Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aftermarket radio upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 05:07 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default aftermarket radio upgrade

Hi,

I'm thinking of upgrading my car radio ( stock '98 XK8 non-premium audio, cassette player, cd multi-changer ) to give me bluetooth audio. I want it to still work with the steering wheel controls. I'm not bothered about the CD changer working, but I do want the radio to work ( powered antenna ).

I believe I have to buy one of these to get a single DIN slot

Then just buy any head unit (e.g.) that takes my fancy that supports steering wheel controls, buy a car stereo removal tool ( two metal sticks ). I also assume I'll have to buy an aftermarket wiring harness.

I've not done this for a long time, is there anything I'm missing here? I'm thinking it'll probably cost me about £50 plus a head unit.

So my questions are:

How do I determine which after market wiring harness I'll need.
Is that all I need ( facia plate, head unit, harness ) ?

Is there anything I haven't considered?

The process is just slide out old head unit with tool, plug in harness, slide in new head unit?

Old 08-09-2016, 05:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

Lots of people have tried. A few have changed their head units. Non really look 'Jagaur' if you know what I mean.

As for using the steering wheel controls that too seems to be very problematic. I have often thought about doing it myself but after seeing others attempts I gave it up as a bad job.

The Alpine sound system gives terrific sound quality, make sure you dont loose that.

Take a look. The replacement head unit is in the right place but would you want that in your Jag?

Also http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=78860

Last edited by frankc; 08-09-2016 at 05:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mrobinson (08-09-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 05:44 AM

Thanks, I might try buying just the fascia first and see if it's going to look terrible or not. It's just the small old cassette player - there's no satnav screen to play with or anything like that,

The sound is currently awful anyway as I'm using one of those cassette adapters.

Process wise, and products to buy, am I on the right track?

( My car hasn't broken down for a while, and the car repair savings account has quite a bit of money in it, so I want to treat my car for good behaviour )

Old 08-09-2016, 06:05 AM
Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Actually, many members have successfully converted to modern audio systems with bluetooth, iPhone, etc... If you search the forum you'll find many threads on audio upgrades.
I have successfully upgraded to a 'state of the art" Alpine unit while maintaining the existing amp and speakers. The steering wheel control is a very easy and straightforward mod.
As far as the upgraded look is concerned...I think my installation looks great and blends nicely with my Jaguar interior. All the necessary fascia pieces are readily available.

The following 2 users liked this post by sg18438:
BurgXK8 (08-14-2016), mrobinson (08-09-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 06:21 AM

I'm sure I've searched for this before and just found people suggesting Parrot.

Anyway, for future readers, I've just found this thread, which seems to cover exactly what I want:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ontrols-56937/

b6283 (06-25-2019)
Old 08-09-2016, 06:38 AM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Being the cheap and generally lazy SOB that I am, I tried several Bluetooth adapters and settled on this one. BC08 FM Transmitter Bluetooth Player Car Kit Dual USB Charger Handsfree MP3 Sale - Banggood.com

It syncs bluetooth music from my cell, and phone calls from my cell and the volume controls on the radio and steering wheel all work. It's even got USB sockets so one of these days I'll get my mirror mounted camera to work.

It's not as elegant but works pretty damn well.....did I mention cheap at about $11.

mrobinson (08-09-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Computer Budda
Being the cheap and generally lazy SOB that I am, I tried several Bluetooth adapters and settled on this one. BC08 FM Transmitter Bluetooth Player Car Kit Dual USB Charger Handsfree MP3 Sale - Banggood.com

It syncs bluetooth music from my cell, and phone calls from my cell and the volume controls on the radio and steering wheel all work. It's even got USB sockets so one of these days I'll get my mirror mounted camera to work.

It's not as elegant but works pretty damn well.....did I mention cheap at about $11.
The FM transmitters I've tried haven't worked very well. Perhaps it's due to the lack of available FM radio spectrum around here, I'm not sure.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:54 AM
hm1
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by mrobinson
Hi,

I'm thinking of upgrading my car radio ( stock '98 XK8 non-premium audio, cassette player, cd multi-changer ) to give me bluetooth audio. I want it to still work with the steering wheel controls. I'm not bothered about the CD changer working, but I do want the radio to work ( powered antenna ).

I believe I have to buy one of these to get a single DIN slot

Then just buy any head unit (e.g.) that takes my fancy that supports steering wheel controls, buy a car stereo removal tool ( two metal sticks ). I also assume I'll have to buy an aftermarket wiring harness.

