XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

2000 Jaguar XKR suspension issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 05:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Jaguar XKR suspension issue

I live in Canada and own a 2000 Jaguar XKR Coupe. I'm getting several errors in the message center and I'm not sure what to look at to fix them. Also, there isn't a mechanic in the City I live in that works on Jaguars so I'm stuck figuring this out myself.
1: The ABS light is on and I get an ABS fault message.
2. There is a Suspension Fault message and I'm not sure what to look at to troubleshoot. (I do know there is a suspension module)
3: I'm getting a Trac not available message

I have checked all fuses and have switched around relays to test but it didn't correct the issue. I do know there is wheel speed sensors which I have removed and cleaned. When I drive it, it feels like its "bunny hopping" when I hit bumps. Any help with these issues would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Last edited by Cambo; 03-19-2019 at 06:33 PM. Reason: email address removed
Old 03-19-2019, 10:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,115 Posts

I've seen this with extremely worn wheel bearings, rear in my case. Does it reset with each ignition on off on cycle? Mine did.

I can't comment on the bumpy ride part though.

John

Old 03-20-2019, 06:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,167 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by DarKrum
I live in Canada and own a 2000 Jaguar XKR Coupe. I'm getting several errors in the message center and I'm not sure what to look at to fix them. Also, there isn't a mechanic in the City I live in that works on Jaguars so I'm stuck figuring this out myself.
1: The ABS light is on and I get an ABS fault message.
2. There is a Suspension Fault message and I'm not sure what to look at to troubleshoot. (I do know there is a suspension module)
3: I'm getting a Trac not available message

I have checked all fuses and have switched around relays to test but it didn't correct the issue. I do know there is wheel speed sensors which I have removed and cleaned. When I drive it, it feels like its "bunny hopping" when I hit bumps. Any help with these issues would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
ABS module solder joint fractured maybe. Search will bring up plenty of hits, relatively easy fix.
Can you vouch for the battery?

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 07:45 AM

The battery is brand new. I bought the best I could get less than a month ago

Old 03-20-2019, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,514 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by DarKrum
there isn't a mechanic in the City I live in that works on Jaguars so I'm stuck figuring this out myself.
You might want to spend some time identifying and getting a good Jaguar/Land-Rover scan tool. An OBDII tools is a good start (check ELM327), but you need to have the ability to have the car tell you as much as possible about messages and codes that are specific to the car. Besides helping you figure things out, codes are easy to search on (on this forum or the open Internet). These code readers a a bit pricey, but not bank breaking, and totally worth it in the long run. I have a Foxwell unit, but there are others. A scan tool like this would be able to get into the ABS module and tell you more specifically what is wrong. Some tools even allow to "download" support for more than one brand, with each brand a separate price, but using the same hardware.

If you want to keep poking in the dark, you can start by cleaning the 4 ABS sensors. Next is to examine the wires from the main harness to those same sensors. The front ones typically do not age well and have intermittent contacts, causing error codes. Last, the earlier cars suffer from aging soldering on the main ABS board. It is an "easy" repair, but the module is a bit tricky to extract, and the shell case has to be drilled into for access. There are many posts on this. The good news is that this module is fixable even at home with basic soldering skills. No need for a new unit at untold expense.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,419 Likes on 755 Posts
Default Maybe battery ok but could be connections

The car is very sensitive to low voltage. At start up, for me, the first signs are warning messages for Traction control, suspension and ABS. Car starts fine but message doesn’t go away.

You say you have a new battery but it could be the battery cables, either the negative body connection, or the positive to the junction box. As it’s a zero dollar fix, I would meticulously sand and clean both ends and refix, charge the battery and see.

If not, I would clean the ABS sensors on each wheel, plus the wheel rotors and spray contact cleaner (not WD40) inside the wire connectors..... again a zero dollar fix.

If this doesn’t work I would go to the other suggestions above.

Not sure about the bunny hopping you mention but while running it could be bad wheel bearings that misalign the ABS rotors and sensors.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:21 PM

Thank you for your reply, I will check all that you suggested. When I describe that it's "bunny hopping" it seems that the CATS (suspension) system is not working properly. I've found the ASDM in the trunk but I'm not sure how to test it or if the shocks are getting the proper signal.

Old 03-22-2019, 12:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,419 Likes on 755 Posts
Default Active suspension

i have a base 99 XK8 so no Jag experience on their CATS active suspension, but I do have a Range Rover with it’s endless air suspension problems.

First thing would be to check the electrical connections. Would be on top somewhere placed to avoid road rubbish. Unplug and clean. Then I would check sensors. If that doesn’t work you may need an OBD diagnostic tool which sounds like you’re struggling with where you are.