XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 XK8- Covertible top problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 09:11 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 2005 XK8- Covertible top problem

I was out today applying Ragtop to the convertible and I broke it. I open the top just enough for me to slip plastic between the top and the windshield to cover the hood. I then rap plastic around and cover the rest of the car and a small piece that covers the back windshield before I spray.

After spraying the top I then opened the roof just a little to remove the plastic (I did not fully close the top with plastic between). Then I went to close the top fully after removing the plastic. I got a loud pop at the catch and everything stopped.

When I looked at it the top was down hard on the catch but the catch was closed but had not caught the bar. I had to follow the instructions in the manual to release pressure so I could lift up the top enough to be able to use the crank to open the hook and pull the top/down and catch and close the top.

I then close the valve on the pump, checked the (2) fuses in the fuse box. When I press the open/open close switch the windows do as they are supposed to do but the hydraulic motor does nothing.

Where do I go from here?

Old 06-23-2015, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,274 Likes on 2,811 Posts

Sounds to me like you're out of synch on your top opening/closing sequence. Your top's system is confused and has likely shut down as a result. I would attempt to get it back in synch before assuming anything is actually broken. Go to Gus' jagrepair.com website and read up on how to do so....

It is never a good idea to open the top slightly or close the top slightly because you risk throwing your sequence into disarray. Always allow the procedure to fully finish opening or closing to keep the integrity of the system intact....

Last edited by Jon89; 06-23-2015 at 07:49 AM.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:30 PM
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

I just went through a similar situation with my 2005 XK8. Without warning the pump motor just stopped working. Turned out the transient voltage suppressor had split open and shorted out. If that's the problem, it's an easy fix that involves removing the motor from the pump and opening the bell case to expose the armature. On the bottom you'll see the TVS. If it has broken open, there may be a small puddle of oil. Of course, I imagine a TVS could short out without breaking open and leaking. Cut the leads to remove the old one. And solder a replacement into the wire strands of the connector cable just where it enters the motor case.

Last edited by Stamford; 06-23-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:14 PM

Thanks. I have not had the time to mess with the top yet but I will this weekend. My first thought is the switch that tells the roof is completely closed has not been tripped .. (opened or closed). I have not looked at the diagrams yet and do not know yet if the switch opens or closes to indicate the roof is closed. Unless I burned something up when it tried to close I am hoping thats all it is.

There has to be a way of tricking the system into believing all the sensors indicating all is closed and ready to go. If it doesnt work then I have a real problem.

Thanks for the comments.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:19 PM

Thanks everyone. I was able to fix the top. Was the needle valve that was the problem. Once I realized the valve was not screwing tight when I was closing it I new the problem. I just was not thinking. I have a strong engineering background but if you do not work on them then its different.

The following users liked this post:
Gus (06-05-2016)
Old 07-03-2015, 07:58 PM

Congrats on getting your top working properly again. This is no time to have top issues. Tell me, I have not heard the term needle valve used in conjunction with this system. Where is it and what does it do? Thanks!

Old 07-03-2015, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Stamford
Congrats on getting your top working properly again. This is no time to have top issues. Tell me, I have not heard the term needle valve used in conjunction with this system. Where is it and what does it do? Thanks!
That is just the petcock on the pump body the you turn to go to manual override.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:13 PM

Geeze, thanks, Steve. I should have realized that.

Old 06-05-2016, 06:18 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

XCrossWindsX:

I tried the exact same trick, and I locked up my top, too.

2 hours (maybe) to wash, dry and treat the top. 6 hours to recover from my "work-saving" idea:
  • scour the forum for diagnoses and solutions
  • start a new thread
  • apply mosquito repellent
  • disassemble the back seat
  • break for lunch
  • drive to the parts store for a T50 bit
  • check for forum replies
  • disassemble the side trim
  • break to check for forum replies and cool off
  • unlock rams
  • search for interior cleaner and wipe down side trim, console and seats
  • search for missing washer
  • break to cool off
  • finish reassembling the side trim
  • break to cool off and reapply mosquito repellent
  • finish reassembling the back seat
To be fair, a good bit of the time was spent reading to make sure I didn't act too rashly, and searching for the right tools and bits in my embarrassing garage.

At least we didn't have rain today.

Tom

Last edited by tlynch; 06-05-2016 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,274 Likes on 2,811 Posts

Glad it all worked out for you. I also despise working on cars during the miserable summer months. Nothing worse than staying sweat-soaked and dehydrated all day and battling mosquitoes while you're trying to do the job. I'd take autumn and winter weather all year long if I could get it....