 a year I have a smile on my face every time I sit in the drivers seat and fire it up for a spirited romp around town. I wouldn't own anything else.
If you walk out and see your car and it brings a smile to your face, YOU bought the right car.

The following 2 users liked this post by avern1:
NBCat (12-01-2017), toaster (01-27-2018)
Old 12-01-2017, 01:15 PM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

I don't think £2100 over 1.5 years is excessive for the work you have had done, especially as you have been paying for labour. If you bale out now, the next owner benefits from your expenditure but you won't get the added value back in the selling price.

Tyres and brakes are the high ticket jobs on the list but depending on mileage and driving style, won't need re-doing for some time.

Graham

Old 12-01-2017, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by avern1
I have owned mu 1997 XK8 since new. Other than the normal maintenance fluids, belts, hoses and batteries my major outlay was for transmission overhaul at 98,000 miles (A-drum failure), front wheel bearings, 3 sets of tires and 3 sets of brakes. I am now at 112,000 miles. Over the 20 years I have owned it my repairs are at about $10,000.00.
So for around $500.00 a year I have a smile on my face every time I sit in the drivers seat and fire it up for a spirited romp around town. I wouldn't own anything else.
If you walk out and see your car and it brings a smile to your face, YOU bought the right car.
sounds like your ccar is a big part of your last 20 years. amazing you still enjoy it, they are beautiful cars and i hope you have another 20 with it!

The following users liked this post:
avern1 (12-01-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
I don't think £2100 over 1.5 years is excessive for the work you have had done, especially as you have been paying for labour. If you bale out now, the next owner benefits from your expenditure but you won't get the added value back in the selling price.

Tyres and brakes are the high ticket jobs on the list but depending on mileage and driving style, won't need re-doing for some time.

Graham
beautiful XK Graham.

i'll keep it - i was just a bit tired today and then the mechanic told me the (used) throttle body didnt take, but he subsequently called back to say error message is cleared so hopefully i'm back on the road.
you're right - tyres have been the biggest cost and i dont expect to chagne soon.

if i compare my XK costs versus the new land rovers for example that a couple friends have, our cars are a relative bargain. the brakes and amount of electronics in teh new cars mean you're best to lease or have warranty - suppose my car still relatively inexpensive to fix! when i had my new brakes fitted was a newer model aston martin, and the mechanic said the brake change on that model would be a couple thousand (ceramic). so when i paid £500 for discs and pads i didnt feel that bad!

Old 12-01-2017, 02:39 PM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

One of my neighbours asked me how I could afford to drive something without a warranty? I told him that not only was my sixteen year old Jaguar cheaper in cost over the past two years, but it was a whole lot more fun to drive than his Korean econo-box.

I am no longer physically able to do any mechanical work other than basic maintenance, but I do have an indie who I trust and doesn't charge an arm and a leg.

Over the past two years:
1. New battery=$AUD395
2. 4 CATS shocks and upper shock mounts=$AUD2500 (installed)
3. A/C repaired=$AUD1000

So, my XKR has cost in addition to normal servicing, approximately $AUD2000 per year.

Whereas my neighbours new Hyundai has depreciated approximately $AUD18000 in the same period.

I rest my case!

Stu

Old 12-02-2017, 07:18 AM
Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

I also have a 2002 XK8, going on 2 years now. Had to replace a O2 sensor and coolant parts. Doing it myself so only around $150. Still have to replace shocks and bushings in the front end. My Volvo C30 which is only 5 yrs old I have spent more money on. Tires, battery, brakes and now going to replace the timing belt. Having the belt done for $750 as I don't want to take the time. This year I will have spent around $2000 on the Volvo, close to what you have spent on your Jag. Wanted to trade the Volvo in this year, but wife wants to keep it...forever. It's a Polstar mod and cranks out 351 HP. She thinks it will become a classic. Don't think it matters what car you have, after 2 or 3 years your going to have to replace all these items.

Old 12-02-2017, 09:01 AM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

If this becomes a who spent more on repairs challenge, I bet I can win :-(

the upside is my car is now fantastic.

Old 12-02-2017, 04:14 PM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by dsd
If this becomes a who spent more on repairs challenge, I bet I can win :-(

the upside is my car is now fantastic.
Glad to hear that your car is fantastic, but I don't think this is a "who spent more on repairs challenge".

It is probably more likely, "what can one expect in yearly repair costs (in addition to normal maintenance) for a 15-20 year old Jaguar"?

Those of you who can DIY will of course save some $$$ over those of us who have to pay for labour.

In the end, it all comes down to this;

"You buy a car because you love it and enjoy driving it. If you're worried about what you spend on it, then you don't love it enough"!

Stu

Old 12-02-2017, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts
Smile LondonXK8

LondonXK8,

You've bought a Beautiful Car that's close to 16 years old.....but it only has 37,000 miles on it! You have driven about 4,000 Miles....The other Guy drove it 33,000 miles in say 14 years....and what you have just paid for is his repair cost over that period of time and miles....Now drive it for another 33,000 miles so you can get your money back by selling it so someone else can pay for your repair cost as you just did for the other Guy! What you are not thinking about is:
A. What was the cost new compared to what you paid for the Car including the above repairs.......
B. What will you be able to sell it for if you decide to move-on in several years.....also, which body style is it? If it's a Coupe, they are getting "Rare" and good Coupe with low mileage, and yours is low mileage, in say 2026 or so, 10 years. It should be worth much more than you're thinking, as it will be a Collector Car.....

