XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 XKR driver door problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 XKR driver door problems

Hello to the forum. I'm new here, so please take pity on me.

I have a 2006 Jaguar XKR. After spending $10,000 having the entire suspension rebuilt, I am now having a serious problem involving the driver's door. In short, it seems like the drivers door is not getting any power. The window is stuck in the complete up position, locking the drivers door doesn't lock the passenger door, the drivers door window control doesn't operate either the driver or passenger window, and the mirror control on the drivers door doesn't operate the mirrors.

Below I will bullet the problems and things I've tried to fix the problem - all of which have failed to yield any fixes.

PROBLEM:
- driver's door window is stuck in the up position. the driver's window doesn't drop at all when opening the door. i was able to get out of the car without the window lowering, but now i cannot close the door because the window is stuck in the up position.

- the car seems to think that the drivers door is closed even though it is open. this seems to be the case because, so long as the passenger door and trunk are closed, i can set the alarm with the fob, even though the drivers door is wide open. when i set the alarm, the doors don't lock as they should, but the alarm does set. if i open the passenger door while the alarm is set, the alarm will sound. the interior lights also shut off after removing the key from the ignition while the drivers door is open.

- the mirror control on the drivers door doesn't operate the mirrors.

- the window control on the drivers door doesn't illuminate and also doesn't operate either the drivers window or passenger window. the passenger door window control DOES make the passenger window go up and down.

- in trying to trick the car to lower the drivers window, i put the top down. normally when lowering the top, the driver and passenger windows drop 1/4 of an inch. the drivers window(remember, the drivers door has been ajar this whole time) doesn't drop. all other windows lowered and the top went down. now i the top won't go back up, because in order for the top to go up, ALL windows must be in the complete down position.

ATTEMPTED FIXES:
- replaced fuse that controls drivers side door (fuse #15 which is a 25 volt fuse) this did not fix the problem.

- disconnected the battery by removing the negative connection from the battery terminal. kept it disconnected for several hours in an attempt to reset the battery then reconnected it. this did not fix the problem.

- inserted key in the drivers door to try to trigger the all open feature where all windows go down and top goes down. this did nothing. when trying to lock the door with the physical key, the drivers door will manually lock, but it doesn't impact the passenger door.

I've read that it could be something as "simple" as a loose wire in the driver door window control or as complicated as replacing the micro switch or having to replace the entire lock assembly.

I'm trying not to get raked over the coals to get this fixed. If I cannot fix myself, i have to get the car towed to the shop, because the drivers door won't close and so i can't drive the car on the freeway while attempting to hold the door closed with one hand.

I'm desperate to get this thing fixed and really appreciate any advice and counsel you can provide.

Thank you.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:21 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Welcome to the forum 2006XKR,

I've moved your first post to the forum from the end of pswanson's Intro thread to XK8/XKR forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Graham

Old 05-17-2017, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

That is a truly interesting predicament. Lets try a few simple things first. Open the drivers door and spray a lock lubricant into the mechanism, then exercise the door handles (both inside and outside) a few time to work things around.
The doors have two lock in sequence and that is probably why the passenger door won't lock.
If the lubrication of the micro switches doesn't help then it will be time to look at the wiring going between the body and the door itself. If there is not any apparent damage then it will be time to remove the door card.
Inside the door is the door control module. It is possible for it to vibrate out of it's holder and the connector become loose. It is possible that the module has gone bad or it isn't getting power.
Try the suggestions and I will get a look at the wiring diagrams to see what is needed for a pin point test of the connector.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Even more basic questions, 2006 . . . is this a recent issue after working perfectly? If so, what were the circumstances whereby fault appeared? Or, have you acquired car with this problem?

If the former, the door card should come off to inspect the connectors to switch mechs. Check connector pins for corrosion and also the area where cables curve between A-pillar and door, although with all circuits affected, a chafed or broken wire here is unlikely to cause a total loss of all doorlock, window, and mirror functions.

Have you checked all fuses and drivers door module (power and grounds) against the wiring diagrams?

Best wishes,

Ken

Old 05-19-2017, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006XKR
the drivers door is not getting any power.
Double check the area where the wiring harness comes off the door in the general hinge area. There is a funky connector there that might have to be inspected, cleaned up and put back together. Check the wiring diagram, locate the power/ground wires and check them with a meter at that connector.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:28 PM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

I had the EXACT same thing happen on my car today. The past month or so I noticed that my jag wrangler auto top function was not working, then last week I had a few issues with the alarm acting goofy, then today I went to put the window up and nothing. Pass door worked fine but nothing on the driver side. No auto door locks, no key operated top, alarm worked but the doors didn't physically lock.

I cleaned all the contacts on the door jamb connector then took off the door card, removed the door control module and found that the thick brown wire that I tapped into for the JW top control module had severed the wire. I soldered it back, attached the wire to the top control (solder, no posi-tap) put it all back toghether, did a battery reset and everything works as it should, top works, alarm, door locks, etc., all back to normal.

I suggest you start with fuses first then focus on the door module (inside the door above the speaker).

Keep us posted