XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BG Synthetic ATF for the 5HP24. Good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 07:23 PM
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts
Default BG Synthetic ATF for the 5HP24. Good idea?

They say it's compatible with the 5HP24 transmission (same as Audi, VW, BMW, etc.) Anybody ever use it?

http://www.bgprod.com/blendr/syntheticATF.html

Old 03-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Default also....

...is it also true that the 5HP24 needs to be filled at a certain temperature in order to properly ascertain correct fluid level? Sounds right.

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/vie...hp?f=2&t=32142

Notice one poster there said ZF Australia actually recommended the fluid in that transmission be changed every 40,000 kilometers (25k miles, approximately). That's much more frequently than I've ever heard.

If it needs to be done that often, it would be nice to use a cheaper fluid like BG.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:53 AM
ud
Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

I've done a number of 5HP24 changes using Castrol multi vehicle import ATF starting with my own 5HP24. I've also done a few 6HP26 trans fluid changes using Mobile 1 full Synthetic ATF, again, first in my own 6HP26. These transmissions have thousands of miles on them with no returns or complaints.

I do not buy into the Esso or lifeguard exclusivity requirement as a technical argument only as an exclusive marketing arrangement with ZF.

I recommend 50K drain/change/filter change intervals for my customers. Yes, both of these transmissions have a temperature threshold requirement for proper fluid level. Actually all automatic transmissions have this requirement, even the ones with a dipstick.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:25 PM

Sounds like that Mobil 1 and Castrol multi would work, since it lists the same spec as the Esso/Jag fluid (LT71141). Thanks.

Last edited by BurgXK8; 03-07-2010 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the mobil 1 as well, works just fine.... and yes, fill it hot.... I used a 2 gallon bug sprayer to pump it in (remove the spray nozzle) and an infrared thermometer to monitor the transmission temp. Putting the plug back in is very hot for the fingers since the exhaust is so close.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:56 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Sorry but unlike you I like the idea staying with what the car calls for. When it comes to hydraulics I continue to use the suggested products. I have seen several problems develop from the wrong or synthetic products. Most common problem are the leaks that develop and the seals that are not compatible. When my transmission was flushed and rebuild it was the recommendation of my Transmission repair man Tom to reinstall the manufactures suggested product and we did.

For the record I am a big fan of BG products that many on this forum can tell you and Mobil 1, Castrol & Pennzoil.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:49 PM
ud
Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by BurgXK8
Sounds like that Mobil 1 and Castrol multi would work, since it lists the same spec as the Esso/Jag fluid (LT71141). Thanks.
Yes, you'll do just fine with the castrol in the 5hp24 if that's what you're driving, or Mobil 1 in the 6HP26. Just do the change. Too many agonize over whether they should or not and what to use that they end up doing the damage by doing nothing. Dealers can only recommend what the factory dictates. The factory has establsihed a remove/replace policy at the unit level, little to no repairs or service at the unit level (think environmental). So, when you hear - "leave it alone unless it is not working correctly" is in essence the same as saying "Drive it until it fails, then replace it with a new one". Most that I do work for are not in the position to be replacing transmissions at $7,000 a unit and would rather do more preventative maintenance with the hope of extending service life.

The phenomenally expensive dealer fluid is simply not necessary, just as the dealer costly anti-freeze is not necessary if you understand the fluid chemical compositions and their commercial replacements. I fully get those who insist on using the dealer or factory brand fluids, and I do not try to push my customers into something they're not comfortable using. They can spend their money as they please. However, for those trying to maintain these cars in a more affordable way, there are viable alternatives.

To really understand the exclusive requirements made by the manufacturers regarding these fluids, the focus needs to be on marketing not technology. There is an assumption that Esso has developed some magic transmission formula that stumps the rest of the petroleum industry. The Esso syn formula for the 5HP24 was developed in 1995, almost 15 years ago. Both Castrol multi-vehicle and Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF are much newer formulas and more than meet the specifications.

Just do it - You'll be glad you did!

Old 03-07-2010, 09:26 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I have researched this subject ad nauseam and have reached the same conclusion. Moreover, Ford, yes Ford, uses the ZF 6HP26 in several of it's vehicles and specifies Mercon SP fluid. After finally getting my hands on MSDS data for the Sell Oil Company fluid and the Mercon SP they look to be equivalent. They appear to have the same density, viscosity, dynamic values, color and flash point. Mercon SP can be purchased for about 1/7 of the cost of the "magic elixer". And, as Stevetech has noted other alternatives are out there. The Shell formular and Mercon SP are notable for their high flash point, lower density and additional friction modifiers. I have stopped short of actually having both fluids analyzed by GC/MS, but I suspect they are the same or very similar. Before you make your own choice you should evaluate the alternatives based on their respective MSDS data.

