XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air or not air?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 06:26 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Air or not air?

My brother found a 06 victory XKR with "all the service records." None of them say anything about whether it has had problems with the the air bag struts. Seller wants huge ridiculous money for this thing. A page I looked up states the car has "coil springs with dampers" so is this an air system like my xl8 sedan had on it and which failed and which was replaced with coil-overs? A XK8 not supercharged from same year I looked at last year had little air lines going to front struts so I assumed it had air struts so please provide the facts so we know what to expect down the road if my brother buys this thing. Thank you. --Tom in AZ

Old 12-23-2017, 07:06 PM
Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

The XKR does not have air suspension like on your x350. The lines going to the struts on the XKR are for the CATS (computer active technology suspension) active damping system, similar to how the CATS air springs on your x350 worked, minus the air function. All the x100 models have coil over strut suspension. The supercharged models during this Jaguar era had CATS damping (XKR and S Type R). The base XK8 and S Type did not have active damping, therefore no lines to the struts.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts
Question Another "Victory Edition"

Originally Posted by thomash85715
My brother found a 06 victory XKR with "all the service records." None of them say anything about whether it has had problems with the the air bag struts. Seller wants huge ridiculous money for this thing. A page I looked up states the car has "coil springs with dampers" so is this an air system like my xl8 sedan had on it and which failed and which was replaced with coil-overs? A XK8 not supercharged from same year I looked at last year had little air lines going to front struts so I assumed it had air struts so please provide the facts so we know what to expect down the road if my brother buys this thing. Thank you. --Tom in AZ
Tom,

I have a 2005 XKR with the "R" Performance Package which I believe is the best that Jaguar offered in 2005 - 2006....and it does not have Air assist or any thing other than Springs and Shocks......Sounds like someone has modified this XKR and is having problems with it! Also, you want to make sure this XKR is a true "Victory" as that should add some to the value of the car. How many miles does it have? Has it been in a wreck? Which wheels are on it?

Let us know what comes down!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 12-23-2017, 11:16 PM

Need to clarify something here; I have not seen this car in person. My brother did and drove it around and wants it badly. I am just trying to make sure it is not a pig in a poke. A previous car he never saw but I did had lines going to the front struts and I think it was an XKR but not a victory. So that must have been CATS paraphernalia. This one likely has little lines going to its struts too for CATS so I don't think anybody has modified anything. This thing has 46K on it and the seller claims it has never had any accidents or trouble. It has 19" rims with jaguar emblem but the spare is a 18". I told my brother that if the thing has any kind of positraction or limited slip he cannot drive around on the 18" spare and a 19" rim on the other side for any distance at all. The seller has a set of 18" rims he says "came with the car" he will sell but not give with the deal. I do not know if this has an extra performance package. We have the VIN; is there a character for that? I guess I figured all XKR and certainly all Victory cars would have ultimate handling package; in other words not an option but standard. Thank you for help with this.

Old 12-24-2017, 09:57 AM
Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

I don't think I would worry too much about the tire situation. I can only recall one blow-out in the past thirty years. Ten years ago I blew out a front tire on one of California's infamous potholes and I just called AAA and had them tow it to a tire shop.

Old 12-24-2017, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

It has 19" rims with jaguar emblem but the spare is a 18". I told my brother that if the thing has any kind of positraction or limited slip he cannot drive around on the 18" spare and a 19" rim on the other side for any distance at all.
What matters is the outside tire diameter, not the size of the wheel itself. Jaguar offers several wheel sizes, but all net result with tires on should fall within a few percents. The speedometer is not adjustable. All the standard combinations are printed under the lid of the armrest.

The other concern is clearance for the big Brembo brakes. Some 18" wheels satisfy this requirement ("Hydra" style for sure, possibly the "Ares" style as well). The other option is the space-saving style, but it needs to be the model specially designed for big brakes.

Post pictures if you want more specific help.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 12-25-2017, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Just my thoughts but if the seller changed the rims the original stock rims should be included in the sale. What kind of crazy money are we talking about? An 06 Victory XKR should be worth around 15 to 18 K.

Old 12-25-2017, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Exclamation The Victory - Edition XKR 2006 -

Need to clarify something here; I have not seen this car in person. My brother did and drove it around and wants it badly. I am just trying to make sure it is not a pig in a poke. A previous car he never saw but I did had lines going to the front struts and I think it was an XKR but not a victory. So that must have been CATS paraphernalia. This one likely has little lines going to its struts too for CATS so I don't think anybody has modified anything. This thing has 46K on it and the seller claims it has never had any accidents or trouble. It has 19" rims with jaguar emblem but the spare is a 18". I told my brother that if the thing has any kind of positraction or limited slip he cannot drive around on the 18" spare and a 19" rim on the other side for any distance at all. The seller has a set of 18" rims he says "came with the car" he will sell but not give with the deal. I do not know if this has an extra performance package. We have the VIN; is there a character for that? I guess I figured all XKR and certainly all Victory cars would have ultimate handling package; in other words not an option but standard. Thank you for help with this.
ThomasH

