Sponsored by:

Changed plugs on XK8 and now engine stalls

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 05:39 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by Gus:
BigMike001 (07-14-2013), RichD (07-08-2013)
Old 06-26-2013, 05:50 PM
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Here is your pic with the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor circled in yellow.

As Jag#4 mentioned above, it looks like the wire plug is connected to it properly. It wouldn't hurt to check to make sure the plug is seated all the way onto the connector.

Attached Thumbnails Changed plugs on XK8 and now engine stalls-maf.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by bsprowls:
BigMike001 (07-14-2013), RichD (07-08-2013)
Old 07-08-2013, 10:27 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up She lives!

Just a quick note to say the Jag is running again after all your help. I will provide further details as soon as I get a few more minutes but thanks to everyone for all their help and suggestions. Hint: it was the battery.

The following users liked this post:
BigMike001 (07-14-2013)
Old 07-18-2013, 12:52 PM
Default Summary to date

Okay, first off, a big thanks to all the great people on this forum for their help and guidance. This is one of those awesome uses of the internet.

To provide some details on the resolution:

I invited my buddy and his family over to our house for a bbq as his wife wanted some work done on her laptop. I suggested we do the barter thing since that is what I do for a living and he is a professional mechanic working at an Acura dealership.

We reviewed what I had done by putting the new plugs back in again and he assured me I had done everything the right way. He earned another beer for that one.

We checked for spark while the plugs were out and everything looked good.

The Jag still would not start so we checked the fuel pressure and found lots of that getting to where it needed to go. More beer.

Finally after confirming the MAF connection was good we tried the "starting while holding the gas foot down". She sounded like she wanted to catch as previous, but refused to do so. I had my battery charger hooked up while trying this and I noticed the cranking starting to die off, so I suggested we connect his car to boost the Jag's battery.

Vrooom. The battery did not have enough juice after all this to start the engine on its own but once boosted she started right away. Pretty sure the battery is the original one so it's been doing a good job for 14 years and I shouldn't complain. Celebratory beer or two.

My buddy figures that the ECU saw a low signal from the battery when we were trying to get it going and chose to send an increased amount of gas because it figured it was cold out, thus flooding the engine with a too rich supply. Does that make sense? Sounds plausible but what do I know?

Once I had her going I drove it for a few days and the original problem of going into Restricted Mode reappeared. Checking the codes I saw that the problem had moved from #5 cylinder to #6 cylinder along with the coil that it was suggested I move. That indicated to me the coil was faulty and I ordered a replacement online.

I installed that one last night and the Jag is once again purring with the new plugs and a new coil on #6. Fingers are crossed that this has resolved the original problems I was experiencing and it has been a great learning experience.

I think I have bonded with my kitty even more.

Last edited by RichD; 07-18-2013 at 12:55 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RichD:
franksm (05-31-2016), Norri (07-18-2013)
Old 07-18-2013, 12:58 PM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

Thanks for the update Rich, fingers crossed you have fixed it.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:34 PM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

Nothing like your car challenging your wits and patience to make you love it even more. It's all part of the fun for me!

Old 07-30-2013, 08:06 PM
Default 1 step forward, 3 steps back

It seems the more love I give this beast, the less I get back.

I bought a new battery due to the previous issues and reading about hard resets, I did that before I swapped in the new battery. Turns out the battery I pulled was from 2007and so it was new when I got the car.

The Resricted Performance had been coming on sporadically and going away on its own after some minutes of driving. This has been continuing to happen with the RP coming on ***** nilly and then going away.
(Is there no way to disable the RP?)

I just read the codes again and they are attached. Seems worse than when I started. Well folks, I am off to do some more reading in the forums but I am open to more of your valued insights if you feel you can help. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Changed plugs on XK8 and now engine stalls-trouble-codes-7-30-13.jpg  
Old 07-30-2013, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by RichD
It seems the more love I give this beast, the less I get back.

I bought a new battery due to the previous issues and reading about hard resets, I did that before I swapped in the new battery. Turns out the battery I pulled was from 2007and so it was new when I got the car.

The Resricted Performance had been coming on sporadically and going away on its own after some minutes of driving. This has been continuing to happen with the RP coming on ***** nilly and then going away.
(Is there no way to disable the RP?)

I just read the codes again and they are attached. Seems worse than when I started. Well folks, I am off to do some more reading in the forums but I am open to more of your valued insights if you feel you can help. Thanks!

My guess is it looks worse than it is. I'll bet all this is from a bad coil in cylinder 8 (US driver's side, nearest firewall). Swap it with the coil next to it ('7' or 'G') , clear the faults and see if the problem moves to coil 7/G to prove it.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:20 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Restricted Performance can come from many things and now that you replaced the plugs I would recommend that you go back and check all the vacuum lines and the air intake pipe to see that you have no leaks and at the same time verify that all your electrical plugs are seated properly. I would then clear all your faults now that you documented them and start again.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:17 AM
Default Update that I forgot to do

Just in case someone comes across this old post and it helps them.

I did replace another COP and that resolved the problem. The car has been running without any issues for 2 years now.

Thanks again to all the members for their help.

The following 2 users liked this post by RichD:
cjd777 (05-30-2016), Sir Alex of Yotto (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 08:34 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Happy Ending Required

These threads are worthless, literally, a waste of time to read, without the final resolution of the initial problem given.

Thanks for tying up this loose end (especially because I'm having a similar problem!!!)

Old 06-09-2016, 01:45 AM
Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

I agree. It is frustrating to follow a thread all the way to the end, especially one that is several pages long, only to find that it ends at the point where several easy solutions are posted at once, and the original poster is never heard of again; so it can only be assumed that one of the solutions proposed fixed their vehicle.

Beyond that, there is no 'clue' in some cases, as to which solution proposed was the one that actually worked. Or, if the original poster came across something simple like an unplugged connector on their own, while following instructions provided by a forum member offering help, and without any closure to the thread, i.e. it ended up being 'X', car is running great now, thanks, 'ElectricPsychadelicPussyCatSwingersClubJagMan69', for all your help.

Damn, I should have used that for my user name.