XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blinker fluid anarchy

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 08:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blinker fluid anarchy

How is the cleaning fluid supposed to work for the headlights when the wiper button is pushed? The windshield is cleaned just fine, but it seems like at random times wiper fluid suds shoot out of my headlights and land on my car, which leaves spots on my beautiful new cleaning job. Most recently it came raining down on my when the top was down. I’m assuming this isn’t normal?

How is it intended to work? Do they even work?

Old 06-17-2015, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

The documentation I've read states that the headlight washer system is activated every sixth time that the wiper wash button is pressed. Since the 2006 XK8 is my wife's daily driver and I rarely drive it, I have no way of knowing if this is accurate. We've owned the car since early February 2012 and I remember witnessing the system function one time when I was behind the wheel but that was probably a year or more ago. She never complains about the headlight washer system so I never check it. Perhaps I should....

Old 06-17-2015, 09:00 AM
Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Don't quote me but I think the headlight washers are active when the headlights are switched on - pretty sure that's how they work on my 2001 XKR

Old 06-17-2015, 09:00 AM
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Skippy_McFitz
How is the cleaning fluid supposed to work for the headlights when the wiper button is pushed? The windshield is cleaned just fine, but it seems like at random times wiper fluid suds shoot out of my headlights and land on my car, which leaves spots on my beautiful new cleaning job. Most recently it came raining down on my when the top was down. I’m assuming this isn’t normal?

How is it intended to work? Do they even work?
Yep, that's they way they are supposed to work. Accomplishes nothing but mess up your nicely washed car. Theoretically supposed to wash the headlights. Just a waste. Nuisance.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by BlkCat
Yep, that's they way they are supposed to work. Accomplishes nothing but mess up your nicely washed car. Theoretically supposed to wash the headlights. Just a waste. Nuisance.
I agree! How is it supposed to help even working as intended anyway? I think without any scrubbing mechanism it doesn't do anything.

Welp..I guess I'll just wear a hat next time I need to wash the windshield :P

Has anybody managed to block it or disable it?

Old 06-17-2015, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

I agree! How is it supposed to help even working as intended anyway? I think without any scrubbing mechanism it doesn't do anything.

Welp..I guess I'll just wear a hat next time I need to wash the windshield :P

I took the headlight wash pump out and used the hole in the reservoir to mount the fitting for the water meth injection system. That disabled it pretty well.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Pull fuse #7 in the left hand engine compartment fusebox.

The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
Johnken (06-18-2015), Skippy_McFitz (06-17-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Skippy_McFitz,
If your headlight washers are spraying over the top of your car (like mine was doing), I'm pretty sure you've got a blocked line to the windshield sprayers, and the extra pressure sent to the headlight washers is pushing the fluid way out of its normal range. When you press the washer button, are you getting fluid on both sides of the windshield? I bet not.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by tberg
Skippy_McFitz,
If your headlight washers are spraying over the top of your car (like mine was doing), I'm pretty sure you've got a blocked line to the windshield sprayers, and the extra pressure sent to the headlight washers is pushing the fluid way out of its normal range. When you press the washer button, are you getting fluid on both sides of the windshield? I bet not.
Yeah they both come out both sides at the same rate..but I think you may be on to something.. they both come out 'sudsy'..is the line set up like some sort of 'Y' from the fluid resivoir? It's possible there's a blockage at the base of the line causing the soap to bubble/expand (sort of like a shaving cream can)?

just spit-ballin'

Old 06-18-2015, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

I hate to say it (bad memories) but don't forget your forward speed determines where that headlight washer's spray lands. I made the mistake if running the washers with the roof down at a stop light with headlights on - shot my passenger right in the eye. Believe me you don't want to go through that, it was a bad day.

My thanks to White XKR for the suggestion, I'm pulling that fuse #7 tonight.