I've not done this for a long time, is there anything I'm missing here? I'm thinking it'll probably cost me about £50 plus a head unit.

So my questions are:

How do I determine which after market wiring harness I'll need.
Is that all I need ( facia plate, head unit, harness ) ?

Is there anything I haven't considered?

The process is just slide out old head unit with tool, plug in harness, slide in new head unit?
All upgrade options will leave huge ugly gaps around your radio, if you can live with that -- go for it. Crutchfield has the plug in kits and they usually have good deals

mrobinson (08-09-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by hm1
All upgrade options will leave huge ugly gaps around your radio, if you can live with that -- go for it. Crutchfield has the plug in kits and they usually have good deals
From what I can tell, this covers those gaps:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 08-09-2016, 07:04 AM
hm1

Originally Posted by mrobinson
From what I can tell, this covers those gaps:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
You can only tell once installed. Look at any xk8 with an aftermarket radio

Old 08-09-2016, 07:45 AM
Received 268 Likes on 200 Posts

I chose to retain the head unit (I much prefer the 'standard' look), build a cable to take the low-level outputs from the head unit to an amp in the boot and swap all the speakers for better ones. The change in quality was incredible.
I installed a dab module that feeds into the stereo and has an aux input, with the aux lead run to the centre cubby box.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:11 AM

i can only attest to the fact that the current Alpine upgrade technology provides a much improved and diverse listening experience.
Check out the various pics on the forum of finished upgrades and you can see that alleged "gaps" and poor appearance are really not an issue.

The following 2 users liked this post by sg18438:
blindside (08-09-2016), BurgXK8 (08-14-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 09:26 AM
hm1

Originally Posted by sg18438
i can only attest to the fact that the current Alpine upgrade technology provides a much improved and diverse listening experience.
Check out the various pics on the forum of finished upgrades and you can see that alleged "gaps" and poor appearance are really not an issue.

Show one clean aftermarket install, I'd really be interested in seeing it

Old 08-09-2016, 01:46 PM
Received 285 Likes on 172 Posts

mrobinson - You are going to need more than just that Nexxia item... you ALSO will need to buy the radio fascia from an early 1997 xk8 - Read through MY posts HERE on page 5 and HERE ALSO, then also read through the entire posts... if you have any specific questions, please let me know.

As far as the steering wheel controls, mine works FLAWLESSLY with the Metra Axxess ASWC-1...

My new stereo may not look factory perfect but it looks VERY NICE (SEE HERE) and sounds AWESOME! My stereo is now in the 21st century with hands-free calling, bluetooth, aux-in, USB, etc...

I would say go for it...

mrobinson (08-10-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 02:38 PM
hm1

Originally Posted by blindside
mrobinson - You are going to need more than just that Nexxia item... you ALSO will need to buy the radio fascia from an early 1997 xk8 - Read through MY posts HERE on page 5 and HERE ALSO, then also read through the entire posts... if you have any specific questions, please let me know.

As far as the steering wheel controls, mine works FLAWLESSLY with the Metra Axxess ASWC-1...

My new stereo may not look factory perfect but it looks VERY NICE (SEE HERE) and sounds AWESOME! My stereo is now in the 21st century with hands-free calling, bluetooth, aux-in, USB, etc...

I would say go for it...
If your okay having the Walmart special look, this is the way to go. This is exactly the type of installs I'm talking about..

Old 08-09-2016, 02:45 PM
hm1

This is how it's done, totally imperceptible install. It's rocking a Samsung note 4 with automate app. It's got everything, butter smooth software. It actually makes Jaguars new software in its 2016 model cars feel old.

Customizable skins

Google maps

Leaper on startup

BurgXK8 (08-14-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 02:58 PM

Here's the 1st pic I found (smoggy). Would you like mayo on your crow sandwich?

Old 08-09-2016, 03:02 PM
hm1

Yes please, extra mayo

How it actually looks, ghetto fabulous

Old 08-09-2016, 03:04 PM
hm1

A better look at this beauty

Old 08-10-2016, 09:27 AM
Received 285 Likes on 172 Posts

hm1's just a hater... don't pay any attention to him. His setup WOULD be nice if he got rid of those mickey mouse nav buttons that don't work anymore... but to each his own.

Quick Reply: aftermarket radio upgrade