Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adaptive cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 06:24 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Adaptive cruise control

Hey,
Could someone post a photo of the switch for adaptive cruise control, I'm in the market for a x100 and would like to be able to quickly determine wether the car has adaptive cruise control or not.
Thanks!

Old 05-13-2017, 08:19 AM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Standard Cruise Control:

Adaptive cruise control-cruise.jpg

Selection switch on the Centre Console and four buttons on the Steering Wheel.

Adaptive Cruise Control:

Adaptive cruise control-acc.jpg

Two additional buttons on the Steering Wheel to increase and decrease the gap.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
David7 (05-13-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 09:04 AM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

So, single button on center console is adaptive? I was backwards. Thanks.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Yes; Adaptive Cruise Control loses its central console switch (leaving just the single Sport mode switch); but gains the 2 additional switches to the right side and below the cruise set switchpack in the right quadrant of steering wheel - as pictured by Graham.

Cheers,

Ken

David7 (05-13-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

A word to the wise ...................... if you are **** enough to read posts on this forum which have no relevance to your own vehicle (i.e. me !!) ............ you will have second-hand knowledge that the adaptive speed control uses a sort-of radar module which sits in the front of the car, gets sprayed with water and crud, and costs roughly the same as a three-bedroom apartment to replace when it goes wrong.

You don't say but ............. if you live in Florida where it only rains once every century, then no big deal. If you live in a small village in the UK not far from the sea, I would opt for a car with "just" the standard cruise control.

Redline (05-14-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 01:48 PM
GGG

I had ACC on my 2005 XK8 and it's also on my current XK.

For more than a year we had 30 miles of roadworks on the A1(M) motorway going south with a 50 mph camera enforced speed limit and the traffic is always horrendous. It's the only place I use cruise control and only once used the ACC. It's a weird sensation having the car apply the brakes.

Graham

Old 05-13-2017, 04:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I live in central Europe and have about 150 mile one-way trip every weekend, and feel like adaptive cruise control would be a huge improvement over standard one - especially with it being the one that actually applies brakes too.

Only piece of info I haven't managed to find yet - can you use it in slow traffic? Will it resume driving, in case it stops behind a vehicle that then proceeds to move?

Old 05-13-2017, 05:57 PM
Received 227 Likes on 169 Posts

No, it drops out below 18mph

Old 05-14-2017, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by DevonDavid
....... if you live in Florida where it only rains once every century....
You must be thinking about California. We get a LOT of rain here in Florida.

Your point still stands about the ACC and its frailty. Mine developed an issue on our last road trip. Have not had a chance to look into it yet.

When it works it is a nice feature for sure. I have never tested it in your complete stop scenario. One note is that it will seriously apply the brakes if another car moves into the gap.

Last edited by rothwell; 05-14-2017 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:08 AM
Veteran Member

I love it . . . have it on both XK8 and S-Type, neither having any water induced problems despite neither having learned to swim . . . BUT . . . and there is always a but . . . my love is based on predominantly long country highway trips, and investing lots of time and practice learning how to use it effectively and how to avoid those scenarios that can be quite daunting when unexpected.

The added steering wheel switches seen in Graham's post are used to set the "gap" . . . but commonly overlooked or poorly understood by most drivers. By default on both my ACC equipped Jaguars and a couple more I either work on or know, and irrespective of subsequent changes, each drive cycle resets the "gap" to maximum distance (sorta like max "sensitivity"). Normally, even on sweeping bends, the Jags will ignore a far slower car in adjacent lane . . . brilliant, sorta like seeing around corners, but . . .

Depending on speed and separation, this can produce rapid deceleration of your car when a far slower car changes into your lane, despite being quite some distance ahead. Unnerving for you perhaps . . . but downright frightening for the chap following you, who is now clambering up your exhaust pipes and wondering what the *+*+* you are doing! Adjusting your ACC "gap" avoids the issue.

Cheers,

Ken

Charbinjr (06-07-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 06:04 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy
I love it . . . . . . my love is based on predominantly long country highway trips .....
I'm sure Cruise Control and ACC are useful on long open roads but we just don't have those here in the UK.

The UK is less than one third of the size of New South Wales but we have 36.7 million vehicles on our roads. I couldn't find the figure for NSW alone but the total for Australia in the January 2016 census was only 18.4 million vehicles.

