XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Antenna Mast

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 09:19 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Broken Antenna Mast

My Antenna mast broke this weekend while I was in a car wash (forgot to shut cd player off). I wanted to know if anyone knows how much it might cost to fix at a dealer? I don't have a reliable mechanic outside of Huntington Jaguar in Long Island NY and they are quite expensive.

If anyone knows of a good mechanic on Long Island that doesn't expect you to hand over your life savings please let me know. I am mid island in the Hicksville area.

Thanks

Old 06-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

It's really simple to do yourself. Almost no trouble. Get a cold beer or two and you'll be done your fix before you're done your beer.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Eagle21
My Antenna mast broke this weekend while I was in a car wash (forgot to shut cd player off). I wanted to know if anyone knows how much it might cost to fix at a dealer? I don't have a reliable mechanic outside of Huntington Jaguar in Long Island NY and they are quite expensive.

If anyone knows of a good mechanic on Long Island that doesn't expect you to hand over your life savings please let me know. I am mid island in the Hicksville area.

Thanks
It's a DIY job.

Antenna Mast Replacement - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Next time check the sticky thread, just about every fix you can think of is listed. It makes it easy for you to decide if you want to do it or have it done by a mechanic.

Gotta love this forum.

The following users liked this post:
Eagle21 (06-28-2011)
Old 06-28-2011, 06:59 AM

I had checked the threads and actually ordered a mast yesterday and will take a shot at fixing it. I have done some plumbing and electrical work in my house based upon a diagram and or reversing what I took apart and I was successful at that. WHy not try this?
The only concern I have is that the location of this thing is really awkward sitting behind the cd player. Might be difficult to navigate.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:40 AM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I replaced the mask myself. Ordered a new one on Amazon or Ebay (can't remember which) for about $30 or $40.

You do not need to remove the antenna mechanism from the car as long as the white cable at the bottom of the antenna is not broken. You do everything from the outside of the car.

You just need to remove the bolt on the top of the car which was a little difficult as my wrench's didn't grab it well, but doable and I am not very mechanically inclined - this is probably the only complete DIY repair I've made by myself to my Jag other than replacing a fuse or the windshield wipers.

Look through the internet for instructions on how to replace it - here is one site [click here] - there are many others. I saw this thread but couldn't view the instructions (guess I'm too new here or something).

Old 06-28-2011, 03:08 PM
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Check DISCOUNT AUTO ANTENNAS discount auto antennas for a full Jaguar replacement for $50+ $10 delivery fee.

Power antenna's are very easy to install--just a 5 minute job.

The factory antenna will set you back many times that amount--and is no better.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought one off eBay that came with full instructions. It took me about 20 minutes, it's not hard at all - just follow the instructions and take note which way the teeth are facing when you pull the old one off. It's all done from the outside, so don't worry about the CD player. (unless you bought the entire unit because that failed?) Mine snapped off in the car wash, so the mast was the only issue - not the power mast motor. GL!

Old 06-30-2011, 10:17 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

...and when your new antenna is up and functioning, add a little switch under the center console that'll lower the antenna at your command - instead of when any source is playing. Its an easy DIY project also and instructions are in the forums!

Old 06-30-2011, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

It would have taken me longer to get a cold beer than do this install. Mine was just bent. Remove the nut, turn the radio on, pull it out, put the new in, turn the radio off and tighten the nut. All you have to watch is the orientation of the cable teeth; as long as they aren't stripped out.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Default Antenna Mast Replacement

Well this is certainly the place to go for insight and information. I want to thank all my friends out there for their input. I got my replacement antenna today and I got a new 14mm open ended wrench to remove the nut.

I plan on following the process tomorrow described in the article sent by lsimon. I hope it is as easy as they claim, and that the plastic hasn't broken off within the mechanism as that will require a lot more effort.

I will report in before July 4th.

Have a great holiday weekend everyone!