Remember, They only made 1.5 Coupes while making 10 Convertibles...This, of course, is if you bought a Coupe! If not, you should really try to enjoy driving your Convertible.....!

Oh! and finally, you mentioned selling it and buying something else......Hey, do you want to spend all that money all over again? Then you would be stuck driving one of those ugly awful looking VW's or whatever......Which would not make sense nor make you happy!

Be Happy Man! You've got a Jag!

Send us a Photo of it!!!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 01-27-2018, 06:11 AM

BillyClyde- thought I replied just after your post but perhaps i didnt hit subit..
i take your feedback on board - it is a coupe indeed. by 2026 my car may be dead- it sits outside in the humid british climate - so its not in a nice garage like you would have in america.

i enjoy the xk8 very much and will continue to do so. i dont mind spending circa £1k/year to run it - just dont want it to be much more than that! someone on my street just bought and xj8 - always liked those and getting married soon -so perhaps will get rid of the xk8 and try and xj if life changes any more!

ps: out of curiousity - would a pre 2010 xj or xjr be a smilar car to maintain as the xk8? i dont like the new models much but love that 2009 or before

Last edited by londonxk8; 01-27-2018 at 06:15 AM.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

One thing I have learned since owning my 2003 XKR is that if you want a great car its going to cost you.

I have kept every receipt I have been given for parts and work. Last March I totaled them all up. Buying the car was the cheapest bit.

I think it all depends on what you buy the car for. If your buying the car for practical reasons then forget it. A very impractical car because of running costs etc.

If you are buying it as an investment then perhaps its a bit of a hit and miss. Depends on the state of the car and the money you are prepared to spend on its upkeep. If you are just going to keep it legal and 'pretty' then perhaps you have a chance. These cars are going up in value all the time. I could sell mine for considerably more that I originally bought it for. But I have spent more than I would ever get back.

This is my category. Buying for enjoyment. Since buying mine I have spent a great deal of time, and money, going through the car bit by bit. Trying to get it back to original factory standard if not better. Slowly replacing bits that can wear out with new. Removing any and all rust I can find. Right down to literally nut and bolt level. No intention of selling it. Just enjoying the work and seeing the results. Not to mention the sheer joy of driving it.

Of course some purists say something along the lines of "why spend the money if your not going to get it back" my answer is simple. You buy beer and enjoy it but that ends up in the toilet. No profit there. Some have cigarettes and to me that is like burning money. So trying to equate enjoyment with profit as a bit of a non starter.

So my beer and smoke money have gone on my car and to me its money well spent.

If you think I am exaggerating about the 'nut and bolt' level have a read. Franks XKR Story.
Can I suggest though that you do the Photobucket fix first so you can see the pretty pictures. Photobucket Fix.

This is my little car.

Last edited by frankc; 01-27-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:10 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Looking good Frank.

The following users liked this post:
frankc (01-27-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts
Cool Now that's a Beautiful XKR Convertible!

Originally Posted by frankc
One thing I have learned since owning my 2003 XKR is that if you want a great car its going to cost you.

I have kept every receipt I have been given for parts and work. Last March I totaled them all up. Buying the car was the cheapest bit.

I think it all depends on what you buy the car for. If your buying the car for practical reasons then forget it. A very impractical car because of running costs etc.

If you are buying it as an investment then perhaps its a bit of a hit and miss. Depends on the state of the car and the money you are prepared to spend on its upkeep. If you are just going to keep it legal and 'pretty' then perhaps you have a chance. These cars are going up in value all the time. I could sell mine for considerably more that I originally bought it for. But I have spent more than I would ever get back.

This is my category. Buying for enjoyment. Since buying mine I have spent a great deal of time, and money, going through the car bit by bit. Trying to get it back to original factory standard if not better. Slowly replacing bits that can wear out with new. Removing any and all rust I can find. Right down to literally nut and bolt level. No intention of selling it. Just enjoying the work and seeing the results. Not to mention the sheer joy of driving it.

Of course some purists say something along the lines of "why spend the money if your not going to get it back" my answer is simple. You buy beer and enjoy it but that ends up in the toilet. No profit there. Some have cigarettes and to me that is like burning money. So trying to equate enjoyment with profit as a bit of a non starter.

So my beer and smoke money have gone on my car and to me its money well spent.

If you think I am exaggerating about the 'nut and bolt' level have a read. Franks XKR Story.
Can I suggest though that you do the Photobucket fix first so you can see the pretty pictures. Photobucket Fix.

This is my little car.

Frank,

Now that's one good looking XKR....If I had a Convertible, I believe that's the Color combo I would like to have.... I know you must love it! What is that color? Zircon? and Hey Frank, look at those "Montreal's" can't beat those wheels! WOW!
That looks like a great place to put that Beer Money!

Billy Clyde

Old 01-28-2018, 03:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

Thanks Billy. Nice of you to say so.

Yes the colour is Zircon with a Ivory interior. It is the only car I have owned that gets so many compliments when I am out in it. Best of all it drives as good as it looks. Smaller pulley on the supercharger. Better CAT's and Exhaust etc

Sun out. Top down. Music up. Pedal to the floor...... heaven. You don't need beer to get intoxicated.