The "V-E" 2006 XK8 - XKR is a Regular XK Coupe or Convertible with the Regular XK Parts and some Special "V-E" parts. Example: The Tail-Light Lens have been changed so that the upper part on the Lens is "Crystal" looking and the bottom part is a much Darker Red which outlines the (3) circles for the (3) lower Bulbs to show through.....Also, they have a different Emblem on the Front, which has the Growler outlined in White with a wreath. There are other items but these are the quick "recon" items to check for...Apparently, your Brother has already made that determination......If it is an XKR, I think it will come with the "R" performance package automatically. (CATS)

Now the Wheels are a different story, as they can come in several different styles and sizes. (Example) The 2006 "V-E" came with:
18" Hydra (F&R), 18" Centuar (F&R), 17"Gemini (F&R), 20" Detroit (F&R), 20' Montreal (F&R), 20" Paris (F&R), 18" Aris (F&R), 19" Atlas (F&R), 20" Sepang (F&R), 19" Apollo (F&R) & 20" RX2 (F&R). If the Gentleman in Arizona has changed the Wheels to some other Brand or Size then the "V-E" ceases to be a true "V-E"! Therefore, if he has the Wheels and wants to charge for them, your Brother has this to fall back on!!!

Also, there was something about the Spare Wheel being an 18"! Normally, the space-saver Spare Wheel that is in the Boot relates to the size of the original wheels and if it has Brembo brakes or not.....In other words, there are several different sizes and configurations for the Space-saver Wheel. My XKR has 20" Montreal's and Brembo's and the wheel it's self is shaped to fit all (4) wheels (Brembo's in this case) along with being 20"....What this means is the Wheels that came on this "V-E" were 18" Wheels and the Owner confirms this by telling your brother that he has a set of 18" Wheels for sale......Those are the original wheels that came on the car......" He's just trying to get his money back for the 19"er's he bought.

Hope this helps bring a little light to the subject......I would love to see a Photo of the Jag as I'm sure everyone else would also!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 12-26-2017, 10:25 AM

Hi Guys: If you go to autotrader and search for 2006 xkr near zip code 85281, you should see this thing come up. There are pictures of the car with I assume current wheels installed then another fuzzy picture taken in the past with different rims. There is a closeup of the rear lens showing details as described above I am rather certain. But the price is way over any reasonable range I have found in my research. Thank you.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:50 AM
Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

It sounds like this is the car you are looking at:

https://m.autotrader.com/cars-for-sa...5D%5D%5B%5D%5D

It looks like a Victory Edition and it appears to be in good condition in the pictures, but that price is sky high.

Old 12-26-2017, 11:12 AM
Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Here is a 2010 in my area for about the same price. I would pass on the one your looking at.
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=192357719

Old 12-26-2017, 01:56 PM

Thank you for the CA one but my brother likes the older body and he does not want a convertible. And also thank you for confirming the AZ one is priced too high.

Old 12-26-2017, 02:14 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Thank you for the CA one but my brother likes the older body and he does not want a convertible. And also thank you for confirming the AZ one is priced too high.
A 2006 VE Convertible sold on Bring a Trailer for $10,357, this month. For $30k the car should be 100 point concourse car with essentially delivery miles. The cars are just not worth that much.

-dsd

Old 12-26-2017, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Cool This is the "Real Thing"

Thomash,

I found it on "Auto-Trader" by using the Zip-Code...There's also a couple more XK's on the add also....One is an XKR Coupe, also Ebony with 47,000 or so miles with 20" Detroit's and they are both up in the $24,000. or so price range.......

This is in fact a 2006 Jaguar XKR "Victory Edition" Coupe/Ebony-with Black Interior....It has the Carbon/Fiber Dash, the White with the Wreath Nose Emblem and as the Photos show; the wrong Wheels! but as you go through the photos toward the end the correct wheels show-up......The 20" Sepang Wheels are the ones he wants to sell....He has bought some Ugly old Chrome Wheels and wants to get his money back.....I can't tell about the Tail-Lights but there is no question, this is a "Victory-Edition"!

Really good looking Jag! Good mileage 45,000 or so! Worth about $19,000 or so! Why? Because it's a "V-E" and the Mileage is fairly low! Need to check it out for any Collision problems that may have happened. But right now very Max, if in perfect condition with the original Sepang Wheels back on the Car with new Tires.........$24,000.00, as it looks like a keeper!

These XKR Coupes are "Classics"! Remember, they built about 1 to every 8 or 9 Convertibles and they are now 12 years old. Not many of them left that are quality cars.....

Billy Clyde in Houston

Last edited by bcprice36; 12-26-2017 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Added something