Cheers

Tim V.

The following users liked this post:
Reverend Sam (02-19-2011)
Old 03-07-2010, 09:48 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldlion
I have researched this subject ad nauseam and have reached the same conclusion. Moreover, Ford, yes Ford, uses the ZF 6HP26 in several of it's vehicles and specifies Mercon SP fluid. After finally getting my hands on MSDS data for the Sell Oil Company fluid and the Mercon SP they look to be equivalent. They appear to have the same density, viscosity, dynamic values, color and flash point. Mercon SP can be purchased for about 1/7 of the cost of the "magic elixer". And, as Stevetech has noted other alternatives are out there. The Shell formular and Mercon SP are notable for their high flash point, lower density and additional friction modifiers. I have stopped short of actually having both fluids analyzed by GC/MS, but I suspect they are the same or very similar. Before you make your own choice you should evaluate the alternatives based on their respective MSDS data.

Cheers

Tim V.
That is what I am talking about. Kudos to you!

Old 02-18-2011, 10:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
Sorry but unlike you I like the idea staying with what the car calls for. When it comes to hydraulics I continue to use the suggested products. I have seen several problems develop from the wrong or synthetic products. Most common problem are the leaks that develop and the seals that are not compatible. When my transmission was flushed and rebuild it was the recommendation of my Transmission repair man Tom to reinstall the manufactures suggested product and we did.

For the record I am a big fan of BG products that many on this forum can tell you and Mobil 1, Castrol & Pennzoil.
I'm with you, Gus. that's why I had the trans service done at the dealer with jaguar Parts. Gotta admit that the $62 per quart for factory ATF was an un-welcome surprise though.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:49 AM

Still going with an unintended mix of Mobil 1 and Castrol synthetic fluid since about July or so. Both fluids meet the same LT71141 spec; car shifts fine. I'm sure I have some original fluid floating around in there too, as it's pretty difficult (as well as unadvisable, people say) to do a complete tranny flush.

Funny thing is if the tranny fails it'll be "See? We told you so!" but if I did nothing and it failed anyway I'd get the same "See? We told you so!" from the peanut gallery-!

Old 02-19-2011, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldlion

Cheers

Tim V.

THANK YOU!!!

I've been tempted to change my transmission fluid, filter, magnets, etc., but the cost of the transmission fluid was putting me off. I just did some research to verify what you said about the 6HP26 transmission being used in Fords, and you're correct! It is used in Lincoln Navigators and some other Ford trucks! It's the same transmission and Ford specs the Mercon SP, which you can buy for less than $5 per quart!

This subject has come up numerous times since I've been a member here, and there are always two camps; the people who insist on sticking with factory spec and the ones who say that other ATF fluids are acceptable. This is the first time (that I have read) where someone has actually done the research, shown what other vehicles use the same transmission, and shown what fluid is specified on those cars. That's AWESOME!

Old 02-19-2011, 02:31 PM
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

The major failure in the 5HP24 seems to be from metal fatigue of the A/B drums, not from lubrication/ friction problems. Our local tranny shop won't use anything but OEM, my opinion is equivalent spec or better is fine.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:11 PM

I have read through the new posts to an old question I asked here a mouth ago. I have done my own research and have come to the same conclusion with one difference. Esso LT1141 is not the solution it is the problem. A service bulletin from jaguar has the fluid replaced. I only have a jag part number for the replacment. I can not confirm this from Jag, but I think it is the Castrol ATF replacement fluid.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:20 PM

Sorry, did not say the tansmission I was talking about. ZF 5HP24

Old 10-21-2012, 08:57 AM

I dunno, to each his own, but as of today im still going strong with the Mobil1 synthetic detailed in earlier posts. It's the same spec as Esso, Jag, and all the rest with that number LTwhateveritwas.

The only difference with the synthetic is the tranny whines a bit more than it did before but otherwise shifts just fine, in DC area traffic too. That was 20k miles ago and no problems since. So not feeling any regret over passing up Jag fluid at $70 bucks a quart.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:10 PM

I went with amsiol. It meets ZF TE-ML 14A. The tanmission mones at 10 mph now (113000 miles) with no fluil change. Anything would be better than what is in it now. It looked like mud. Amsiol fluid exceeds all the specs. We will see they all say that.
Also the number of tans fluids that meet the spec. are as long as my arm.