Graham

Old 05-16-2017, 05:33 AM
Veteran Member

I realize the differences Graham as, from numerous visits up to 10yrs ago, I came to know UK well . . . which is why I made a point of highlighting my perspective compared to you Europeans (oops, Brits). Number of NSW registered vehicles is probably irrelevant to my patch also . . . perhaps 1 in 3 is a Qld vehicle, with Brisbane just a 1,000Km day trip to Sydney and cities like Coffs Harbour and Armidale about half way between the two.

I guess the preponderance of ACC fitted Jaguars into Oz reflects that . . . although there is some evidence that after the dark BL era, our market was seen as "the land demanding every option available".

Cheers,

Ken

Old 05-22-2017, 09:59 AM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Adaptive Cruise switch pics

Originally Posted by David7
Hey,
Could someone post a photo of the switch for adaptive cruise control, I'm in the market for a x100 and would like to be able to quickly determine weather the car has adaptive cruise control or not.
Thanks!
Here are two pics for how you can tell if the car has adaptive cruise. One is the extra distance control buttons on the steering wheel and the second is a button on the lower knee bolster next to the Valet button for the "Forward Alert" warning feature that also uses the radar module for the adaptive cruise (ACC). This button sometimes is easier to spot in pics on car sales websites than the ones on the steering wheel. If the buttons not there it will be blank or have a vent there.

Most descriptions that I have seen on the websites don't even note that the car has adaptive cruise. Probably because its rare and they don't know how to tell its there. I love using it on the interstates once I got used to it.

Attached Thumbnails Adaptive cruise control-adaptive-cruise-control-buttons.jpg   Adaptive cruise control-adaptive-cruise-front-hazard-warning.jpg  
Old 05-22-2017, 10:12 AM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

With the ACC, as they say....

Old 05-22-2017, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by athiker81
With the ACC, as they say....

Athiker81,

The little button by your knee will scare the crap out of you! You forget the thing is on and you get into traffic and then "BRAKES COME ON"! and the smell seems like it will never go away!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 05-22-2017, 11:10 PM
Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

I HATE it! My wife's Volvo has this god awful device. If your in cruise control going 5 mph faster than the car in front of you, as you catch it up your car gradually slows until its at the same speed as the car in front. No warnings no beeps, no chirps, no frieking nothing, and just holds station 50 feet back.
Sometimes it takes a while until you notice, and you say to yourself, "How come I haven't overtaken this slow coach?" Then you realize, pull out into the next clear lane, and off you go back up to the speed you set the CC. Really annoying!
Regards,

Old 05-25-2017, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member

White Bear,

I would rather just have the plain old Cruise Control.....One of the Jaguar Dealers here in Houston stopped ordering the his new cars with ACC as he felt it was dangerous....
Tell me more about your Cardinal. I assume is it an RG? Back in 1972, I was in a Partnership with 3 other Guys with one....Loved it! We had to put an electric trim-tab on it as when we got it we all wore out our right arms running the wheel up and down doing touch & goes! Looked like a cripple stork, when the gear came down but it was a good little bird and just fast enough.....One of the Guys had flown Mustangs during WWII and he loved flying it! I did too but not the way he flew! WOW!!! It was fun trying to learn some of those moves....

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 05-25-2017, 09:27 PM
Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Billy,
I agree completely on the cruise control!
Re the Cardinal:
Not a retract, I didn't want to deal with the expense, or be one those pilots who will eventually land with the wheels up.
Engine is a Lycoming 0360 (6.0 liters) 180 bhp, 10 gallons an hour consumption, Cruise speed in dead air 140 mph. 60 gallons capacity, 3 bladed prop, custom leather interior, 4 seats
This aircraft has two features, it's low to the ground, and has two doors, so it's easy to get in and out of, and it has lots of room for both front and rear passengers.
So 14 mpg at 140 mph, not too bad!

Last edited by White Bear; 05-25-2017 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:22 PM
Received 211 Likes on 119 Posts

ACC is a comfort feature, not a safety feature, as it will not apply emergency braking (thank goodness!). I love it. The real danger is when you drive a car with normal cruise control and forget that it isn't aware of what is in front!

Old 05-26-2017, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member

Hey White Bear, That's a good looking Girl....Is the Cardinal still the only Cessna that you can look straight up in? I love the way it looks...smooth, no struts.....I enjoyed the RG, after we got the Electric Trim tab......way to much weight distribution and drag when the gear goes down not to have it.....Apparently, you don't have that problem so much with the regular gear! Never flown a fixed gear one but I love yours just sitting there ready to go!

BC