XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 XK8 Convertible - How To Raise Rear Windows?

Old 10-08-2015, 11:51 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 2005 XK8 Convertible - How To Raise Rear Windows?

Hello everyone. I was lowering the top when the green hydraulic fluid came pouring out from above the rear view mirror where the latch is. I have read where others have had the same issue and understand how to fix it. I do plan on completely replacing the lines.

I put the top up and have it latched. What I want to know is: Is there a simple way to raise the back windows? This would made the car at least easier to keep dry. I can do it but their may be an easier way than me powering the windows manually.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:49 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you tried pressing the top up button? Or have you disabled the top system? The rear windows close as the last operation when closing the top. The system sees that the right hand lift cylinder is fully extended and closes the latch. When the system sees the latch closed it runs the rear window motors for a few seconds. My 2001 XKR has a switch fitted in the center cubby to power them up or down. This was fitted by a former owner. Not needed now but could be handy in a future emergency. I do not think there is a trick sequence to close the rear windows.

Old 10-08-2015, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Did you continue putting the top up hydraulic or did you do it by hand. If by hand you will need to extend the lift cylinder until it is indicating closed before the windows will come back up. Search for threads about manually raising roof.

Old 10-08-2015, 03:15 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

When the roof closes the roof rams are pushed and locked into position once that is done a signal from the ram switch (on the right) tells the computer to transfer the pump pressure to the latch. Because you closed the roof manually the rams were not fully extended and the switch was not activated. You can manually raise the rams by pushing up on the linkage. I will attach a photo of the linkage but my photo is to open you just need to move it in the opposite direction of my arrows. I should mention that when the roof rams are properly extended they lock the roof closed and to open it manually you must release them by pushing down on them as my illustration shows. This locking of the roof prevents the roof from bouncing on the windows that could cause damage to the glass and or the linkage of the windows. Once the roof rams are extended you can power the windows up. You can power the windows up by jumping out the relays for the windows but I recommend against that if you are going to drive the car.

Link http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa...oof%20Rams.jpg
Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

The following users liked this post:
XCrossWindsX (10-08-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 05:56 PM

Thank you. I will start on this over the weekend. I want to go to the beach next week and I want to have the ability to have my top down when I can.

I 'll push until I get the cylinders locked into place.

I am glad I checked this post again I was getting ready to tap a 12 v at the multi connector and run the windows up manually.

I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:40 PM

Just an update. I am having new hydraulic lines made. I have temporarily disconnected the lines at the pump and used hydraulic end caps to close them off. I then refilled the hydraulic fluid to the full mark and all seems to be working fine. I do have to manually open and close the latch but it will do until I get the new lines.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:36 AM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Gus
This frase caught my attention. Care to explain Why it should not be done?

" You can power the windows up by jumping out the relays for the windows but I recommend against that if you are going to drive the car."

Old 11-10-2015, 04:10 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

The roof not being locked it can and will bounce on the window causing damage to the window, window adjustment and its linkage. I have all this information on my webpage. As mentioned in post #4

Gus
www.jagrepair.com